Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Russell Athletic Men's Basic Cotton T-Shirt
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on August 6, 2006
Under product features it states "100% Cotton" they are actually 58% polyester/42% cotton (at least the 2 I received which were Large colors-Graphite and Oxford). They will breathe, only because they are VERY lightweight. Very thin cotton that I do not expect to last more than a few washings. I would have been better off getting basic Hanes color T's at Walmart for $3.99 each.

UPDATE 12/4/2009 - 3 years old now and they have held up fine. After researching the Russell Athletic website the gray tones are a poly mixture, the other colors are 100% cotton. If you are looking for the old-school heavy duty quality search for "Russell Athletic PERFORMANCE", these are the T's I grew up with and last for decades, but I'm overall happy with the basic line.
55 comments|199 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2012
The most important thing about a cotton tee is that it NOT shrink in the vertical.

Russel tee's didn't used to and that's why I buy them.

This latest batch pretty much joins the pantheon of cheap crappy tee shirts that after the first wash are unwearable because they shrink until they don't tuck into my pants and get so wide in the body they feel like wearing very short tent.

Guess I'm looking for a new brand.
on September 8, 2006
These are my first choice for a basic t-shirt. I wear them alone and under other shirts. There is some variablity in the exactly what you get: some of mine are 100% cotton, while others are the poly blend; some have hot-press R decals on the sleeve, while others are embroidered. Both versions are equally comfortable.

I've also found that these shirts don't strech, shrink, or otherwise deform like many cheap t-shirts are prone to do. They are very good at keeping their shape.
on January 18, 2012
If you're looking for the good, thick Russell Athletic T-shirts, do not waste your time with these. These are not them. I have a drawer full of R.A. T shirts, they're getting old. I wanted to replace some of them. I researched as best I could before buying these through Amazon.com. They came today. They're no better than the run-of-the-mill, thin, budget T-shirts that you can buy at Walmart. I'm sending the three I bought back.
33 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2011
I have been buying Russell tees for years and they had the best High Quality thick cotton tee shirt for any price around. This is a company that has lost its way. I was very disappointed in this tee shirt and would not buy another one. Very thin!! Do not waste your money.
Does anybody make a thick 100% cotton tee shirt anymore?
on February 22, 2011
I bought these for my husband and he likes them. They are a lot cheaper than at local sporting goods store chains where he previously purchased them. Being a big & tall man he'd like them to be a little longer but they are decent in that regard. He has a strong sensitivity to fabrics that are not 100% cotton. We've bought three shirts so far and waiting on two more.

Colors that are 100% cotton:

1. Black
2. Royal Blue

Colors that are not 100% cotton:

1. Graphite.

Waiting for the following colors to arrive, will update:

1. True Red
2. Columbia Blue
33 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 18, 2012
I wear these everyday. Unlike the 3 for $10 T-shirts from Chinatown, these don't shrink or bleach on the first wash. Unlike the cheap T-shirts that come in 5-packs, these are thicker and much stronger so that I don't rip them when taking them off. The only thing I can complain about is the ridiculous tag near the bottom back-left side that scrapes against my skin while wearing it, but it isn't a big deal since I cut it off.
on June 29, 2006
I bought this item because it was really cheap. The little "R" logo on the sleeve fell off in 1 week of athletic activity, but the fabric is very good and it seems this shirt will last a good long time
on February 9, 2015
The fit was OK. Got some huge T shirts to sleep in and such.

But that doesn't really matter. Whoever made these shirts did not fix the dye. The dark blue dye got all over the person, in every conceivable place, stained their skin, and smeared the sheets with dark blue dye, too, from sleeping on them. The dye got in ears, under fingernails, and on towels from washing and drying hands. And by the way, before it was ever worn, the shirt was washed twice, then dried and put away.

Two of the Navy blue Russell Athletic Men's T shirts were ordered and both bled the blue dye profusely.

What type of factory that makes T shirts does not know that you have to fix the dye before you are done? Beware of this product.

Since the shirt is nice and roomy, we are going to try to fix the dye and then wash it in a laundry load with a color grabbing product. That is an expenditure of $25 more dollars for those products.

It never occurred to me that a name brand product would do this. Stop cutting costs please, and make these somewhere that knows what they are doing.
on November 2, 2014
I usually love russell products, but when you're making shirts in 15 different countries, there tends to be quality control differences. The head holes were too big on the batch that I received. Big loose head holes take any sharpness away from the look - at that point I might as well wear a crappy old white t-shirt and not impress anybody...hmm, that sounds like a good idea.