Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on September 26, 2013
The item works great, if it works. The salt grinder works ok, but after two months, the pair that I use for grinding pepper is barely functional. What's worse is that after contacting Russell Hobbs to get a replacement as part of warranty, I got a reply saying that they don't support this model here in the US since it's a UK model. This definitely is very disappointing. I'm still trying to fight to get my money's worth. Below is the email reply that I got from Spectrum Home Appliances, which I assume is the company that processes customer warranty claims. I received this after filling up the registration and product warranty support from the Russel Hobbs web site.

======================================================

Thank you for contacting Spectrum Home Appliances. We value you as a customer and appreciate your patronage.
Unfortunately this is not a model that we support. This is a Russell Hobbs UK model.We apologize for this inconvenience.

If we can be of any further assistance, we ask that you please contact our Consumer Service Department at 1-800-231-9786. Our hours of operation are Monday thru Friday from 8:30am EST to 7:00pm EST. You can also elect to e-mail us at homeappliancessupport@spectrumbrands.com, or you can go to http://www.prodprotect.com and fill out a contact form. A representative will be happy to assist you.

Consumer Support Team
Spectrum Home Appliances
A division of Spectrum Brands, Inc.
www.spectrumbrands.com
44 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2012
We first saw these in France and were so impressed we ordered them right away. They work very well. The only drawback is that so much space is devoted to the batteries that there is not that much space for the salt and peppercorns! But we can live with that!
on August 13, 2013
While this mill is quite slow it does a good job grinding from coarse to fine on peppercorns and very coarse sea salt corns. (It also grinds dry fennel seeds nicely, by the way.) Nevertheless this mill has the same design flaw all battery operated mills have -- it holds very little product, the volume of which is sacrificed to a large, top heavy, battery pack/motor assembly. Some day a design team is going to make a killing and destroy the competition by conjuring up a battery powered mill with a much larger base/product well diameter. At the same time, by default, if the base/product well is much larger in diameter than the battery pack/motor assembly, the mill will be far less prone to tip over.

The clear plastic "stands", if you can call them that, which come with this set are useless. You might as well toss them into the trash before they wander away and get lost. Any woodworkers reading this will be inspired to make their own custom stand if they purchase this mill set.

WARNING! The power button is very badly designed and executed. It made of flimsy plastic which is attached to the outer shell with a screw. While reassembling the mill I accidentally pressed on this button. The plastic L-bracket/button assembly bent inwards making it impossible to reassemble the mill as the bent button assembly obstructed the battery pack/motor assembly. In fact I did not notice the button was bent inwards until I tried to reassemble the mill and it was bent further when I tried to slide the shell over the battery pack/motor assembly.

Pushing the button from the inside did not help to straighten it. It would not return to its original position flush with the shell. So, using a long and thin #1 Phillips screwdriver I was forced to remove the screw that mounts the button to the shell so I could bend the plastic back into the proper position. I was very lucky the plastic did not break when being bent back into shape, much less breaking when being bent out of shape in the first place.

The upshot is that once removed the button is nearly impossible to remount. After many failed tries I taped the the button to the shell in order to hold it in place while replacing the screw. It was a tedious and frustrating nightmare which required a great deal of patience. All because they used cheap, junky plastic instead of stamping a sturdy, one piece, metal leaf spring L-bracket/button assembly. After all this hassle I only hope the motor is not as badly made as the power button and I get some life out of this mill set.
on June 4, 2012
Excellent products. They are sturdy enough to do the job properly. They work at the touch of a finger. I bought two sets of these I liked them so much. They also have a small light in the bottom, which illuminates the food about to be seasoned.
on January 8, 2013
I chose this set of Russell Hobbs 12051-56 Battery Powered Salt and Pepper Grinders to be given as a gift. What a success! Not only was the recipient surprised and please, he was amazed at the quick grinding of both pepper and salt mills, he loved the lights that come on when the buttons are pushed.
The Russell Hobbs 12051-56 Battery Powered Salt and Pepper Grinders are attractive on the table and operate as advertised.
After I placed the order for this item, I discovered that they were being sent by a vendor in England and I became concerned that they would not arrive in time for Christmas in the States. However, once contacted, eTwist-USA assured me that the items had been shipped immediately. Even though Amazon had the items listed to arrive at my address in late January, they were on my doorstep well in advance of Christmas. Thank you everyone at eTwist-USA for your attention to detail.
I recommend these mills for everyone who wants to charm their guests at the dinner table. I recommend eTwist-USA as a vendor of choice for their promptness in delivering quality products promptly. I will do business with them again!
on March 4, 2013
Checked reviews on all the grinders and none impressed me until these. Got them at home after work one day and excitedly put one together... it ground pepper so fine! Pepper fell to the plate like beautiful, peaceful snow flakes in an added bonus spot light. Wonderful. I love them. As for how long they will last, only time will tell. As of now... well worth the price! Super fast shipping as well!

Updating my review. I will be purchasing these again as a gift. They work as well as they did when I first purchased them. Battery life is pretty good. Haven't been able to use the "cheap" batteries though. It will grind when using those, but not as fast or effectively. Still would suggest to any and everyone. Best I've ever used!
on February 22, 2013
I did try them out to make sure they work before I go back to the Philippines, only 4 batteries instead of 6, large capacity of salt/pepper, adjustable grind and a button to start the grind. Shipping was good, packaging was good and came by Royal Mail @ no extra charge. :^)
Well we have been using these for a few weeks and I'm a happy camper.
on January 1, 2013
I bought this in different times as a gift for my mum, my wife, my brothers' wife and for my neighbour (an old auntie who cooks for us frequently) and it is really amazing with adjustable different particules sizes and led lighting pimps it :) my only complain will come for seating its kinda a small or easy to move. you should try in your kitchen instead of manual grinders
on March 15, 2013
Having severe arthritis these are awesome! Look beautiful, work great. No they don't hold a lot but this just means your seasoning will always be fresh. They were delivered three weeks sooner than promised. These are a buy one for life purchase, I say go for it!
on July 11, 2013
Received these grinders ahead of time in very good packaging, no way they could get damaged.. installed the batteries, each took four AA size. filled with salt and pepper. pushed the button, and sure enough , they work like a charm. and the small led light is a nice feature , you can see clearly how much spices you are putting on your food. After spending several days looking at all the other brands and reading the feed back on them , and comparing the prices, I decided on the Russell Hobbs set .. very well priced and they work well. couldn't be happier..