4.0 out of 5 stars Ryobi invertor generator
Made my own parallel kit using #12 SO cord and safety bananna plugs to a weatherproof single gang box with RV 30A plug.
Runs my 13,500 BTU A/C no problem in parallel, and slightly louder than a Honda.
23A measured at full RV load.
Published 13 months ago by wayne brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent genset but you get what you pay for
First off, this is not a Honda or Yamaha. It is an inexpensive Chinese rebadged generator. Which is fine for what it is and the price. But don't buy this and think you're getting a deal.

Published 4 months ago by J. Czarnik

4.0 out of 5 stars Ryobi invertor generator, June 10, 2013
This review is from: Ryobi 2200-Watt Digital Inverter Generator RYI2200
23A measured at full RV load.
Have not looked for extended run gas caps, however the cap supplied looks to lend itself to a DIY solution similar to those available.
Minor gripe when opening the box, they supply oil for the unit, but no good way to deliver it into the engine. You'll want a long, slender funnel or be a contortionist. Oil changes are a bit if an exercise as well, but so are the other brands..
For light loads like TV/Satellite receivers, this thing is quiet enough to have on a short extension cord.
shop vacs and pumps, it gets a bit louder, but a lot less than the average walk behind lawnmower at idle.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!, September 10, 2013
This review is from: Ryobi 2200-Watt Digital Inverter Generator RYI2200
It was hard to get a decibel rating on this generator. The advertising just said "quiet as a conversation." But I called the company and they told me it was rated at 60 dbls. which is pretty good. I do airbrush tattoos at kids parties, fairs etc. I have 2 air compressors to run plus, for fairs, we have lights and on real hot days a fan. This generator ran them all. Plus a couple of neighboring vendors at the fair asked to plug in to our system for their laptops. I let them and the generator ran them! Quiet? It was so quiet I had to go near it to make sure it was running. I would venture to say it's as quiet as a Honda of similar size. The wheels and telescoping handle are a nice touch as well as also having two handles to lift it with. This makes it much easier to lift into or out of a car or truck. The others had one handle molded into the body which can be a strain on you back. The price, $550 at Home Depot was very reasonable for what you get. Plus it has a 2 year warranty which it nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powers a 12,000 BTU marine air conditioner, August 25, 2013
This review is from: Ryobi 2200-Watt Digital Inverter Generator RYI2200
I had a situation where my 29 foot boat was docked at a waterfront lot with no electricity. I had run 300 feet of Home Depot 14 AWG extension cords from the house across the street to the boat, then through the Marinco shore power adapter plug that adapts a regular extension cord connection to the shore power connector on the boat. This kept the battery chargers going and let me watch TV.

I didnt expect it to work, but when i tried to turn on the 12,000 BTU A/C unit, it would run until the compressor tried to kick in. My volt meter on my power panel would drop to 50 volts, and the a/c would reset itself and try again. after two cycles of this on a hot day, i looked around for a cheap inverter generator to make this work. I saw the Ryobi 2,200 surge watts Generator RYI2200 for less than $600. I gassed it up, pulled it 6 times, and fired it up. The moment of truth came when I had everything on the panel turned off and put the a/c unit on. I watched the volt meter gauge drop momentarily when the compressor kicked on, and the generator sounded like it was almost going to give up for a split second, but then the idle surged up and the panel meter went back to about 115 VAC. The a/c compressor was running fine, and the generator wasn't sounding strained anymore. I then, one at a time (pausing between each), switched on both battery chargers, and then the small Avanti fridge. There was only a very slight movement of the voltage gauge needle while the Ryobi out on the dock adjusted to the increased load.

My onboad a/c is an ECU-Maxx by Marine Air Systems. It is 12,000 BTU and the label says cooling amps is 11.3, heat is 13, and has an LRA (locked rotor amps) rating of 50 amps. This Ryobi does do a good job on my particular model and may work for others which are similar.

The generator pull cord is easy to pull and it starts up within 3 pulls most of the time. even a cold start is quick. the wheels are nice, like airport style luggage with the telescoping handle. it is light, and the front and rear carry handles make it easy to lift by yourself. They sell an adapter to make it stack-able with another one for larger loads also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, lightweight and compact at a fraction of the price of a H**da., May 12, 2013
K.H. (Seattle, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ryobi 2200-Watt Digital Inverter Generator RYI2200
I just picked up one of these at Home Depot. I got the floor model for a 10% additional discount so i am a happy camper in the price department.

The unit appears to be of excellent quality. It started right up and the power output appeared to be smooth and consistent.

I was worried about noise levels but it is very quiet. There was a sticker on the unit that said it is the same sound level as a conversation and I would agree with that. I had a full size portable generator but it was so loud that I couldn't consider using it for camping or tailgating. This is an excellent tailgating generator that can be used around other people without being a noise polluter.

My only concern is the size of the fuel tank if using it during a lengthy power outage. I doubt it would run more than 6 hours under light load before running out of fuel.

I also like the collapsible luggage cart style handle. Very easy to move around. The unit is also very lightweight -- easy to lift in or out of a tailgate or car trunk.

