5.0 out of 5 stars Expert Self-Defense From Bas
Published on February 16, 2004 by Chester

3.0 out of 5 stars Self defence for a big man
The instructor in this film is Bas Rutten, former bouncer and UFC champion. This background is evident in this film, as some of the techniques presented are somewhat exotic, and not your average street realistic self defence for every man and woman -type stuff.

Published on January 8, 2005 by Seppo Vesala

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Self defence for a big man, January 8, 2005
Seppo Vesala (Helsinki, - Finland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bas Rutten's "Lethal Street Fighting" Self Defense System (DVD)

The film is divided in two halfs. The first half is filmed in a bar, and the techniques concentrate on standing techniques. The latter half is filmed in a boxing ring, and the techniques cover floor techniques. The film opens up with presentation of various objects found in a restaurant you can use as improvised weapon. Next, Rutten presents a correct ready posture and handles ranges of combat. After that, the film moves on to actual self defence techniques.

Most (but not all) of the techniques are quite simple, but many of them are not very universally applicable, or even very safe to perform. First of all, many of the techniques require that you lift your attacker off the floor. That might suit well for a big and strong man, but I don't see how a petite woman would pull this off to a man three times her weight. OK, it can be done, but is it reasonable to practice these kind of techniques, when you could use a different kind of technique that doesn't require as much strength. Secondly, some of the techniques can be used only in a very specific situations, and are not usable in different situations. Third, some of the techniques are risky to perform, like haymaker block, that makes you to walk straight into your opponent's fist if you use it to block a straight punch. Or a knife defence that requires you to kick your opponent's knife hand, making it very easy for your opponent to make you impale your leg into his knife. Fourth, these techniques do not present a real self defence system, rather they are a collection of separate techniques.

The best thing in this film are not the actual techniques, but principles and attitude. While the techniques are not very realistic for average man or woman with average skills, the attitude is towards surviving a street attack, rather that practicing for a competition of for overall fitness. For one thing, Rutten constantly reminds that the attacker may have friends, and some techniques are designed to take care of those extra attackers. He also advises you to look for objects you can use as weapons, if the need arises. And the overall attitude of the film is toward defending against real attack; you never forget that Rutten is speaking of real life situations instead of some techniques you can practice in dojo as a hobby.

There is quite lot of humour throughout the film, and Rutten also tells true stories where he has used these techniques (or they have been used against him); either in the octagon of in the street. I like Rutten's attitude that he does not try to convince the viewer that he knows it all, and that his way is not the only one there is. For example, he freely admits that he teaches some techniques that are pure krav maga techniques, and that for a better instruction on these techniques, you should seek a qualified krav maga instructor.

I think that this film does not present a very good self defence system. Rather, Rutten presents some interesting techniques, and handles some important principles of real life self defence. Therefore, this film serves best as an addition to your existing self defence techniques.

Run time: 1:45

5.0 out of 5 stars Expert Self-Defense From Bas, February 16, 2004
As a no-holds-barred, mixed martial arts wannabe fighter I didn't know what to expext from Bas Rutten when it came to self-defense. I thought it would be the same UFC type techniques I have seen Bas use in NHB fights just taken outside to the street. Man, was I wrong. Bas explains the difference between a fight with rules and the no rules world of street fighting. The street calls for pure savagery when your life is on the line and there are no judges around to stop the bout. You will get an eye opener as to what street fighting is all about from spraying tabasco in your attackers eyes to breaking his leg with one sharp turn of your body. Good stuff and great quality from Bas all the way. Bas is "THE MAN"!

