5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money
Published on October 13, 2009 by Scott Raney

3.0 out of 5 stars Very mixed results - some good, some not so
Published on September 8, 2010 by DVD

3.0 out of 5 stars Very mixed results - some good, some not so, September 8, 2010
This review is from: Ryobi 130429001 18-Volt 2.4-AMP Hour Li-Ion Battery (Tools & Home Improvement)
Like others I started with the NiCd Ryobi ONE+ system and have multiples of many of the tools. I found the biggest drawback to the Ryobi NiCd (and most other NiCd batteries) is self discharge (after several months of use a charged battery would be completely dead after just a few days and needed recharging before it could be used). So, after buying another Ryobi kit with two Li-ion batteries I bought a third and was initially very happy with the results. Like others I didn't really see much run time difference and can't tell there's that much net weight difference, but I did (and still do) like the shelf life as there are few things more disappointing to me than picking up a cordless tool only to find the battery is dead. So far so good.
Now here's been my experience with these after 1-2 years of having them:
1) the charger starts reporting a defective battery and eventually reports each of my three batteries as defective. Fortunately unplugging and restarting the charge (sometimes multiple times) usually corrects the problem. This is certainly a relief compared to my DeWalt 36v batteries that just plain won't work once the charger says it's defective. Still it's annoying to leave a battery on charge to come back when you need it only to find that it hasn't been charged.
2) of the three P104 batteries I own, two are now 'weak'. Let me describe that. When running any tool (drill for example) the wind up is slower than the 'strong' battery and the torque is less. The weak batteries all seem to have about the same charge life though I haven't really done an experiment to confirm this. The fully charged unloaded voltage among the three are almost identical with a digital voltmeter, so I can't really explain the loss of torque other than maybe the internal resistance of the battery has increased.

Bottom line: These are pretty good grab and go battery/tool combinations for light to medium duty applications. The bateries are not perfect, but they are OK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, October 13, 2009
Scott Raney (Boulder, CO USA) - See all my reviews
Yeah, they're expensive (and I don't agree with the reviews that give them one star because of the price: You're supposed to be reviewing the product, not the price!), but in my opinion worth the money. I've gone through about 8 of the NiCad battery packs: those start losing capacity right away and after a month or two of regular use you're back to charging them up twice a day. These lithium batteries go all day and more, even with heavy use. Combined with the nifty gauge, you won't find yourself up on a ladder or roof with a dead battery anymore (something that's annoyingly common with the NiCads in my experience).

4.0 out of 5 stars Ryobi battery warranty, October 13, 2011
I bought 2 of these batteries - one in 2009 and another in 2010. The 2009 battery gave out sooner than I expected and I didn't remember when exactly I bought it. I then bought another one in 2010 and wrote the date (Nov 2010) on the battery. It failed in Oct of 2011 so it lasted just about 11 months. I found out from Home Depot that these batteries now have a 3-year warranty. I called Ryobi and they informed me that the 3-year warranty was for batteries purchased beginning Jan 2011. My 2010 battery had a 2-year warranty so it was still covered. My 2009 battery was totally out of warranty.
Keep your receipt handy as the battery warranty starts from the purchase date (if you have a receipt) or the battery date code. The date code is from the serial number on the bottom of the battery. My serial number was CS1022 - which means the date of manufacture was the 22nd week of 2010 which was what Ryobi said - May 2010. They will tell you where to take the battery for inspection and you will get a replacement one via mail. I will do this in a week or so, so it remains to be seen how all this will work out.
While I was at Home Depot I bought a 2-pack of the older batteries and they both had the same number on the bottom - EG1112 which should correspond to a date code of the 12th week of 2011 - which means you could loose several months of warranty without your receipt!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Battery for Ryobi tools, November 10, 2008
I like this battery way better than the original one!
Holds a charge for a vary long time.
I especially like the "fuel gauge" charge status Button
Expensive but worth it.

By the way, Amazon is now selling them for $80.88 not the higher prices listed in previous reviews!

If you have Ryobi tools you should be very happy with this battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have all the gear, just need the batteries, September 19, 2008
G. Brown "Race Fan" (Lake Forest, IL USA) - See all my reviews
Folks seem to be kicking and screaming over the fact that you can get a battery and charger thrown in with the stock "new kit" for only a few hundred bucks more... What I think is that I should be able to trade in the 10 or so "old style" batteries for a small discount on this new style which is so much better.

The "old style" batteries were so poor at holding a charge and just didn't hold up to real use or long periods of non-use; I had convinced myself that the old batteries and the crummy life cycle was Ryobi's answer to the business model on Ink Jet printors. Give the printer away and get you on the refills.

Just my two cents worth... I love my new lithium batteries and the charger seems to work better with some of my old school batteries that still have some life in them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super product. Long lasting, Lives up to the ads, January 12, 2009
I have been going through the standard batteries like crazy. I bought one Lithium plus charger to try and I really liked it. This is my second one and with two I could screw down an entire 10X14 deck with just two charged batteries. The only negative is the cost. I assume the price will come down at some point.

1.0 out of 5 stars Charging problem, October 10, 2009
Robert Faldmo (Midvale, UT United States) - See all my reviews
This battery is great for home workshops, but is useless for construction sites or any commercial application. When the temperature is below 50 the battery will not charge! The old ryobi batteries charged any time no matter what.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but don't expect more than warranty life, April 9, 2010
I am a Ryobi fan. I have lots of their gear. The Li-Ion batter is (performance wise) a large step up from their previous 1+ battery. However, both of my batteries died two weeks after warranty expiration. Replacing the two batteries is very near the cost of another kit. (Which is how the sales guy sold me on the kit). Maybe it's like razor blades.

5.0 out of 5 stars More power longer life, September 18, 2009
These new Ryobi batteries are excellent.

* They power both the old and new Ryobi tool lines.
* They last provide more power (i.e. the tools work better) to both the old and new lines
* The charge from these batteries last much longer than the old batteries
* They also seem to keep a "full charge" and not lose the ability to fully charge like the old batteries did.

If you need to rely on your tools, you need to rely on your batteries. So far these have been great batteries and make the tools much more reliable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Being a Ryobi., January 5, 2012
As a contractor I wasn't too keen on shelling out $90+ on a Ryobi ~anything~ but the One+ NiCad was NOT working out on the few "high draw" tools I give the workers. These batteries, however, are a welcomed change from the Ni-Cad One+ batteries. They're lighter, retain charge better, operate more efficiently and have a power indicator. I have 2 of these that have seen light-to-moderate use over the last year and both still perform well after 100+ charge/discharge cycles (estimated). There's a button for the charge indicator that lights up green when full, yellow toward the middle and red when it's time for a charge. The only reason I held back the 5'th star was that they're 2.4 AmpHr rated when many, if not most, full-sized 18-volt power tool batteries on the market are rated higher. All in all I'm happy w/ these batteries and the 3 guys that use them the most are definitely happier w/ these than Ni-Cad 1+.

Ryobi 130429001 18-Volt 2.4-AMP Hour Li-Ion Battery