5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for the price
These are my first choice for a basic t-shirt. I wear them alone and under other shirts. There is some variablity in the exactly what you get: some of mine are 100% cotton, while others are the poly blend; some have hot-press R decals on the sleeve, while others are embroidered. Both versions are equally comfortable.

I've also found that these shirts don't...
Published on September 8, 2006 by C. Bender

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT 100% Cotton
Published on August 6, 2006 by W. Gordon

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT 100% Cotton, August 6, 2006
This review is from: Russell Athletic Men's Basic Cotton Tee (Apparel)
Under product features it states "100% Cotton" they are actually 58% polyester/42% cotton (at least the 2 I received which were Large colors-Graphite and Oxford). They will breathe, only because they are VERY lightweight. Very thin cotton that I do not expect to last more than a few washings. I would have been better off getting basic Hanes color T's at Walmart for $3.99 each.

UPDATE 12/4/2009 - 3 years old now and they have held up fine. After researching the Russell Athletic website the gray tones are a poly mixture, the other colors are 100% cotton. If you are looking for the old-school heavy duty quality search for "Russell Athletic PERFORMANCE", these are the T's I grew up with and last for decades, but I'm overall happy with the basic line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for the price, September 8, 2006
C. Bender "cb" (Stony Brook, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Athletic Men's Basic Cotton Tee (Apparel)

I've also found that these shirts don't strech, shrink, or otherwise deform like many cheap t-shirts are prone to do. They are very good at keeping their shape.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what they used to be..., April 1, 2012
The most important thing about a cotton tee is that it NOT shrink in the vertical.

Russel tee's didn't used to and that's why I buy them.

This latest batch pretty much joins the pantheon of cheap crappy tee shirts that after the first wash are unwearable because they shrink until they don't tuck into my pants and get so wide in the body they feel like wearing very short tent.

Guess I'm looking for a new brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars These are NOT the good thick, high-quality Russell Ts., January 18, 2012
This review is from: Russell Athletic Men's Basic Cotton Tee (Apparel)
If you're looking for the good, thick Russell Athletic T-shirts, do not waste your time with these. These are not them. I have a drawer full of R.A. T shirts, they're getting old. I wanted to replace some of them. I researched as best I could before buying these through Amazon.com. They came today. They're no better than the run-of-the-mill, thin, budget T-shirts that you can buy at Walmart. I'm sending the three I bought back.

5.0 out of 5 stars List of 100% Cotton Colors, February 22, 2011
This review is from: Russell Athletic Men's Basic Cotton Tee (Apparel)
I bought these for my husband and he likes them. They are a lot cheaper than at local sporting goods store chains where he previously purchased them. Being a big & tall man he'd like them to be a little longer but they are decent in that regard. He has a strong sensitivity to fabrics that are not 100% cotton. We've bought three shirts so far and waiting on two more.

Colors that are 100% cotton:

1. Black
2. Royal Blue

Colors that are not 100% cotton:

1. Graphite.

Waiting for the following colors to arrive, will update:

1. True Red
2. Columbia Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap., June 29, 2006
I bought this item because it was really cheap. The little "R" logo on the sleeve fell off in 1 week of athletic activity, but the fabric is very good and it seems this shirt will last a good long time

1.0 out of 5 stars Low Quality, December 14, 2011
Kenneth Schwartzkopf (Pleasantville, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Athletic Men's Basic Cotton Tee (Apparel)
I have been buying Russell tees for years and they had the best High Quality thick cotton tee shirt for any price around. This is a company that has lost its way. I was very disappointed in this tee shirt and would not buy another one. Very thin!! Do not waste your money.
Does anybody make a thick 100% cotton tee shirt anymore?

5.0 out of 5 stars Good basic T-shirt, September 18, 2012
Ken (New York, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Athletic Men's Basic Cotton Tee (Apparel)
I wear these everyday. Unlike the 3 for $10 T-shirts from Chinatown, these don't shrink or bleach on the first wash. Unlike the cheap T-shirts that come in 5-packs, these are thicker and much stronger so that I don't rip them when taking them off. The only thing I can complain about is the ridiculous tag near the bottom back-left side that scrapes against my skin while wearing it, but it isn't a big deal since I cut it off.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the bunch, February 7, 2007
This review is from: Russell Athletic Men's Basic Cotton Tee (Apparel)
I recently got tired of buying 4-packs of t-shirts at Wal-Mart and having all but one from each pack shrink to unwearable sizes after one wash. I decided to try a few of the different t-shirts offered here on Amazon. I ordered this Russel t-shirt, a Hanes Perfect-T, and an Artiga t-shirt. Of the 3, this is the only one that did not shrink and/or flare at the waist after washing and drying.

The material is heavier than most cheap t-shirts. The one I received is 100% cotton, tagless and doublestitched at the sleeves, neck and waist hems. Overall, a great buy, and I will be buying several more of these to replace all the junk t-shirts I have bought over the past few years. Although the tag doesn't indicate it, I suspect that these shirts are made from pre-shrunk cotton.

I personally think these shirts are a great value considering I don't expect to have to relegate these shirts to the rag bin after a few washes. The confidence in a good product is worth the extra money to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Basic T-Shirt, May 12, 2007
GardenerbobW "GardenerbobW" (Long Island, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I work outdoors and like to wear a T-shirt with jeans as my usual outfit.

So, when it comes to T-shirts, I can be a bit demanding. For years I was buying my T-shirts from the Gap, but they tended to disintegrate after a short time. One day the Gap was under renovation and I need to buy some more T-shirts. I went to a sporting goods store in the Mall and bought a few Russell Athletic T-shirts.

What a difference, the cotton was twice a dense, the cut was nice and full-allowing free movement and the price was half that at the Gap.

My shirts seem to last longer and the color doesn't fade like the others.

I have bought other Russell products, and find their quality to be superior to their competitors.