Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(1 star).Show all reviews
on February 2, 2014
First of all, I want to explain that I am a seasoned and experienced cook and baker. The first recipe I made from this book was the Cranberry Upside-Down Almond Cake. The only thing that went wrong was when I flipped the cake out of the pan the topping stuck to the pan. I was able to arrange the topping back onto the cake. It was obvious that the cooling time for the cake was wrong. If I had flipped the cake out a few minutes earlier, all would have been well. That said, the cake was delicious. Today I made Grandma Freeman's jam cake with brown sugar rum glaze. I questioned the directions telling me to only butter the Bundt pan, as I have always buttered and floured, but stupidly decided to trust the authors. Yep, it completely stuck in the pan. I decided to go ahead and make the rum glaze and just serve the cake out of the pan. The recipe for the glaze is terribly flawed. I won't bore you to death with the details. Suffice it to say, the glaze had to be considerably thinned and has ended up being gritty because the liquid seized when I combined it with the powdered sugar. I realize now that this recipe was never fully tested. I haven't had a recipe fail this miserably in many years (I'm 60 years old). I will never use this cookbook again. I have already thrown it in the trash.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2011
I was so excited to find this book and begin trying recipes - I love baking with fruit and thought this was the perfect cookbook for me. My disappointment continues to grow, however, as I make recipe after recipe. The results range from underwhelming to disastrous. I've made no fewer than three desserts from this book where the instructions were simply wrong and the product embarrassing. I live close to the bakery owned by the authors and had great hopes for this homegrown cookbook, but I can no longer bring myself to consider using it anymore :(
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse