5.0 out of 5 stars WHIMSICAL COMING-OF-AGE ROMANTIC CAPER
Published on September 7, 2004 by Shashank Tripathi

3.0 out of 5 stars BIZARRE BUT CHARMING
Unlike a lot of the other reviewers here, I didn't think the movie was a "classic" worthy of 5 stars. It certainly doesn't come near "Harold And Maude" nor "The Graduate" in caliber. On the other hand, it wasn't a bomb either. I liked the movie because the 3 main characters were complex; at times loathsome and at other times endearing...
Published on September 7, 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars WHIMSICAL COMING-OF-AGE ROMANTIC CAPER, September 7, 2004
This review is from: Rushmore (DVD)
What surprises me about Wes Andersen is that he is so in command of his silver screen he defies just about every convention of film making and still manages to come up with a riveting diversion of a movie. You know, that rare brand that makes you laugh but you're not exactly sure what you are laughing about. A movie with the mordant tone of Donnie Darko or The Royal Tennenbaums.

And Rushmore I'd contend is the most extraordinary feather in his illustrious cap to date. It is difficult to classify. Romance features as a pervasive undercurrent, full of mercurial dialogue and quirky moments, but it's not merely a romantic-comedy. It's not even your average angst-filled coming-of-age story. It's an oddity with a flowy screenplay that begs to be discovered individually, for oneself.

The acting all round is top notch. Schwatzman, our young protagonist, is very intriguing in his potrayal of an academically challenged overachiever. Murray delivers a rock solid sad-sack performance as usual, his long face speaking volumes.

The brand of subtle humour may not spring out to everyone but is hilarious when pondered over. For instance,

"Are you a neurosurgeon?"

"No, I'm a barber. But many people make that mistake."

It's anything but an ordinary movie, it does not follow the typical mindset of opening-body-conclusion and its funky vibe may not appeal to everyone. But if you have an appetite for the unusual, it's a very, very beautiful caper and all its weirdness makes perfect sense within its context.

Can't recommend it highly enough for the discerning eye.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie, April 30, 2004
This review is from: Rushmore (DVD)
I am a little surprised that so many other people failed to see the merits of this movie. First, this was not a typical predictable Hollywood movie with a predictable ending. Second, it was not a re-hash of some old story line with the same old actors. It is a very well written comedic coming of age movie. Few movies take the time or effort to develop complex, flawed and genuine characters, but director Wes Anderson apparently understands the value of doing so. The emotionally stagnating business tycoon Herman Blume is played brilliantly by Bill Murray - the disappointment he feels with his banal life and idiotic children is wrenchingly palpable. But Rushmore Academy student and quirky prodigy Max Fischer enters Herman Blume's dull life, renewing his enthusiam. The movie is both thought provoking and hilarious. Particularly enjoyable are Max's adaptations of "Serpico" and "Platoon" for the high-school drama club. Hands down this was the best comedy produced in the 90's. With the decade that produced MTV sex and bathroom joke frat boy movies, this film offers an intelligent script, cast of characters, and an excellent soundtrack.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Rushmore" will restore your faith in movies, June 5, 1999
By A Customer
That's a bold statement, but it's true. I could complain about how Bill Murray and everyone involved was robbed by not receiving any Oscar nominations, but with a film like this, it doesn't matter. In a year with two Elizabethan dramas and two World War II pictures nomated for Best Picture, Rushmore stood out as a true original. I read glowing reviews for the movie when it played for one week in LA and missed it, but caught it the second time it came out. I was eager going into see it, having loved Wes Anderson's first movie "Bottle Rocket" (also, Owen Wilson co-wrote both scripts with Anderson). I was amazed at what I saw. This is definetly one of the funniest American movies in a long time, and Max Fischer is one of the great characters of all time. Wes Anderson has a sensibility in his films of dry humor paired with true emotions and feelings. The characters in "Bottle Rocket" and Max Fischer share naive dreams that are impossible, but they're so damn likable you're heartbroken when they come up short. For weeks, I couldn't stop talking or thinking about this movie. So many scenes still are fresh in my mind, like the introduction of Max in all of his clubs, and Bill Murray doing the cannonball into his backyard pool. The cinematography and editing are great, and the soundtrack rocks. In just two movies Anderson has set himself apart from the Tarantinos of the indie film world and has proved himself to be one of the best writers and directors working today.

