on April 26, 2010
Bought this cordless weed whacker from a well-known home improvement chain, whose orange colors are known to just about anyone. At the warehouse store, the package included the Li-ion battery and quick charger for the cost of an extra Andy Jackson, which is a nice deal since those two item--Ryobi 18V ONE+ P104 Lithium Battery and P113 Charger--go for 120 clams here alone on Amazon, which makes the warehouse store package unbeatable since the string trimmer is essentially tossed in as a freebie.

This Ryobi is my second cordless string trimmer from the company. My earlier model, a 12V Ni-Cad powered unit from several years ago (155VP, or something like that) never really lived up to its potential. Its battery never provided enough juice even for our smallish yard, and the thing was a relatively heavy beast. After two faltering batteries I had had enough of the 155VP's tantrums and returned to a cheap corded WeedEater unit. After a couple or so years of this, the underpowered WeedEater finally quit as well. I did grow tired of extension cord management, so I decided to step back into the tricky waters of cordless trimmers once again. And boy, so far I'm glad that I did.

The One+ is a literal featherweight compared to the 155VP, but packs a middleweight punch. Like most electric trimmers, it has a rough time with the wet stuff, but when conditions are dry the One+ so far cuts through everything I've put it up against. Battery charge of the 18V unit lasts an extremely long time relative my 155VP's anemic 12V cell; so much so that I can use the One+ over two lawncare sessions and into a third one without having to recharge the battery. And recharging times are phenomenal; the 18V cell charges in minutes, whereas the old Ni-Cad took an overnight pit stop.

Its design allows for a wide manner of adjustment to attempt to get the optimal length and control placement on the device, and although it never has been completely spot-on for me and my frame, I can get the One+ close to where I think it would work best for me. The telescoping shaft also works pretty well at getting the best user position possible. And of course there's the unit's lightness, even with the battery in place.

Downsides? Yes there indeed are some. The One+ doesn't use a bump feed system for the cutting string. Instead it automatically feeds out more line each time the unit's motor ramps up its operational spin speed...which for me actually WASTES a fair bit of string since I have a tendency to inspect my work as I go along which usually means that at many points the trimmer will be powered off as I check out the quality of my cutting. Also for me the trigger operation is somewhat awkward to maintain during extended cutting session; the trigger pull is long and tiresome to hang onto for extended periods. The locking ring for the adjustable slide rod is marginal at keeping a TIGHT locking hold on the shaft, where it's possible if given enough force to slide the rod down (or up) without meaning to.

While the forward hand hold allows for rotational adjustments (pivoting forward and back, and rotation around the shaft member), it does not allow for positioning along the length of the shaft. And as with my prior Ryobi, I don't understand why there's no provision for a shoulder harness or sling; it would certainly ease some of the load and vibration that the existing design forces one's arms and hands to take by distributing some of that through the shoulders and upper back. The motor's torque could be a bit stouter; thicker vegetation that my corded WeedEater could hustle on through can give the One+'s motor was real workout.

But by and large those are minor quibbles to me that easily can be worked around. This thing whacks away at almost everything I customarily put it up against, and the charge of the Li-ion is commendably great. Plus the integral charge meter built into the 18V cell gives good indication of how much power is on hand, and whether a freshening up on the charger is needed beforehand. And as an added bonus, the 18V cell works with other Ryobi tools in the One+ lineup...which would be PERFECT if it weren't for the fact that I don't have any other One+ power tools (typically a Bosch/Makita man myself).

Oh well, at least this string trimmer is solid enough at its intended mission, and in the end that's what is good enough for me. Four solid stars.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 2, 2010
This trimmer was almost good enough to keep, but I'm going to return it. It has great potential, but the two downsides are too much to deal with. I've gone through my fair share of trimmers (gas, corded, battery, expensive, cheap) and my last trimmer (a Black and Decker grasshog) was my favorite thus far. The major downside to that trimmer was the battery. Over the years the battery life decreased, took hours to recharge, had to keep the battery on the charger or it would drain, etc. So I was excited when the lithium ion battery technology for trimmers became available. Went to purchase a Grasshog lithium at the store, but they had none, but they did have this Ryobi lithium trimmer. Bought it, took it home, easy assembly, lots of cool adjustments, then tried it out on the lawn. Well, the guys who built this must be ergonomic engineers who pay someone else to do their lawns. Battery works great and power is adequate, but the line feed and power trigger are serious problems. To advance the line, you need to stop the trimmer for about 2-3 seconds while the line advances 1/4 of an inch. This may not sound like much time, but every few feet you gotta stop your trimming and start and stop the trimmer a few times, and it really slows down your progress. The trigger is just plain stupid. Before you are able to pull the trimmers' power trigger you first gotta push it another switch, how this adds another layer of safety to our bubble boy lives is beyond me. It sounds kinda trivial, but it is annoying and begins to fatigue your fingers half way through the lawn. So back to the store it goes, and try and find that grasshog lithium trimmer, to see if it's good enough to keep.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 13, 2011
Hubby and I own mostly Ryobi One+ power tools, so naturally I purchased your string trimmer to groom our acre. It works amazingly and the battery lasts a very long time. I have two chargers and use from 4 to 6 battery changes in a full days work of trimming.

