5.0 out of 5 stars Comparison
I bought the same size (2XL) and similar style of three brands of active mesh shorts with pockets: Russell Athletic (http://amazon.com/dp/B00719ZQG6), Champion (http://amazon.com/dp/B0036OS6LW), and Starter (found in-store at Walmart).

Published 7 months ago by WedgeTalon

I bought these shorts because I liked the color, I liked the look. And as far as looks go, these shorts deliver. They also fit just fine.

These would be great if they were not of such low quality that one would think they were self-destructing by design. These are sub dollar store quality shorts.

I wouldn't be so emphatic, so convinced of this if it...
Published on August 17, 2012 by Max

5.0 out of 5 stars Comparison, May 11, 2014

I typically wear size 48 or 50 (48 is typically snug, 50 a tad loose). All three of these products advertise 2XL as fitting sizes 46-48. Due to the stretchiness, I found all three fit more forgivingly than my typical size, but otherwise were true to size. All three are very comfortable.

For length, the starter are the shortest (but not embarrassingly so), Champion has a medium length, and Russell comes just past my knee.

All three are slightly see-through (Starter least so), but not enough so that anyone could see anything from a casual inspection, especially if you wear similar colors underneath. I got all dark colors (either Navy or Black), so YMMV with lighter colors.

Of the three, I prefer the fit of the Russell Athletic the most. Champion tends to slip down in the back, as does the Starter to slightly a lesser degree. Because of this, with both the Champion and Starter I have to be very careful of the weight I put in the pockets; putting in my phone, wallet, and keys will make both brands quickly end up on the floor, whereas in the Russell I had no trouble walking around carrying all of those items. I have not tried running with that much weight yet. I still like both the Starter and Champion enough to keep them, but I would buy Russell next time instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Athletic shorts, nothing more, September 1, 2012
This review is from: Russell Athletic Men's Mesh Pocket Short (Apparel)
I have 3 pairs of these athletic shorts and they are great at wicking moisture. I can spend hours working out on the treadmill, and they remain perfectly dry. Elliptical? not even close to wet. Hours working outside in the hot GA summer sun? You bet, perfectly dry. As another reviewer mentioned, the Russell logo did start peeling on one pair of my shorts after a few weeks. On another pair, the drawstring got torn out after it got snagged on other clothing in the dryer. The shorts however have enough stretch in the waist that I never, ever, ever needed the drawstring. I could care less about the Russell logo, these shorts are perfect for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice shorts, July 5, 2012
I got my shorts today, and I really like them. They are light and soft. I think that for the price these are great shorts, they have pockets and an adjustable string in the waist.

5.0 out of 5 stars bargain price, August 23, 2012
you can't beat the quality in these shorts - a Russell product; excellent mesh shorts with pockets, all at an affordable price.

1.0 out of 5 stars My *second*, replacement pair fell apart after 2 weeks of normal wear. Lousy quality., August 17, 2012
Max (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews

I wouldn't be so emphatic, so convinced of this if it wasn't for the fact that these are the second, replacement pair that Amazon sent me. On a side note, Amazon provided excellent customer service, as always, with this purchase. On both pairs of shorts, the drawstring snapped after only 3 or 4 times wearing them. They might as well have held these shorts together with a length of yarn. On top of that, the Russell logo is already peeling off and the stitching is coming apart in a few places.

I can contrast these to an old pair of Russell shorts that I've owned for somewhere between 5 and 10 years. Those are great and still holding up nicely. My conclusion is that Russell's quality control has just gone downhill.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly made shorts, August 19, 2013
Judy Berkowitz (Boynton Beach, FL) - See all my reviews
These shorts are not made well. After the first washing, half of the draw string broke off, but I was able to sew it back on. After the second washing, the other half of the drawstring broke off. My husband has many other athletic shorts and this has never happened before. I will not buy this brand again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sizes are too big!, September 26, 2013
Love the brand but prefer "double" mesh shorts. Their size large could be equal to a double XL. Not too happy with the length either but the width could fit two people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Provide the function and flexibility I was looking for, July 2, 2013
These fit as expected, so size seems right on. I do a wide variety of things in my work out (row, bike, climb rope, move tires, elliptical, Jacob's Ladder, and weight training) and needed some shorts that were modest (some shorts are so thin, they don't help too much in this department) and up to the all the tasks I ask of them. These fit well, are double layered, and breath well. No need to pay higher prices for a high-cost name brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Shorts, July 1, 2014
I purchased a pair of Champion's along with these for comparison and I prefer these. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Champion shorts and I gave them a 5 star review as well. I simply prefer these for 2 reasons. When you lay the two brands on top of each other the Russell's are cut a little bigger. Not the length, the width. The other reason is that these have a wider waist band. The sizing chart was right on, for me. I am a pretty big guy that could stand to lose some weight and these shorts simply feel better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Drawstring Breaks Every Time, June 19, 2013
I really liked these shorts, so I bought three pairs in different colors. All 3 had the drawstring break, so they are pretty much worthless for anything athletic, because they will just slide off. It's a shame, because they are really nice shorts.

Russell Athletic Men's Mesh Pocket Short