4.0 out of 5 stars Great price, but be warned
Published on November 29, 2008 by TW

1.0 out of 5 stars not 100%cotton
i purchased these shirts because the description said 100% cotton. they are 53%polyester. for 3 shirts, not worth returning, but i am dissatisfied with the product and the incorrect description.
Published on September 13, 2010 by Michael J. Bianco

4.0 out of 5 stars Great price, but be warned, November 29, 2008
This review is from: Russell Athletic Men's Cotton Muscle Shirt (Apparel)
Like another reviewer, I bought one of these to see how the fit and quality would be. The quality is nice for the price. The fit is where the warning comes in. I typically have to buy athletic cut shirts as a former football player, my shoulders and neck are bigger than the regular cut shirts are made. I bought a 3X, though I usually only wear a 2X in most shirts, as long as they are athletic cut. Well, the 3X is too tight. The cut out area around the shoulders doesn't quite cover my shoulders and the neck, as another reviewer mentioned, is way too small for a 3X shirt.

On a positive note, I am back here to order 3 of the 4X ones. I do really like the lightweight material of the shirt and everything about it, except the cut of it.

Hopefully this will help any of you that are wondering about the cut. From the best I can tell it is regular cut, not athletic cut. The difference for me is that I can wear a 2X comfortably in athletic cut, but I'm going to need a 4X in this one.

Still a good product, feels like it will be perfect for working out or just sitting around the house on weekends in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well built and hold their color, September 1, 2007
I ordered these shirts because my husband wears muscle shirts most of the time, and the ones that I bought from Wally World didn't hold their color, and within six months developed holes in them. I washed these shirts and hung them out on the clothes line for two days, and normally the other shirts developed a line where the color faded from hanging out to dry. Not these! They hold their color great, and I don't have to worry if I can't get them off of the line for a couple days. I'm not sure about the wear time, but I will update the review in six months to tell how well they stayed put together. I do plan to order more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Black version is 100% cotton..., September 30, 2009
As some reviewers have pointed out, despite the Amazon product description (as of 09/30/09), not all of the colors of this short (or the shorts from the same/similar line) are 100% cotton. In the case of the black color, both the shirt and shorts that I received were 100% cotton. FWIW, I prefer a poly-cotton blend in my workout clothes since they tend to deal with sweat more effectively - and I do sweat a lot... Anyhoooo...

The cut of these shirts (and shorts) are generous, which is great for working out IMHO, but can understand where it could be an issue for others. I would not consider them huge by any means but would recommend ordering a size down if you want a more accurate fit in the poly-cotton blend versions since they will not shrink, unlike the 100% cotton versions. The black shirt and shorts shrank a bit after the first wash, making them a "less generous" size medium, but not enough to consider ordering the next larger size. Downside is that, as with most 100% cotton clothing, a slight amount of color fading was already noticeable following the first washing.

I had bought these shirts and the matching shorts in heather and dark grey (both of which I would rate 5 stars for quality and value) before buying in black. Both the heather and dark grey are a poly-cotton blend and would recommend those over the black simply because the blended material seems like it would hold up better over years of washings. Neither has shrunk nor shown much color fading even after several washings.

Please note that the 100% cotton material seems very sturdy as well but loses a star since the poly-cotton versions seem to offer better value (IMHO). However, if you are looking for 100% cotton workout gear, you will be hard pressed to find a better deal - just stick to the black version for now.

Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Budget friendly and well made!, September 11, 2011
C. B. Holbert (Inland Northwest) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Athletic Men's Cotton Muscle Shirt (Apparel)
The sizing is accurate, the fabric is lightweight but not so much that you can see through it or expect it to fall apart soon. The arm holes and neck are the perfect proportions. Very happy with this shirt.

1.0 out of 5 stars not 100%cotton, September 13, 2010

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a good fit, but cheap, November 25, 2011
The fit is pretty large and not tapered at all. However, it is very cheap. If you are looking for a looser fit shirt with some extra room around the mid section, this is a good option for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars good inexpensive shirts - no all are %100 cotton, April 22, 2012
This review is from: Russell Athletic Men's Cotton Muscle Shirt (Apparel)
I've been looking for muscle shirts for a while. I finally came across these ones which were pretty cheap. I ordered black, white, gray, oxford, and red colors. It seems that the gray and oxford colors are NOT %100 cotton. They are only %50. The rest are %100 cotton. I tried returning and purchasing new ones a few times but it seems that this is the way it is. I contacted Amazon support and they couldn't guarantee that I'll receive the %100 cotton - I don't quite know what is the deal.

Anyways, the shirts are also oversized - I initially ordered large which was too big for me. Medium fits well even after laundry/dryer.

1.0 out of 5 stars False advertising, June 20, 2013
This review is from: Russell Athletic Men's Cotton Muscle Shirt (Apparel)
I purposefully bought these shirts in the non Heathered color because the description said they were 100% cotton. Not only are they NOT 100% cotton, the cotton content is less than half. My husband finds them hot and uncomfortable. I'm not going to bother returning them, but I am extremely dissatisfied.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality shirt, November 18, 2010
Ordered several different colors of these shirts and was extremely dissatisfied. They are very thin and, because of that, anticipated to not wear well. Have ordered Russell in the past (with great satisfaction) but apparently not the same shirt. Would not recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Shirt!, October 19, 2014
This is a very comfortable and well made shirt. The shirt itself is not tapered down like a tight fitting shirt. Rather, it is cut like a regular tee shirt that hangs straight down with no sleeves. That being said, if your body has a taper, like mine, it will look great. If your body does not have a taper, even better.....because this shirt gives you room and does not accentuate a large belly. I personally find this shirt very comfortable and would definitely buy more. I have a 48" chest and the XL is perfect for me :)

Russell Athletic Men's Cotton Muscle Shirt