5.0 out of 5 stars A keeper - destined to be a constant reference
Published on June 26, 2009 by Larry Fineberg

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I was very excited to get this book, but it has been a let down. I have tried a handful of recipes and overall they have been bland and disappointing. I don't find myself reaching for this book anymore. The recipes are just ok - except for the Cherry Almond Bars. Those were just like eating cardboard. They were quite dry and lacked any flavor. I threw out well over half...
Published on September 26, 2010 by Elliott

5.0 out of 5 stars A keeper - destined to be a constant reference, June 26, 2009
This review is from: Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More (Hardcover)
I pre-ordered the book from Amazon after making Lemon Blueberry Buckle, from an adaptation of that recipe published in the local paper. I have alfeady made several recipes from the book, all but one of them were highly successful. The book is small (a big plus). Most recipes take up only one page. Most two page recipes are on facing pages. The photographs make me want to make almost every recipe. The book is deeply satisfying and comforting.

I've tried the following recipes, all of which yielded a fresh, full flavored product with just enough sugar for a pleasant balance between tart and sweet.

- Lemon Blueberry Buckle was a keeper, tart and sweet. It inspired me to buy the book.

- Cherry Almond bars did not work.
Since the recipe clains takes its inspiration from lemon bars, there must be an error. All lemon bars prebake the bottom crust and then either pour the filling on top or make a custard and then pour it on top. They all bake the crust for about 30 minutes and the ssembled bars until the top is set. The Cherry Almond bars really need a total redo. The cherry filling was very good but the bottom was soggy and the top was undercooked. I've written an email to Julie Richardson about the problem. They are deluged with comments and praise from readers. Since it was the my second recipe and the first was so sucessful, I decided to try another.

- Vanilla-spiked plum Galette was extraordinary.
With plums from the farmers market, it was both tart. Just be careful when making it - place the parchment paper on a well made of aluminum foil, otherwise the juice will spread over the oven and burn. I used vanilla sugar for the vanilla infusion.

- Short Dough made a beautiful baked shell for a tart.
I modified the recipe substituting sour cream for heavy cream.

- Galette dough was much better than my old standby of Pasta Frolla by Flo Braker from Baking with Julia [Julia Child].

On balance, the successful recipes are all keepers. Some (Quince, Apple, and Brown Butter Tarte) inspired me to try other recipes on the web. I made an a really good, elegant quince brown butter tarte -- a variation of a financier - my spouse said it was the best dessert ever that had made.

I look forward to making and modifying more of the recipes from this book as the seasons change and different fruits become available in the farmer's market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, Non-Fussy Desserts with Seasonal Fruit, June 20, 2009
S. D. Fischer (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a wonderful addition to my collection of cookbooks which focus on local, seasonal foods. The authors hail from the Pacific Northwest but many of the fruits they use are available seasonally throughout the U.S. It is easy to understand why Gourmet magazine chose this for a Cook Book Club selection.

The authors explain the difference between tarts (pie without a top crust), galette (free-form tart which doesn't require a pan), cobbler (deep-dish fruit pie with a dense pastry on top), grunt/slump (cobbler cooked on top of stove), crisp/crumble (baked fruit dessert with streusel topping), betty (fruit layered between or on top of diced bread cubes), pandowdy (deep-dish dessert with a crumbled biscuit topping), buckle (cake batter poured in a single layer with berries added to batter), teacake (simple cake like coffee cake), fool (summer fruit layered with whipped cream) and trifle (layered cake, thick cream, and fresh fruit).

This type of dessert is less fussy than frosted cakes, soufflés and other more complicated desserts. Many of these recipes are fairly quick and involve cleaning and chopping fruit and then preparing the dough or crumble topping. For example, Mimi's German Apple Cake requires only 15 minutes of prep time before it goes in the oven.

The book is into four chapters by season plus one Pantry chapter. Each seasonal chapter includes five full-page color photos of finished dishes and a few photos of ingredients or unfinished dishes. You can look up desserts by fruit in the index (some fruits such as apples appear in more than one chapter).