5.0 out of 5 stars VHS Review, April 1, 2004
By A Customer
I picked up the vhs no too long ago and I must say that it was a professional production. I cannot speak to the quality of the DVD since I have not viewed it.
It is true that while he shows many useful techniques and attitudes to use in a "situation", I am not sure that a small person could use even half of them. Then again, he assuems that you are seriously training if you want real abilities. Even so, I give it a five since it is still very useful for many techniques and for understanding the type of fighters that are out there who have no problem beating you up for "giving them the eye" or something as stupid as that. Bas is indeed a bad mo fo.
What I would suggest you to buy, however, is his ten video series on pancrase (sp?). He isn't joking around on them, so the entertainment value is zero, but each tape deals indepth with arm or leg locks, chokes, striking, take doowns, reversals, etc. I am not a huge person, but these techniques work very well with practice and time. He also shows you some techniques not to do and explains the physics behind each move as well as the pshychology involved. His work out tape is a killer and one of the series is an interview and several of his fights with his commentary. Very worth the money. Amazon may not sell them yet, but budovideos does for a good price.
Gambatte!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bas Gives you the REAL info to kick butt, November 12, 2011
When I saw some 1 star ratings, I was wondering why?? Then I saw it was because shipments were late or whatever. I don't see how anyone could complain about the content.

When I watch the video, it makes me think of what Bas might tell you if he has no choice but fight his way through a bar with you or he'll die. It seems like he really wants to help you.

The content is pretty good and the video is just all around entertaining. I remember ordering the Hostile Control Systems VHS tapes a million years ago from the back of some Ninja magazine. Those tapes were good, but no where near as entertaining as Bas showing you how to face smash someone with a chair.

Bas even covers good techniques for defending yourself against knives, guns, wrestling takedowns. He even discusses the adrenaline advantage attackers have and how you must be able to quickly increase yours to defend yourself.

I'm actually surprised someone hasn't hurt themselves and sued Bas by now. The dvd is not a toy and the information is serious and lethal. I learned a couple of things that might help defend myself against two or more people at some point in my life. That's well worth the cost of this dvd.

I would recommend it. Bas is funny, laid back, and very open in discussing the information. When I say he is laid back, don't mistake that for being unprepared. He demonstrates every angle of every move and he has stunt attackers who take his moves. He even brings in larger men to show what to do when bigger guys attack you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its awesome, and this is why................., September 19, 2004
Kain Schwarz (Detroit Michigan USA) - See all my reviews
This training video is definitely worth buying because it is very valuable in multiple ways. Here is a list of the reasons why (in my opinion)........

#1 - It incorporates itself into your current fighting style no matter what type of martial arts training you are into. Some videos out there are biased and only teach you things of it's style/ryu. NOT this video, it is a mixture of MANY types of fighting. It uses "what works" and the more realistic streetwise self-defense.

#2 - This wasn't made by a man who just got a blackbelt in a martial arts style and now is trying to toss together a low grade video to make some money, this was made by BAS RUTTEN! He PROVES he knows how to fight and WIN and tons of his wins are recorded by UFC and Pride fighting and other resources. Do yourself a favor and train with Bas Rutten because he is a WINNER.

#3 - Not only are you getting training in hand to hand combat, you are also learning how to deal with knives and guns in this video. You are learning how to deal with multiple attackers as well. Bas Rutten is serious about self defense and is a great teacher. There are a few humorous parts in it too. I found myself laughing out loud a few times when I first watched this video.

I am not affiliated with Bas Rutten or any agencies, i'm just a long time martial artist and I got sick of training in martial arts that weren't street-smart. I have been in Kung Fu and Ju Jitsu and a few other systems but I like Bas Rutten's videos alot more because he is realistic, quick, and to the point when dealing with attackers and thats what you need to WIN.

3.0 out of 5 stars not the best out there, May 31, 2006
While Rutten is obviously a great fighter, that doesn't necessarily make him a great self-defense instructor. Many of these moves just are "street ready" and would fail the average size, average skilled man or woman in a confrontation. That, combined with the high price and poor production values here make this a second string choice for a martial arts DVD library. I have a huge collection of street defense type DVDs and if I had to recommend one or two this wouldn't be at the to of my list. If you want something that's packed with techinques that will work in a pinch, especially for those of us who aren't built like UFC champs or linebackers, check out Sang Kim's Junsado Fundamentals DVD.

