Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on May 11, 2014
I bought the same size (2XL) and similar style of three brands of active mesh shorts with pockets: Russell Athletic (http://amazon.com/dp/B00719ZQG6), Champion (http://amazon.com/dp/B0036OS6LW), and Starter (found in-store at Walmart).

I typically wear size 48 or 50 (48 is typically snug, 50 a tad loose). All three of these products advertise 2XL as fitting sizes 46-48. Due to the stretchiness, I found all three fit more forgivingly than my typical size, but otherwise were true to size. All three are very comfortable.

For length, the starter are the shortest (but not embarrassingly so), Champion has a medium length, and Russell comes just past my knee.

All three are slightly see-through (Starter least so), but not enough so that anyone could see anything from a casual inspection, especially if you wear similar colors underneath. I got all dark colors (either Navy or Black), so YMMV with lighter colors.

Of the three, I prefer the fit of the Russell Athletic the most. Champion tends to slip down in the back, as does the Starter to slightly a lesser degree. Because of this, with both the Champion and Starter I have to be very careful of the weight I put in the pockets; putting in my phone, wallet, and keys will make both brands quickly end up on the floor, whereas in the Russell I had no trouble walking around carrying all of those items. I have not tried running with that much weight yet. I still like both the Starter and Champion enough to keep them, but I would buy Russell next time instead.
33 comments95 of 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2012
I have 3 pairs of these athletic shorts and they are great at wicking moisture. I can spend hours working out on the treadmill, and they remain perfectly dry. Elliptical? not even close to wet. Hours working outside in the hot GA summer sun? You bet, perfectly dry. As another reviewer mentioned, the Russell logo did start peeling on one pair of my shorts after a few weeks. On another pair, the drawstring got torn out after it got snagged on other clothing in the dryer. The shorts however have enough stretch in the waist that I never, ever, ever needed the drawstring. I could care less about the Russell logo, these shorts are perfect for me.
0Comment47 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2012
I got my shorts today, and I really like them. They are light and soft. I think that for the price these are great shorts, they have pockets and an adjustable string in the waist.
0Comment27 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2013
These fit as expected, so size seems right on. I do a wide variety of things in my work out (row, bike, climb rope, move tires, elliptical, Jacob's Ladder, and weight training) and needed some shorts that were modest (some shorts are so thin, they don't help too much in this department) and up to the all the tasks I ask of them. These fit well, are double layered, and breath well. No need to pay higher prices for a high-cost name brand.
on September 2, 2015
Buy a size bigger or drop 20 pounds. Me, I'm going to buy a bigger size. !!
review image
on September 26, 2013
Love the brand but prefer "double" mesh shorts. Their size large could be equal to a double XL. Not too happy with the length either but the width could fit two people.
on August 23, 2012
you can't beat the quality in these shorts - a Russell product; excellent mesh shorts with pockets, all at an affordable price.
on July 1, 2014
I purchased a pair of Champion's along with these for comparison and I prefer these. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Champion shorts and I gave them a 5 star review as well. I simply prefer these for 2 reasons. When you lay the two brands on top of each other the Russell's are cut a little bigger. Not the length, the width. The other reason is that these have a wider waist band. The sizing chart was right on, for me. I am a pretty big guy that could stand to lose some weight and these shorts simply feel better.
on August 17, 2012
I bought these shorts because I liked the color, I liked the look. And as far as looks go, these shorts deliver. They also fit just fine.

These would be great if they were not of such low quality that one would think they were self-destructing by design. These are sub dollar store quality shorts.

I wouldn't be so emphatic, so convinced of this if it wasn't for the fact that these are the second, replacement pair that Amazon sent me. On a side note, Amazon provided excellent customer service, as always, with this purchase. On both pairs of shorts, the drawstring snapped after only 3 or 4 times wearing them. They might as well have held these shorts together with a length of yarn. On top of that, the Russell logo is already peeling off and the stitching is coming apart in a few places.

I can contrast these to an old pair of Russell shorts that I've owned for somewhere between 5 and 10 years. Those are great and still holding up nicely. My conclusion is that Russell's quality control has just gone downhill.
22 comments20 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 4, 2015
Be careful on the sizing! I wear 34-32" waist, 30" inseam pants and the medium on these lands on my kneecaps while the waistband feels slightly loose. The inside of the legs have a scratchy seam at the ends which can irritate. The pockets are wide and deep enough for an iphone6 with rugged case to fit sideways and not easily fall back out. They breathe very well, do not have a lining, and are just transparent enough that you don't want to go commando in them. I will update later if these turn out to be as flimsy as some others have reported.