Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on May 11, 2014
I bought the same size (2XL) and similar style of three brands of active mesh shorts with pockets: Russell Athletic (http://amazon.com/dp/B00719ZQG6), Champion (http://amazon.com/dp/B0036OS6LW), and Starter (found in-store at Walmart).

I typically wear size 48 or 50 (48 is typically snug, 50 a tad loose). All three of these products advertise 2XL as fitting sizes 46-48. Due to the stretchiness, I found all three fit more forgivingly than my typical size, but otherwise were true to size. All three are very comfortable.

For length, the starter are the shortest (but not embarrassingly so), Champion has a medium length, and Russell comes just past my knee.

All three are slightly see-through (Starter least so), but not enough so that anyone could see anything from a casual inspection, especially if you wear similar colors underneath. I got all dark colors (either Navy or Black), so YMMV with lighter colors.

Of the three, I prefer the fit of the Russell Athletic the most. Champion tends to slip down in the back, as does the Starter to slightly a lesser degree. Because of this, with both the Champion and Starter I have to be very careful of the weight I put in the pockets; putting in my phone, wallet, and keys will make both brands quickly end up on the floor, whereas in the Russell I had no trouble walking around carrying all of those items. I have not tried running with that much weight yet. I still like both the Starter and Champion enough to keep them, but I would buy Russell next time instead.
44 comments|122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2012
I have 3 pairs of these athletic shorts and they are great at wicking moisture. I can spend hours working out on the treadmill, and they remain perfectly dry. Elliptical? not even close to wet. Hours working outside in the hot GA summer sun? You bet, perfectly dry. As another reviewer mentioned, the Russell logo did start peeling on one pair of my shorts after a few weeks. On another pair, the drawstring got torn out after it got snagged on other clothing in the dryer. The shorts however have enough stretch in the waist that I never, ever, ever needed the drawstring. I could care less about the Russell logo, these shorts are perfect for me.
on July 5, 2012
I got my shorts today, and I really like them. They are light and soft. I think that for the price these are great shorts, they have pockets and an adjustable string in the waist.
on June 4, 2015
Be careful on the sizing! I wear 34-32" waist, 30" inseam pants and the medium on these lands on my kneecaps while the waistband feels slightly loose. The inside of the legs have a scratchy seam at the ends which can irritate. The pockets are wide and deep enough for an iphone6 with rugged case to fit sideways and not easily fall back out. They breathe very well, do not have a lining, and are just transparent enough that you don't want to go commando in them. I will update later if these turn out to be as flimsy as some others have reported.
on September 2, 2015
Buy a size bigger or drop 20 pounds. Me, I'm going to buy a bigger size. !!
review image
on July 2, 2013
These fit as expected, so size seems right on. I do a wide variety of things in my work out (row, bike, climb rope, move tires, elliptical, Jacob's Ladder, and weight training) and needed some shorts that were modest (some shorts are so thin, they don't help too much in this department) and up to the all the tasks I ask of them. These fit well, are double layered, and breath well. No need to pay higher prices for a high-cost name brand.
on July 1, 2014
I purchased a pair of Champion's along with these for comparison and I prefer these. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Champion shorts and I gave them a 5 star review as well. I simply prefer these for 2 reasons. When you lay the two brands on top of each other the Russell's are cut a little bigger. Not the length, the width. The other reason is that these have a wider waist band. The sizing chart was right on, for me. I am a pretty big guy that could stand to lose some weight and these shorts simply feel better.
on March 21, 2016
I ordered several pairs but only because I get a lot of Amazon gift cards. Otherwise... I would've preferred Champion or Adidas brand. These are very sheer and thin. The pockets are NOT lined. So they are mesh (holes) on one side of each pocket and the cheap poly liner as the other side of each pocket. Not likely to hold up well. If you carry more weight in your rear or have large thighs, there's plenty of room.

The waist is rather small and expect that elastic to be effected by the heat of your dryer. As another reviewer mentioned, the draw string and other aspects make these good for losing or gaining weight. I purchased the Maroon, Black, and Navy, and really like the Maroon because the color looks black at certain angles and deep Maroon at other angles. Overall these are pretty cheap and I wouldn't recommend. If shorts have pockets they should be lined. You should be able to put your keys in them without fear of tearing a hole in the mesh.
on March 13, 2016
Perfect fit. Roomy, comfy and forgiving without being baggy. The shorts fit/end at the top of my kneecap. I bought the LARGE size. I am 5' 8" and 230lbs with bonafide thunder thighs. When I lay down on a weight bench with my knees bent up for a bench press or dumbell flys, they don't slide up and show my milky whiteboy thighs, which fellow gym patrons prefer.

I have an old pair of XL in this model that I wore when I was much heavier and now I absolutely SWIM in them. They're only good for sleep shorts now but have held up through a few years of abuse and many, many washes.
on June 3, 2016
They cover up the parts you want covered. The big hole on top that your body fits in has a string running the circumference of the band designed to fit around your midsection that I find useful. The two holes at the other end are placed perfectly so that my legs my protrude.. I guess they're doing their job.