4.0 out of 5 stars Good general purpose shorts.
These are good general purpose shorts. I use these in lieu of pajamas when camping and as a cover up for bike shorts off the bike in restaurants or just walking around. I find the shorts a little long but that is ok. I will most likely buy another pair.
Published 16 months ago by M. Annette Karnak

2.0 out of 5 stars shapeless, oversized, but inexpensive
Published on May 27, 2009 by Scott W. Larson

2.0 out of 5 stars shapeless, oversized, but inexpensive, May 27, 2009
First, the material is strangely thick and stiff for athletic shorts. This would be good material for sweats in cold weather but these are shorts so all it does is collect sweat. The shorts are poorly shaped with oversized legs. This feels odd due to the stiff material. I feel like I'm running inside them instead of wearing them and I imagine this looks a little funny. Finally, no pockets limit their usefulness. Unless you need to save ten bucks, look at other pairs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good, some bad, July 7, 2010
I ordered 3 pairs. One gray, two black. The gray pair is great; soft, good proportions, fits well. The black pairs are comically large, thinner fabric, and not as soft. The black ones go way past my knees (I ordered large and I'm 6'4" so past my knees is a long way). I'm returning the black pairs (1 star). I would order more gray ones (5 stars) if I knew I would get the "good" size instead of the "comical" size.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheapest possible...and no pockets., May 16, 2009
Brooks A. Johnston (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews
In my drawer, I have an old pair of Russell cotton workout shorts which are comfortable and long lasting. So I wanted to have more. Knowing that the model I had was older, I couldn't find the exact thing. So I settled on the Russell Cotton workout short (42175MO). It arrived quickly and as ordered; however, the short itself is cheap and thin. It is so poorly shaped that it is uncomfortable in the legs. The fabric and the make are so low quality that I felt cheated. What's worse, the pants have no pockets. I can't use something this poor. I threw them away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good general purpose shorts., June 21, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Russell - knows how to save you money, September 11, 2013
There just a cheap pair of gym short, that work and are inexpensive, and by cheap I mean there not Nike's etc. They fit and look fine - very practical considering buying Nike cost you $65.00 and these cost $8.00. So yes I would say this was a good buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, January 14, 2014
kim (terre haute, indiana United States) - See all my reviews
These are nice shorts- they are cheaper in price so do expect them to be made a bit more cheaply you get what you pay for. That being said they are what I expected nice, comfy casual shorts. Great for either around the house, outdoors stuff, working out and things like that which is what I needed. A tad larger than expect but not to the point I cant wear them and more than likely will be fine after some washed. Overall I do like them and would order more of different colors

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sleep Shorts!, June 25, 2013
My husband really needed a new pair of sleep shorts, and these fit the bill! It arrived just a few days after ordering it and the only thing I wish it had was pockets.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Material, February 14, 2013
I thought that the shorts were going to be small on me, a 4x, but after wearing and washing only once the material became softer and actually became larger, a perfect 4xl. I know that some reviewers do not like the length, but I perfer it. The waist band is heavy duty and well sewn. The draw cord is of good material and heavy duty as well. I would buy more than three pair but I think that they will wear so well, I will not need another for a very long time.

Update 2/15/13
I received the other two pair that I mentioned in the opinion above. Well, the athletic shorts are not the same as the first pair. The material is of lessor quality, the waistband is of lessor quality. At the price I paid for them, they are worth the money, but the first pair are a much better buy. In today's world things change quickly, this change is a sour note.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Russel Shorts, March 18, 2011
I ordered the XXL Russel Athletic Jersey Field Shorts. They arrived in good time, and excellent condition. The shorts themselves are great. I am a middle-aged, overweight woman, and find them so comfortable and the coverage is great! With other men's athletic shorts I've tried (different brand), the shorts were ample enough in size, but the waist band was unusually snug. I had to give them to my size medium teenage son. With the Russell (I bought two different styles) the waist band was correct for the size of the rest of the shorts.
After wearing them for a few months, I'm annoyed that they're not colorfast, and they're full of bleach stains.

4.0 out of 5 stars No pocket running shorts, June 14, 2013
I like the way these fit on my husband and he said they were comfortable, they are no-pocket which is in the description, so he didn't want these as gym shorts, the other pair we purchased had pockets.
One thing, they shrunk a bit after washing and drying, and I mean length, it wasn't anything horrible, but they were a tad shorter. They are smooth and light, I didn't think they were overly heavy material wise. I would suggest these as walking or running shorts if that is what you are looking for. The price was right for the quality in my opinion. Hope this helps a bit.

Russell Athletic Men's Athletic No-pocket Short