The 14 recipes in the Spring chapter utilize rhubarb, cherry and strawberries. Examples include Upside-Down Sweet Cherry Cake, Rhubarb and Bing Cherry Brown Betty, and Lemon Buttermilk Rhubarb Bundt Cake. The Summer chapter includes 17 recipes which highlight plums, fresh berries (raspberries, blackberries, boysenberries) and stone fruit (peaches, apricots, plums) and include Gingered Peach and Blackberry Pandowdy, Raspberry Red Currant Cobbler, and Caramel Peach Grunt. The 13 Fall recipes utilize apples, quince, pears and figs and include Maple Apple Dumpling, Grape Galette, and Upside-Down Pear Chocolate Cake. The Winter chapter include 16 recipes which utilize apples, pears, cranberries and citrus fruits. The Winter recipes include Carmelized Pear Bread Pudding, Olive Oil Citrus Cake, and Cranberry Buckle with Vanilla Crumb.

The Pantry chapter includes recipes for different doughs and pastry, both Vanilla and Berry Ice Cream, Vanilla bean Shortbread, Vanilla Chiffon Cake, and more.

The authors describe what to look for to choose the freshest produce, how to store it (in or out of the refrigerator) and whether the fruit freezes well. There are a few recipes which use dried fruit (helpful in the off-season as well as when you need to through something together for surprise guests). There are hints throughout the book on advice on how to zest citrus, toast nuts, making caramel, whipping cream, removing currant stems, and more. In addition, there is note with each recipe about how to store it and whether it freezes well.

Another good book with similar desserts (but no duplicate recipes that I caught) is Cobblers & Crumbles. I recommend Rustic Fruit Desserts between the two as it includes the information on seasonal fruit but you can't go wrong with either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty vintage American recipes, June 14, 2009
Rustic Fruit Desserts is a book that contains recipes on exactly what is sounds like: rustic fruit desserts. These recipes use a lot of pears, apples, and stone fruits; and use them in old-fashioned way: making pandowdies and slumps, for instance. I've tried out a few of the recipes and they all turned out extremely well, delicious and beautiful in a "rustic" way.

However, a word of caution: if you don't have the right kind of apple, or pear, etc. the flavor will vary tremendously. Sometimes that is a good thing, though.

If you are looking for traditional homemade, pass-through-the-generations kind of recipe book, this is the one!

5.0 out of 5 stars a wealth of goodies for desserts starring seasonal fruit, but also jams, icecreams, cooking tips, pie pastry and sauces too!, December 17, 2009
I picked this book up after tasting the Cranberry Buckle recipe at a friend's party and thinking it may be a great and easy recipe to put together for family over the holidays...

I never wound up making that because I decided to do the Pumpkin Custard with cookie crumb crust for Thanksgiving (oooohhhh it was such a good decision!) and I brought both the Cranberry Upside Down Almond Cake and the Apple Cranberry Oat Crumble to our office Christmas party last weekend to both rave reviews and recipe requests...so I'm making those again on Christmas.

...and, for me, when I get loads of recipe requests that is when I know a recipe was a winner. It's the Blue Ribbon measurement of friends and family.

I watch my diet most of the year so when November and December comes, we truly celebrate, go off program, eat well, and don't count one calorie. Keeping true to form, I've tried many winning recipes over the last few months. However, I will be using this book often at our dinner parties year-round for desserts too...because it has a wealth of recipes for all seasons, and it enables me to take in a farmer's market and cook all-natural winning desserts with no artificial ingredients. These goodies are from scratch yet I have not found anything I've made to be fussy, long-winded, or time consuming in its instructions.

