4.0 out of 5 stars Good trimmer for the price
Published on April 27, 2008 by D. Dix

1.0 out of 5 stars Ryobi is a Piece of SS30!
Published on October 26, 2008 by Jerry G

1.0 out of 5 stars Ryobi is a Piece of SS30!, October 26, 2008
This review is from: Ryobi SS30 18 In. 30cc Straight Shaft Trimmer
Bought a SS30 when my 12 year old previous Ryobi bit the big one. Was very happy with the old one (not sure of the model), however, very unhappy with the SS30. Very difficult to start and there's a 1/8" gap between the spinning head and the head assembly that attaches it to the shaft. That gap grabs the line and wraps it tight. You have to stop the motor, unwrap the line from this gap then really fight to start it since it seems to flood immediately after stopping it. Took it apart to see if I could correct the gap but it's a design flaw. If you choose to still buy this piece of junk, get some Neosporin and Band Aids for the blisters you will get trying to start it and get some beer to calm your nerves after messing with it. I would recommend you just buy a goat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good trimmer for the price, April 27, 2008
D. Dix (Lexington, KY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ryobi SS30 18 In. 30cc Straight Shaft Trimmer
I recently purchased this trimmer after my previous Ryobi trimmer died. It lasted for 14 years so I decided to replace it with a new Ryobi. The SS30 is a good trimmer. It has much more power than my old trimmer ever had and feels like a commercial quality trimmer without the high price. I like the split boom, which allows you to turn the head 90 degrees when edging. This trimmer is a bit hard to start when warm though. There is probably a trick to it I haven't figured out yet. So far it takes about 10 minutes of pulling and swearing at it to get it to come to life. The other thing I will make note of is that it is extremely loud. It sounds more like a chainsaw than a trimmer. I'm sure my neigbors love it. I highly recommend ear plugs. But once you get it started and ear plugs in, your good to go. It will definatly get the job done.

1.0 out of 5 stars ryobi ss 30 string trimmer clutch., April 18, 2014
This review is from: Ryobi SS30 18 In. 30cc Straight Shaft Trimmer
I purchased the ss30 about 3 years ago from a big box store and am NOT impressed. Starting has bee an issue along with the string head. I could never get the automatic feed to work at all so I installed a 3 blade head that would take it's place. This eliminated the need for an auto feed but now I get about 2hrs on a new clutch before it dies. I DO NOT recommend this product to any one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, mucho torque, June 27, 2012
This review is from: Ryobi SS30 18 In. 30cc Straight Shaft Trimmer
I have had and used an SS30 for 6 years and have over 400 hours on it.
Like any two stroke you have under stand them and run'em hard.
This unit has a 30cc motor which means it will sling a .155 string, brush cutter, edger etc.
I even use the blower.

I have a friend that pays over 400.00 for RedMax professional units and this ss30 has more power at a fraction of the cost.

But the deal is if you have any trimmer with 25cc or bigger and know how to maintain it you'll get a long life from it.

When this one lays down, sure I'd buy another but I'd look at any other brand that has attachment capability.

5.0 out of 5 stars love the SS30, June 15, 2009
This review is from: Ryobi SS30 18 In. 30cc Straight Shaft Trimmer
Bought one of these about 3 years ago to replace an older model. I can't say I take care of it as far as draining gas each winter but it always starts right up cold or hot. I have several other attachments for it and it gets the job done. I have had good luck with several Ryobi products.

1.0 out of 5 stars SS 30 Trimmer Experience, July 30, 2012
This review is from: Ryobi SS30 18 In. 30cc Straight Shaft Trimmer
Beware, before you buy a Ryobi product. This company provides you with no technical assistance at all in case you ask for help with a minor repair or adjustment issue. They advised me to take our trimmer to an authorized dealer. I didn't need Ryobi's advice for that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Performance, Sullies Ryobi's Reputation, July 23, 2010
This review is from: Ryobi SS30 18 In. 30cc Straight Shaft Trimmer
It was a happy day when my old curved shaft trimmer finally died. I could legitimately go shopping for a new power tool. I chose a straight shaft trimmer thinking it would have more power, and chose the Ryobi because I had such good luck with it in the past. The first thing I noticed was that it was unwieldy to use. It seemed quite a bit heavier than my old trimmer and was not balanced well. As the months got cooler, it became increasingly harder to start and to keep running. It is so satisfying to give a couple of yanks on the starter rope and hear the purr of my two cycle engine ready to tackle a project... and just as frustrating to spend 10 minutes working out on the rope nursing the engine to life. Lately my frustration has been mounting as the string breaks prematurely and doesn't automatically feed. Yes, I've made sure that the string is wound correctly, that the knob marked "straight shaft" is positioned correctly on the bottom, and I use a high quality string. What a pain to have to stop and manually pull the string out every couple of minutes. All in all, I cannot recommend the Ryobi, unless you need the exercise and to have your patience tested every weekend.

1.0 out of 5 stars ss30 Ryobi, May 11, 2012
This review is from: Ryobi SS30 18 In. 30cc Straight Shaft Trimmer
I bought th ss30 from a neighbor for half what she paid. She said that it was too heavy for her and hard to start. I felt bad because she had only had it for a month. I had a Ryobi for years, replaced it with another and thought that I would give my older, but still running wonderfully , to my son. Two mistakes. One giving away my wonderful old one and two, believing that the problem with my neighbor was not being strong enough to start her new one. After two years it is starting to fall apart and it just gets harder and harder to start. Buy anything but this piece of junk!

1.0 out of 5 stars Similar model worthless, October 19, 2009
This review is from: Ryobi SS30 18 In. 30cc Straight Shaft Trimmer
I purchased the SS26 model at a local big box store in May 2009. The SS30 was the model on the shelf label, but the item sold was actually the SS26. It is WORTHLESS. I had a previous Ryobi for many years. Wanted to stay with the same brand so the multiple attachments would still work. On the new SS26, the engine never started as well as the previous machine. Then the engine started to lose power. After only several hours of use, the engine lost power and then died. It would not restart. Followed all the instructions in the manual to troubleshoot. Obviously, after only a few hours use, then was nothing obvious wrong. There were several references on the web about the wrong oil being included with the unit. I had already mixed the oil/gas to the specifications and thrown away the oil bottle. When I called the help line, their first question was "What color was the container of oil?" I didn't save the bottle, so I have no idea. The help line said take it to a service center. Did that. After 6 weeks of back and forth from Ryobi to service center to me, they said the engine was toast, not covered by warranty. I've used 2 cycle engines for years, all kinds of mix ratios, and never had an engine problem. I didn't do anything worng.
The 2 year warranty is a JOKE.

Rate and Discover Movies