I would have preferred red or a less obvious color, but now I'm nitpicking. Maybe I'll paint it someday.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent genset but you get what you pay for, March 7, 2014
This review is from: Ryobi 2200-Watt Digital Inverter Generator RYI2200

The engine is made by Topsun which is in several lines of generators like this. if you pull the parts list on the ryobi website, you'll see that you can buy all parts for the gennie EXCEPT for engine parts. You can get a spark plug, air filter, fuel pump, but the engine itself and internal components are NOT available. It is considered disposable if you have a major mechanical issue. Big difference there compared with the Japenese brands and support networks. Who knows how long it will last. The Honda's are known for 1000's of hours of life. Ryobi may make it- maybe not. I won't need mine to last that long.

The generator runs fine. First hour or so the rpms surged all over the place and it wouldn't seem to settle down. Lots of stumbling at idle and with light loads. After it broke in a little it got much smoother. The power appears very clean. I didn't scope it, but frequency is dead on 60 hz, and voltage varies from 125 to about 115 depending upon load. When you throw a large load (1500w) at it quickly, voltage drops but it recovers within a second or two as the engine revs. Freq never changes. My most fussy equipment that will NOT run on an open frame generator runs fine with this guy.

The 2200 surge amps is suspicious. If you throw a 1500w+ load, even with eco off and high idle it overloads for 2-3 seconds before it settles down. You'll see a voltage drop while this is happening, but it does catch up to the load. No spikes were observed when shedding large loads (e.g. 1600 down to 200 w or so). If you go past 1500w or so the gennie really struggles to keep up. I guess you could take it to 1800 with very careful application of non-inductive loads (i.e. no motors), but I don't see how the mfg gets away with a 2200w surge rating. It might hold it for a fraction of a second? Note this is very different from the surge rating of the Honda EU2000i, nominally 1600w that can surge to 2000 measured in minutes. No way this Ryobi could handle that.

It runs my furnace, a couple of small fridges cable box, tv, and a couple of lights fine, so it meets our mission even if the ratings are a little overstated. It's quiet, but quiet as a conversation is prob a little overstated unless you're a loud talker. Not objectionable at all, even if you are working around it.

Requires tool access to check the oil, and the filler is awkward to get to (but can be done with a funnel). No separate fuel shutoff- so no way to run the unit dry for storage unless you deplete all fuel. Smells like gasoline all the time. you can sniff it through the on-off switch area.

All in all it's decent, I'd give it at least another star if you could get parts for it at this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Available at Home Depot for $599, March 20, 2013
This review is from: Ryobi 2200-Watt Digital Inverter Generator RYI2200
This is a great generator but it retails for $599.00 at HomeDepot. This generator is very high quality and very quiet. I have no issues with mine. It has a lot of features and is just as nice as the yamaha and honda at a fraction of the price. Just make sure you buy it at Home Depot for the price of $599.00

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price, its a good buy, July 29, 2013
This review is from: Ryobi 2200-Watt Digital Inverter Generator RYI2200
The price was to good to pass up. Honda, and Yamaha were first options but were very $$$$$$. This will run everything in my trailer but the AC. I have a Yamaha 1000 W but its to small. The DB on Ryodi is a little more than Yamaha but not to much. Its easy to move around. It needs many pulls at first start up, but after that 2 or 3 and she starts. Many little things that Ryobi includes in box are great ( paper funnel, to put oil in for the first time, a screwdriver to open the side,Ect ) All things said, I would buy this one again!

5.0 out of 5 stars excelent product., March 3, 2014
This review is from: Ryobi 2200-Watt Digital Inverter Generator RYI2200
Was delivered on time. Opened the box, no damage at all. Read the instruction, put gas and oil. Engine start up easy from fourth pull. Generator works very well. I plugged AC in my van and works fine. Great product so far. I will recommend to my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT GEN!, May 17, 2014
This review is from: Ryobi 2200-Watt Digital Inverter Generator RYI2200
I use this for my business and it runs 6 hours a day for 5 days a week. It powers 2 compact freezers, 1 refrigerator freezer, hooded exhaust fan and a trailer vent fan. I had it for 6 months and had no issues at all. If I had to complain about something (which we all seem to do), it would be changing the oil. I change the oil every 60 hours which is every 2 weeks. You have to elevate the generator over a pail to drain the oil. Filling the oil you will need a funnel with a house attached to it. I don't find it a big deal but it is not the most convenient. Also like mentioned I use it for 30 hours a week and it burns just 2 gallons of gas!!!!

Highly Recommend!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, September 17, 2013
R. Smith (Cedar Park, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ryobi 2200-Watt Digital Inverter Generator RYI2200
I purchased this a few days ago from Home Depot for $549.

I was focused on the Hyundai generator which has the same wattage rating but has a bigger cc motor. For the amount of use I was going to get out of it, I couldn't imagine paying the money for a Honda generator, while at the same time I didn't want the construction grade heavy/loud generator. I went with the Ryobi because of the name recognition, the warranty and that it was available locally from Home Depot.

I thought the Ryobi was a great compromise - light, quiet and only a couple of hundred dollars more than the cheaper construction generators that are not inverters.

The one issue I have is that I haven't been able to order a replacement gas cap - which I was going to use to create an extended run tank kit for it as this model only has a 1 gallon tank, giving you anywhere between 3 - 5 hours of runtime. I got to the Ryobi parts site and as of now, they don't have a parts list for this generator, just the 2000 watt model.

Rate and Discover Movies