Here are some favorites:
Summer fruit trifle
Upside down pear chocolate cake
Boozy dried cherry, chocolate, and hazelnut bread pudding
Fresh strawberry and ricotta tart
Mimi's German Apple Cake
Caramel Apple Steamed Pudding with Ginger
Caramelized Pear Bread Pudding
Vanilla Chiffon Cake

It's not a large cookbook at 176 pages which include loads of pretty pictures, but it has a wealth of variety of seasonal fruit dessert recipes--from pandowdies to bread puddings, to crumbles, buckles, cobblers, cakes, pies...you name it.

There are tips on making a great pie or tart crust, as well as recipes for both (The all-butter pie crust is REALLY good and turned out flawless and flaky).

There are also great accompaniments to the fruit counterparts such as homemade icecreams, jams, and sauces.

While I normally knock a cookbook down a star if no nutritional info is included since so many like to have some measurement of their intake, I don't hold that standard for an all-dessert cookbook. In fact, I'd probably rather not know! Although when your main ingredient is fruit, there tends to be less "damage" (I like to say to myself) and, dang it, I'm getting in some vitamins and antioxidants albeit really, really sweet ones! HA :-)

NEGATIVES: A little more recipes would have been wonderful but it covered a nice range with what it included and maybe some nutritionals if I had to pick something...however, these aren't big deals in this well-produced, easy-to-follow, and beautifully compiled cookbook. It's a keeper. Year Round.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ruined my resolve not to buy more cookbooks., December 9, 2009
I had recently donated about half of my 800 cookbooks so that I could better enjoy the ones remaining. I resolved not to buy anymore for a long time and took this out of the local library. After making the pear sauce and the apple cranberry crumble, I gave in and bought it. The technique used to make the crumble topping, involving melting the butter and then simply stirring the crumble topping, was new to me and yielded the exact type of topping that previously it only seemed that I could find in store or bakery bought products. So, although the recipe sounds mundane, it was quite spectacular and something I would incorporate in other favorite recipes. The pear sauce was also terrific and I used the same technique to make peach sauce with frozen peaches. Definitely a book that deserves a place on a kitchen shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Abundance of seasonal delights, March 21, 2013
First, an admission -- I am a relatively new home cook/baker. If there is an error in a recipe, I don't have the sense/experience NOT to make it, so I am entirely dependent upon cookbook authors to educate and guide me. I seek out books that not only delight me and the people for whom I cook, but also those that teach me along the way. Rustic Fruit Desserts is superb on both counts.

I love the way the book is organized by season, allowing me to really enjoy fresh fruits at their peak. The hints offered by their authors have been wonderfully helpful -- I've learned little tips about zesting, separating eggs, and the best way to store each finished dessert (or, as in the case of the slump, I learned that it doesn't keep well and should be eaten on the same day). These are small things that might seem obvious to a more experienced baker, but they've been invaluable for me.

I also really love the descriptions of each kind of fruit, with suggestions about choosing for ripeness and selecting the best type for your dish (as with apples, for example). I noticed that some reviewers decried the book's focus on the Pacific Northwest and felt that they had to skip over recipes calling for fruit not available where they live, but that has not presented a problem for me. I live in southern CA and have simply substituted fruits available in my local farmers' market, as the authors suggest. This has led me to get to know some of the sellers at my market better -- another boon.

Thus far, my favorites have been the Apple Custard Pie with Orange (which looked so beautiful I felt as if I'd really achieved something, and which tasted simply marvelous -- beyond anything I could have imagined), the Apple Cobbler with Cheddar Cheese Biscuits (prepared for my mother's birthday -- she requested it in lieu of a cake), and the Upside Down Pear Chocolate Cake. I also feel indebted to the authors for their "Pantry" recipes, which have finally given me the confidence to make my own pastry and short dough. They really do make it easy, and the results are fantastic.

I can't wait to try more of the Spring and Summer recipes as the seasons turn and different fruit becomes available at my local market. Thanks so much to Cory Schreiber and Julie Richardson for a really lovely cookbook. My mother, a very experienced baker, also loves this book; she's enjoyed my copy so much that she is purchasing one for herself. In my experience it is rare to find a baking book that really pleases the novice as much as the expert, and that's one of the things I so enjoy about Rustic Fruit Desserts.