#1 HOWEVER... I am a female with average size hands, yet I cannot grip the battery with enough strength to detach it from the charger or the tool. I have to step on the charger and try to depress the side pressure clips with two hands. It's ridiculous.

#2 HOWEVER... The deadman's switch causes "dead arm" pain and stress on my hand and forearm. Being forced to hold the switch down is painful probably because the size of the grip is designed for a man's hand. A gas powered trimmer is out of the question because (again), it is designed for a man; too heavy and the center of gravity is wrong for a woman 115 lbs, 5'4" tall. My back and neck ache after only a few minutes.

FURTHER... Nearly all women in my neighborhood do the mowing and trimming and have similar complaints about gas trimmers. While your trimmer is light and powerful, my hand and forearm is thrashed by the end of the day. My recommendation is that RYOBI consider their product design so that 1) a woman's hand can release the batteries and 2) use an on off toggle switch instead of a deadman's switch.

NOTE: In general all power tools could use a rethink because most grips are designed for a man's hand, yet I use every tool in the shop right along with my husband. I'm not saying to make a "girly" set of tools for women, I'm suggesting someone make a tool that can adapt to the size of the user's hand.

My opinion. LOVE the power in RYOBI TOOLS!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 3, 2011
I read the reviews and with a little hesitation, bought the Ryobi One+ 18v trimmer plus Lithium battery and charger from Home Depot.
I have other Ryobi tools that use the battery so have several I can swap around.
The battery was charged inside 2.5 hours, as usual.
The trimmer's only assembly was to attach the guard, which took < 1 minute.

I have a fairly, in places, densely weeded border to my yard and flowerbeds, 75' x 100' with tall grass, alder saplings, blackberry volunteers, wildflowers: lots of weeds. It went around the house, the edge of the yard, around 3 25' x 30' beds and took care of anything it ran against. It is not a gas trimmer, so when it could not take out woody growth over 1" in diameter, I was not surprised. It ate new-growth blackberries up to 1.25" though. I ran it hard for roughly an hour, and the battery has life left. It is in the red, but still has life.

I am a 5'4" female, and was worried about the dead man switch and the hand fatigue mentioned in other reviews. The switch only needs holding to turn the trimmer on, and can be let go once you are trimming. The B&D version is much harder for me to use. The handle, like most, are a bit large for me, and if I were to use it for hours on end, would get fatigued.

The secondary hand handle is fully adjustable for angle and placement around the stock, so I found a comfortable spot. The stock telescopes out easily, I retracted it a little since I am a bit short. The head itself has a thumb button to allow it to swivel as well. Very easy to adjust, every easy to use. The 1/4" feed per trigger pull worked like a charm.

Looking at the reviews again, I am not sure if the other reviewers are using the same machine I am.
The Ryobi One+ 18v String Trimmer is awesome.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
No this trimmer wont wack down the hay field behind your house or mow brush.. its a yard trimmer and as such it is excellent.. it runs about 20 minutes with heavy usage.. edges my sidewalk and driveway..Im pleased, my old b-d was down to 8 minutes a charge..I could not update the b-d to lithium so i replaced them..Homedepot online had a combo of the trimmer blower lithium battery and charger for 119 pp..the battery and charger were worth that alone..battery shows charge level while working and when its time for a drink.. 1 hr recharge..
on June 24, 2010
First of all, if your yard is a mess with 5-7 foot tall weeds and grass, knock it down first with something more powerful. After that this trimmer does a great job at maintaining it. After my first charge the battery lasted about 20 mins. Now after about 5 charges it lasts for about an hour or so. I don't get why people are complaining about the string advance, I love it compared to the B&D feeder which decides on it's own when to spit out string. I usually just leave my finger on the trigger most of the time and waste no string at all. When the string whining gets too high, I just stop and start a couple times to get the string out and resume my work. It's very lightweight. I could see how the safety switch would bother some, but for me it's not much of a problem since I hold my finger on the trigger most of the time. All in all a nice trimmer, in which I got the added bonus of the lightweight blower which will be perfect for blowing leaves out of the gutter.
on October 15, 2011
I hesitated to buy initially read bad reviews of not holding charge or lasting for the job etc. I bought mine since I have 4 other tools that use the One Plus 18V system and loved them. I am so glad I did, 2 weeks later I sold my troublesome gas wee wacker at a yard sale. I have a 65' x 100' foot lot and this does the whole perimeter and around the 6 trees and shed all on one charge. I heard some complain about the line being expensive, it is, but you can also rewind the spools yourself.

mine came with a battery and charger. It did not hold a charge at first or second time, so I scraped the contacts on the battery and tried again. Presto, it charged fully. I think they put a film on the contacts to protect them or it just develops. I wonder how many of the reviewers saying theirs came with a bad battery or battery would not hold a charge just needed to do what I did?? Hmm, I wonder.

