Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Size Name: 1 PackColor: Metallic Oil Rubbed BronzeChange

on July 24, 2012
This spray paint is very smooth and pretty. I personally did not have any issue with clogging and I preferred using this can compared to the traditional spray paint can. My word of caution would be concerning the color. I have purchased several items that were already oil rubbed bronze when I purchased them (shower curtain bar, vanity knobs, door stop, etc). I decided to save money and paint the rest of my hardware rather than replacing it. This paint is extremely dark. It almost looks black and it did not match any of my previously acquired hardware. So, to remedy the situation, I purchased a can of aged copper paint (by the same manufacturer). I put on a really good base coat of oil rubbed bronze and then just lightly mist the aged copper color over it to give it the brownish tint when the light hit it rather than the black tint. I am thrilled with these results and it's the exact shade I was looking for. I cannot comment on how well it will hold up, but it looks great right now.
55 comments74 of 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2011
This stuff is the BEST! The coverage is phenomenal. So far out of one can, I have painted two Toilet Paper holders, one towel bar, one Double light switch, and one bathroom sink fixture (3 coats on that). Once you get your coverage amt correct, it goes quickly, with nary a drip, and you can do two coats within an hour, and rehang your fixtures the next day.

Highly recommend this product. I am going to paint my door hardware next!

Happy Painting, crafters and DIY'ers!
22 comments25 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 13, 2013
Here are the uses I found: I painted all my gold doorknobs, all my light switch plates, a gold chandelier, and cabinet hardware.

The paint sticks really well on doorknobs, but you have to be careful about contact with metal objects, which will scratch the paint.

Wear gloves, because this paint is impossible to get off of your skin.
44 comments20 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2014
This stuff is awesome. I painted some $25, 5" iron casters on the bottom of the potting table I built (shown in the picture) and it made the casters look like vintage casters that cost $250 each. I'm very pleased.
review image
on August 31, 2013
I purchased this at my local home improvement store for about half the price that they go on Amazon. In person, the color reads more as a black with multicolored flecks. It made me think disco, not oil rubbed bronze. I ended returning them and getting the same brand and type but in chestnut, which is also a metallic finish but a rich brown one, and it was perfect. I used it on a plastic garbage can, three picture frames, and a ceiling fan. To me, the chestnut is much more like oil rubbed bronze than this color is and I would recommend that instead. But if you like disco, or have a more modern home (I was going for a traditional look), this will probably work.

In terms of application, I didn't have any problems. As with any spray paint, it was strong smelling. I did my spraying outside and left items out overnight except the ceiling fan, which I rehung several hours after painting (dry to the touch but not fully cured). Because of the difficulty of the reinstall, the fixture did sustain some finger prints from holding it up with sweaty hands while trying to screw it back in, but I was able to carefully touch it up in place. If I could do it again, I would move the fixture into a sheltered outdoor area to dry for the full 24 hours.
22 comments30 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 30, 2013
I absolutely love this spray paint! I have sprayed two chandeliers, a huge wall candle thing, a lamp, anything I can find that I don't like the finish on. I just bought 4 bottles yesterday because I am going to spray all the fixtures in our bathroom. We recently moved in to a "new" house and everything is gold! Not a fan of gold! I've already sprayed all of our doorknobs and one faucet with the satin nickel version. It saved us over $500 and you seriously can't tell it's been spray painted.

On the downside...it does get tough to spray about midway or more. I don't know what the deal on that is. I have found that if you turn the bottle upside down it will continue to spray until its gone. It's a little of a pain in the butt but in my opinion it is SO worth it! Pretty sure I will be a fan of this stuff for the rest of its life :)

I'm going to try to upload some pics of the stuff I've done. Of course I never take before and after. It doesn't even cross my mind until I'm halfway done!
44 comments25 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2015
Sanded down the mismatching old door knobs in my condo and then sprayed 3 even coats. Beautiful! No chipping (yet) but it doesn't appear to me that there will be a problem
review image review image
on June 15, 2009
Much like the previous 1-STAR rating reviewer, I purchased this paint and had to return it for an even exchange. I agree the chemical coposition of the paint is excellent...BUT, the trigger to spray the paint is an awfull non-ergonomic design.

I too firmly pulled the monstrosity of a spray button off, by firmly gripping and pulling it upward. Now soaking a used RUST-OLEUM Painters Touch 2X, wide spray tip button. I will replace it with this much more practicle, usefull spray button.

NOTE: the idea should be to make design as similar to an air brush type mechanisim as possible - not a monstrous Windex(TM) type trigger???) I LOVE Windex(TM), no disrespect1
0Comment24 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2009
Honestly. How can a company even put out a product like this? The new spray cans for Rust-Oleum Universal are a shameful failure. Especially given the high price for the product. I have seen at least a dozen reviews on multiple websites. And, each says the exact same thing. Either the people at Rust-Oleum never tested the product. Or, they are willing to stand tall as an example of corporate stupidity.
Okay. I bought 4 cans of Rust-Oleum Universal (Hammer On Black). All four cans failed to spray after a few minutes. Each required disassembly and unclogging. The spray patterns were variable from "none" to "stringy" to totally "blob-like" or "blotchy". I have used Krylon Fusion. It works perfectly. In contrast, painting with Rust-Oleum is like trying use a roller brush while riding rabid bull into a burning barn. If anyone from Rust-Oleum reads this, I hope that they post an apology and issue refunds. Their new spray system is the best advertisment for Krylon Fusion that one could ever think of. In short, unless you enjoy paying lots of money for total junk (that will frustrate you until you're insane), just purchase the Krylon Fusion and stay FAR AWAY from the new Rust-Oleum spray paint in the fancy cans.
0Comment22 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2015
This stuff is incredible. If, like us, you updated your bath and went with an ORB (oil-rubbed bronze) finish on your fixtures, DON'T REPLACE EVERYTHING—spray it instead! I'm including two pictures, one of a formerly-chrome towel rack (up against a shower rod that was ORB out of the box), and one of formerly-chrome toilet seat hinges. So easy. Just mask everything like a good little home improver and voilà!

(I've had this bookmarked for several months to purchase on Amazon, but found it at a local hardware store for nearly half the price Amazon is selling it for, so be sure to shop around.)
review image review image