(One last thing: the format of this book allows it to lie flat on the counter and STAY OPEN. Particularly for someone who's bound to be checking the recipe every few minutes "just to be sure," this is really helpful!)

UPDATE 4/7/2013: Two new favorites -- Lemon Blueberry Buckle and Gingered Pear and Raspberry Pandowdy. Both became immediate family favorites! I have yet to make anything less than a stellar dessert using this cookbook. It's by far one of the very best I've ever read and used.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is charming ... simply heart warming!, November 30, 2009
My husband is from Europe and we like cakes simply taking advantage of "natural sugar taste" contained in fruit in season. Many times we find cakes sold in local bakeries just too sugary. That is why I now regularly bake cakes on my own. So, when I read an article in "Gourmet" magazin on this book, I felt the book's concept using natural fruit in season perfectly matched my interest.

Dividing chapters into seasons and explaining how to pick up the best fruits in season is very helpful. (I was not familiar and overwhelmed with all sort of pears in market, but now I know which one I should pick:) "Stonefruit Tea Cake" was a big hit during past summer and it is so easy to pick up the best fresh fruits available in local farmers market and just follow her recipe. Charming, Home-made, natural taste cake!!

I love her "Buckles" using various fruits from a seaon to another. I happily see "German Apple Cake", traditional German fall fruit cake, which is very similar to the one that my in law has given to me. I have not tried "Cobblers" and "Pies" but look forward to testing those, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Luscious Fruity, Crumbly Fruit Desserts of All Types, November 22, 2009
rodboomboom (St. Louis, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Most of the time when dining out and ordering dessert, you would find me ordering a crumble or cobbler or something like this book's selection if available. It truly is one of my favorites, so seeing this volume it was a no-brainer to order.

It has paid off in preparing the recipes so far. This cookbook is organized seasonally, which is truly nice when using fruit. The fresher, the better. Thus, fall recipes have been the choice to date, and they have been spectacular, especially the Upside-Down Pear Chocolate Cake, as well as the Pumpkin Custard with Cookie Crumb Crust made in individual ramekins. Also, have had huge compliments on the Deep Dish Winter Fruit Pie with Walnut Crumb and the Boozy Dried Cherry, Chocolate and Hazelnut Bread Pudding.

The instructions are clear and straightforward, and none of the ingredients or techniques are that difficult to the average to above-average experienced home chef. There is a glossary of the terms, i.e. pandowdies, etc.as well as alternate suggestions for fruits that could be used, etc. and some sources listed.

The photos are nice and layout is superb as our all of Ten-Speed's pubs that I have used.

This is nice resource for those of us who love to dig into those syrupy, fruit and crust, crumbly dishes that are highlighted and the stars in this offering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rustic Fruit Desserts--Yum, August 5, 2009
Love betties, buckles, crumbles, crisps, cobblers, dumplings, pandowdies, fools, pies, tarts, bars, trifles, and puddings all made with seasonal fruit? Well this is the book for you. Contents are arranged according to season. Both authors share wonderful, tasty, prize-winning recipes. Both Cory Schreiber and Julie Richardson are from the Northwest--Portland. After trying out some of the recipes, I ordered more for gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am FLOORED with this book!!! :-), October 14, 2009
I am so thankful that I purchased this book! A few things I really like about the book are: It has a section for each season with about 15-20 different recipes for each season including Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter using fruits that are available at those times. There are flavor combinations that I had never even though of before reading this book! I also like the fact that the author gives weight measurements of all the ingreedents in addition to the traditional measurements for more accurate baking. Also the author includes tips on what to do if something goes wrong. These recipes are not ordinary "Apple Pie" or "Pound Cake" texts; You are going to learn new vocabulary and learn about the fruit upon which you will use.. The recipes will blow your mind and your desserts will be the showstoppers at the dinner table!

Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More