2.0 out of 5 stars 90% of the moves won't work on bigger stronger guys, August 29, 2005
Jackson Young (british columbia) - See all my reviews
I don't really recommend this dvd because of the high price, because I think most of the moves are really pointless, especially the submission moves, you really don't want to do submission moves in a real street fight. Also like a previous reviewer said, some of the moves are too complex and a petite female wouldn't be able to do them to someone bigger. Plus, it's almost impossible to be holding your opponent's arm, especially if you have small hands, I've been in numerous street fights and spars and I've actually beaten guys bigger and stronger than myself, I've tested some of the moves on one of my sparring partners, especially on the bigger and stronger ones, they ended up not working because my opponent will not stand still for me to do the move especially if you have small hands like me. Despite the horrible grappling moves, the striking moves are good and his phylosophy of fighting is true too. As far as the striking moves go, I do not believe most people do the haymaker like he says in the video, I rarely encounter it, plus if the opponent does a barrage of punches on you, you can not counter it by moving back, and punching because in real fights they will come at you fast with a barrage of punches. His teachings of hitting the weak parts are good though and so are his teachings of stances. I don't want to give away too much of this dvd. Bas does a good job teaching though, I like his way of teaching he does it really slow with a lot of repeats. In conclusion if I were you, I would rather buy Russian Systema Fighting DVDS they are much more realistic, infact they even teach you how to take a nasty punch to the head, and also they teach with real punches to the face unlike Bas's with the air punching, it's very realistic, get that instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars honestly a rip off, December 11, 2003
By A Customer
first off, i got two copies..one for myself, one for someone else as a gift... both were defective..i had to send them back for a refund....you know, i like bas rutten and think he's a great fighter,..but this dvd was a ripoff and a letdown. first of all.. this dvd is made like a bootleg dvd...and instead of coming in a dvd case, the dvd comes in a cd case.. there is no artwork. even the words on the dvd itself is a sticker placed over the bootleg dvd. anyways, concerning the dvd, bas rutten is hillarious. but i seriously doubt that anything he shows in the video would work on guys that are stronger than you. he shows some submissions which are good. but concerning how he just says..."after you do this, punch him and the fight will be over"...he says things like everyone who says this can knock another person out as easy as he can. at times this can be true, but against bigger , TALLER, people, it won't work. on the positive side, there are a lot of good techniques and tips.. not to mention bas rutten makes it entertaining to watch. but in all honesty... this isn't the best self defense dvd you can find. there are a lot better than this. anyways, bas is great and might inspire you to get this because of that fact, but it's not worth it.. at least not for the money..sorry bas

5.0 out of 5 stars Bas Is One Scary Dude!, December 11, 2003
"ericrice3" (Cleveland, Ohio) - See all my reviews
I am a Big fan of Bas Rutten's and this is a great DVD that arrived in very professional color packaging. Rutten's "Lethal Street Fighting" opened my eyes to the dynamics of what really goes on in a street fight and the techniques needed to survive. Bas Rutten is very credible and dosen't waste your time with unrealistic fancy techniques that would get you killed in a real fight. What Rutten teaches is not for the faint at heart, his hardcore style of fighting is take no prisoners and do whatever it takes to survive. Bas covers every dangerous type of street confrontation along with the self-defense techniques he favors to counter the attack. He is also fond of using things like bottles and chairs to protect yourself against deadly knife weilding attackers. Since I lack ground fighting skills I especially liked his techniques for taking an attacker down and controlling him on the ground. With just one viewing I already feel much more confident as to what to expect in a street fight and how to handle it. This DVD offers valuable information you won't get anywhere else but from a great fighter like Bas Rutten. Like Rutten's ground breaking "Big Books Of Combat" which I own this DVD is excellent and well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its Bas...Need I say more?, November 14, 2010
If you are looking for some simple self defense techniques that will work
in a variety of situations LOOK NO FURTHER. IF you are a fan of Bas' already,
you will appreciate the charisma in which he delivers the material, if not, you soon will be.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›