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air, May 4, 2000
This review is from: Rushmore [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I began watching this movie after a few months of trawling my way through the endless chasm of "teen" movies. This included such films as the rather dull Cruel Intentions and the frankly dire American Pie. I admit I am usually hard to please, so at the end of my tether this would need to be superb to return my faith in the Amercian movie industry.
I was not disappointed. This was an absolute gem of a movie - perfect in execution, consistently witty, often moving, and always thoroughly enjoyable. I rarely watch a film again immediately after finishing it. This film, I watched three times over the two days I rented it.
The acting was spot on. The love-struck,geeky, selfish - yet strangley likeable hero, Max, was played to perfection by Schwartzman, and Bill Murray gave a wonderfully underplayed performance as the lonely, sullen, somewhat lost businessman who befreinds Max. Williams turns in a great performance as the love-interest, and though still a slightly stereotyped Englishwoman, in Rushmore Williams makes it somehow more charming than annoying. The soundtrack is also perfectly matched to the movie. I always believe a good soundtrack adds depth to a movie - hightens your emotions, and Lennon, Stevens and co. do just that.
When this film finished you knew it was a classic. From start to finish it is perfectly executed, avoiding cheesy moments, and constantly enthralling. Perhaps most strangely, it is not necessarily a new plot idea, its just been done here so well, that it deserves a place among the finest movies of the last few years. Classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Sic transit gloria. Glory fades", September 14, 2000
The Criterion edition of "Rushmore" is a phenomenal package that fans of the movie should not be without. But first, the movie itself is a real treat. Max Fischer (Jason Schwartzman), 10th grade student of Rushmore academy, is involved in playwriting and numerous extra-cirricular activities. The only problem is he faces expulsion due to his lack luster grades. Towards the beginning of the film he comes to admire Mr. Blume, a self made millionaire in a bad marriage played wonderfully by Bill Murray. The two of them become good friends, each displaying a mutual respect for one another, until they both fall for the same woman, a widowed first grade teacher played by Olivia Williams. If anything, this movie shows the hardships of growing up as a teenager and coming to terms with feelings so overwhelming (in this case unrequited love) that you can't deal with them. Funny, poignant, and intelligent, it's an excellent coming of age story highlighted by the incredible performances of all the players. The Criterion DVD is packed with a trailer, a Charlie Rose show segment with both Bill Murray and director/co-writer Wes Anderson, an audio commentary with Wes Anderson, co-writer Owen Wilson, and Jason Schwartzman, "Making of..." documentary, audition footage, and more. Excellent movie, excellent special features. Need I say more?

5.0 out of 5 stars Got me excited about movies again, December 23, 1999
This review is from: Rushmore (DVD)
For years I loved movies, couldn't get enough of them. Then all of a sudden I stopped going to them, stopped watching them except for the occasional daliance. This movie got me excited about movies again. It's a movie in a class by itself, there is no genre or enough words to describe it. It amazes me how many of the reviewers on here hated this movie. The ones who hated it, really HATED it. What is wrong with people today? This is the audience that made me dislike movies, the masses that require cookie cutter plots, pointless action, and thoughtless humor in order to be satisfied. It isn't often a complete gem of a movie comes along and grabs me but this one did. Bill Murray turns in his best performance ever. I'm sure the people going into this movie expecting Mr. Crazy-Funny-Groundhog-Day Bill Murray were sadly disappointed by a Bill Murray who can actually convey the gammut of emotions in a single movie. I have extraordinary respect for Mr. Murray, more so now than I did before. And the kid who plays Max really surprised me. I can't remember what his name is and I don't want to look it up but I know he's related to Talia Shire somehow. He's going to be one to watch. As long as movies like this keep coming out once in a while (for another gem, check out "Election") I won't let the simpleton American movie grinches who seem to populate the key demographics on movie producers' exit poll ratings flow charts ruin my good time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Superb, March 2, 2004
I wish there were more movies like this one. It's totally off-the-wall, but has intelligence and a warm heart. At first, I wasn't sure if this movie was going to be my cup of tea: The kid and his friends just reek of weirdness.
But, I was hopelessly drawn to them in minutes, and interested in what they were going to do or say.
Bill Murray excels in this movie. Forget "Lost in Translation", THIS film contains his best work. He truly shows an emotional scale that ranges from A to Z.
The supporting oddball characters are mercilessly intriguing. Just when you think they're coming out of left field (or from another planet), they show their humanity. End result: you end up liking them...a lot.
The music is right on target, especially Cat Stevens. The instrumental portions are appropriately playful and memorable.
I loved this movie. It's a masterpiece.
The packaging is superb, and the DVD contains enough bonus material to make this one fine purchase. Yep, it costs a lot, but the old adage is true: You get what you pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality and High Quantity, November 28, 2000
Jeremy D. Stoll (Bethesda, MD USA) - See all my reviews
I must confess a bias as Rushmore was already my favorite film after seeing it on the big screen and on video rental. The Criterion Collection DVD, though, has made the best even better. If you love this movie, this disc is a MUST OWN! Feature length commentary, a making-of-documentary, and more provide HOURS of tremendous behind the scenes insight. If you only kind of like the movie, give this a shot. And if you dont like the movie or have never seen it, you are really missing out. Certainly not without critical acclaim, it is my belief that Rushmore never found its niche upon its release, but over the course of five or ten years will become a premiere "cult classic," a term which I guess is a backhanded sort of compliment implying a narrow audience, but that audience (including me) is all the luckier to be a part of it.
Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson are an incredible writing team and composed one of the few scripts Bill Murray had ever seen that was nearly perfect. (Yes, I learned that in one of the many other extras on the disc.)
Its charming, whimsical, hilarious, bittersweetly romantic, and my favorite film of all time...and Ive seen a lot of them. The Criterion Collection DVD bumped it up from number one on my list to NUMBER ONE on my list.

5.0 out of 5 stars **Blu-Ray Review** An Absolutely Astonishing Upgrade, April 13, 2012
The Movie:

Easily Wes Anderson's best movie, this is Wes Anderson "for the rest of us." It is nowhere near as arch or twee as his later movies. It still has his quirky style and music usage, but the characters are actually relatable and the plot is relatively straightforward. It has a number of noteworthy performances, especially the central three, Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray and Olivia Willliams. I've seen it a good ten times in the last 13 years, and it is a rewarding view each time.

The Blu-Ray:

This is an EXTREMELY impressive transfer. Criterion did a fresh 2k scan under the supervision of director Wes Anderson, along with a thorough clean-up of dirt and print damage. Detail is superb both in close-ups and wide-angled shots. Facial detail is outstanding, among the best on the format. So is cloth texture - some of the tweedy and hounds-tooth jackets are amazing. Colors are lush and vibrant but free of any bleeding or over-saturation. Black levels are stout and never waver, but still retain perfect detail near black. Grain is stable, light, and omnipresent. There is no edge enhancement, noise reduction, or anything untoward or artificial. This looks as much like the film as a Blu-Ray can, and I say this having seen it three times in the theater.

I did some comparisons between the Criterion DVD and the Blu-Ray, and the difference is literally like having Lasik surgery or something - practically every shot is crystal clear, and is competitive with the best high definition video out there today. This is not one of those discs where you won't be able to tell the difference between BD and DVD. It is an absolute slam dunk upgrade.

Better still, all of the comprehensive extras and commentary are carried over from the previous disc. So sell it, use it as a coaster, target practice, whatever. There is no need to hang onto it. It has been totally and utterly destroyed in quality by the new Blu-Ray.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alright, here's the deal with "Rushmore"..., November 26, 1999
This review is from: Rushmore (DVD)
Okay, here's what you have to understand about Rushmore. You will either love it...or hate it. There is no middle ground. Two of my friends LOVED it. They even bought the soundtrack. Two of my friends hated it. They were bored out of their minds. They could not understand how I enjoyed it. I love it! I think its witty and well put together. Plus, who can't love Jason Schwartzman? But my advice to the perspective buyer is RENT IT FIRST! Just to be safe.

Rushmore
Rushmore by Wes Anderson (DVD - 1999)
$9.99 $6.71