In summary it works great, line advances flawlessly and I get the whole job done on one charge. if I could change one thing, I would wish for a lock button to keep it running while I am using it, instead of having to hold the button in.
on April 16, 2012
No, it's really ok. Well, a little more. I like it.

After reading the reviews on here... I was a little reluctant, but that propane 4-stroke trimmer I wanted didn't pan out, soooo... yes, big orange box DIY store. Had trimmer, batt/charger, & blower thrown in for free. No, it won't get you as far as a tank full of mixed oil & gas will get you, but for my light needs, it gets the job done so long as I don't get all wild with it, with enough mojo left on the battery to snap into the blower for a quick clearing off of deck, porch, sidewalk, & at least some of the driveway, depending on how heavy I used the trimmer. Charges fast. No mucking about with gas/oil mix, no more won't freakin' start, no more the Ethanol Ate My Fuel Line every spring, whether I empty the gas out or not. No more carb rebuild kits. No more My Primer Bulb Is Cracked. No more bent shaft because I threw the no-starting SOB as far as I could because I'm NOT going thru this crap every Spring.

Complaints about the auto-feed: they on here. My take, I'd prefer bump feed, but auto seems to be the fad. Works okay. I'm sure it wastes a little, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd been led to believe by other reviews, but then when I use a bump-feed, I bump it a LOT.

Handhold: Yes, you can't freakin' move it lower, it's not made to grip the shaft low. Ungood. BUT you can angle it forward enough it works just as well, and I'm over six feet. I don't find it any more uncomfortable than my dinky Weedeater Featherlite was.

And I really like that adjustable trimming head angle!

Switch: Yes the safety is there, but again not so bad as I'd been led to believe, it's okay for my largish hands & once you get the muscle memory you automatically hit it w/o thinking about it. Yes, the trigger pull is fatiguing at times, but not much more so that my ancient corded electric was. (Which unlike said corded, the battery does make a nice counter-balance to the trimming head.)

Power: It ain't a bush hog. Most of the normal stuff it goes thru just fine, tho. Not as good as my old corded did, but then my little 18,19cc two-strokes never did as well as the corded, either. This one's a little weaker than they, maybe, but not so bad as to be unusable. It's light duty, but quite usable & the quiet clean cordless electric makes up for the slight loss in power. (as an aside, the included blower is at least as good as my (again) ancient cheap dinky corded blower, even after having run the trimmer on the battery first, no it's not a good Craftsman gas-powered, but it's quite ok for what it is)

'Bout sums it up. Hadn't had it long enough to see how the battery holds up, but I quickly saw you can get compatible Lithiums for less than the retail big box store price, if it hadn't been for that, I'd have not bought it- not paying $90 for full-size spare (or two compact Li spares). So far I've not had the urge to return it, it's okay and I sure prefer it to cantankerous two-strokes, at least those that would have fit my budget.
on April 28, 2011
Verified Purchase
I got my Ryobi Trimmer about 6 months ago and wanted to wait until I had used a while before I completed a review.

First its limitations and flaws are well documented by some other reviewers and I generally agree. The trigger lock mechanism must have been designed by sadist - it's that bad. It's marginal for normal trimming but for edging it simply hurts to use it because of the odd angle you have hold it.

Battery life is adequate but barely so for a medium size lawn and typical for the lithium polymer battery it uses, gives you almost no warning before it quits. Keep a spare handy and charged if you don't want to lose all that convenience.

When it comes to trimming effectiveness, don't even bother to compare it with your old gas unit. It gets the job done but it's slower and you sometimes have to make multiple passes. By the way here's an important tip: The unit has a definite bias in terms of cutting efficiency when used as an edger. The metal guide that you use to position the cutting line off the ground must be on the opposite side of the grass you're trimming. The guide is designed to be used on the sidewalk for example. What's the problem you ask? Well you can't always be on that side. Sometimes you have no choice but to stand on the grass and edge from that side. Result? Edging speed goes way down. It takes much longer to finish the job and the result isn't as good looking. This was no problem for my old Stihl gas trimmer. If you are able to use the edger in the orientation for which it was designed the results are quite acceptable though I would not want to wait until the grass got too long.

I bought the Ryobi hedge trimmer as well and got three batteries and a charger. I simply love the convenience of not having to drag out my 100 foot extensive cord every time I want to edge or trim and for most of the jobs I have around my 0.3 acre lot they both perform well enough. Despite the weaknesses I would buy both these tools again.
on March 30, 2012
Verified Purchase
I cant believe all the bad reviews, this item is wonderful and very powerful! No messes with gas and very easy to use. Can adjust with ease and converts to edger or weed trimmer! Extremely happy and well worth the money. It is refurbished but you could never tell by how great it works. Very good purchase if you have the batteries, which I have the Ryobi one plus drill and flash light.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations