5.0 out of 5 stars What are the Game Review Websites Talking About??
Published 11 months ago by Dadstud42

3.0 out of 5 stars Roman version of Rage
Published 11 months ago by Christopher Dunn

5.0 out of 5 stars What are the Game Review Websites Talking About??, January 1, 2014
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Video Game)
Just recently purchased the Xbox One. I wanted to purchase this game at the same time, but I read all the reviews online which were all bad. So I did not purchase this game. I then began to read reviews from actual gamers. They were at odds with the online professional review sites, Gamespot, IGN, etc. I mean, I can't remember when this last happened. To be that far apart in opinion is amazing.

Based on actual gamer reviews, i went ahead and took a chance and purchased this game. I am so glad I did. This game is freakin awesome. Let me tell you right now, the professional review sites were all wrong on this title. I can't remember when they were this far off. I have no idea what they were talking about. Lets break this down as follows.

1. Graphics. 5/5 period. This game just looks Next Gen in every way possible. It blew me away and will blow you away as well.

2. Sound. 5/5 period. The sounds of the game are excellent including the voice acting. The music is set for the time period. Think of the movie Ben Hur. The music is right on the mark following the action on screen perfectly.

3. Story Immersion. 5/5 period. The story moves along at a great pace and is very involving. You feel for Marius (the main character) and want him to succeed. The story builds and will suck you in. You can't wait to see what happens next. This is a pure sign of a well scripted game. Again, the music is right on the mark here as well, complimenting the story line perfectly.

4. Game Play. 4/5. Ok. I will agree it does get repetitive. This is completely bearable given the strong story, strong character development, graphics and music. It all works very well and will allow you to fully appreciate the game play even though it is repetitive. This was completely lost in the online professional review websites.

All in all, I was completely impressed with this game. It will suck you in and you will enjoy the ride to the end. About the only negative comment I can make is that the game is over too early. Crytek did such a great job with this title, it will leave you wanting more. This is a compliment and criticism. It is so well done you do not want it to end, compliment. The fact it ends too soon is a criticism.

To Crytek. Please, please develop and release Ryse 2. Learn from this title. If you can add additional moves/level up/upgrade the fighting maneuvers, lengthen the game, you will have a major hit on your hands. You have done an excellent job on this title.

If you like Action/Adventure games, get this one. Forget about what you may have either read or heard from the professional review online websites, The actual gamer reviews, like mine, is where it's all at.

3.0 out of 5 stars Roman version of Rage, December 10, 2013
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Video Game)
This is probably one of the best games I have played when it comes to graphics. The music really helps it come together. However, the game feels like it's about 40% done. They either rushed the hell out of this game to get it out for launch dayor they put all their energy into the graphics. It reminds me of Rage. Amazing graphic and boring repetitive game play. I have played it for about 2 1/2 hours and I am alreay 49% done with the game. I think part of my experience is due to just finishing assassin's creed black flag. That game is not perfect, but it's a great game. If Ryse was an open world format with more to do, it could have been amazing. The game is very linear and the story is mediocre. Definitely worth playing, but I will be listing it on amazon as soon as I am done with the campaign. You barely develop as a character. There are very few combat moves that you learn in the beginning and that's it. No weapon upgrades. Pretty boring in terms of upgrading your character

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Underrated Game, December 26, 2013
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Video Game)
Got this game as a Christmas gift and am loving it. Single player is definitely short, and I plan on playing through a second time (which I don't normally do). I took off a star simply from lack of variety in weapons, and length of the game.

That said, this is easily one of the best looking games I have played on a console, and that includes having beaten Killzone: Shadow Fall. For a launch title, this definitely is a title to show off to friends, and also holds it's own as a simple hack and slash game.

Hope it gets a sequel with a longer story and more rpg elements (weapon/upgrade variety) but that said I wanted to write a review to recommend this game. I had gotten caught up in all the negative press this game getting and was ready to pass on it, but so far am really enjoy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars 300/Spartacus/Gladiator...etc the movie-the game; Good rent/bad buy, January 26, 2014
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Video Game)
By the time you're reading this, you must have seen very similar updates regarding how great this game looks; and, how short the game really is. So I'm not going to dig further there. Overall, this is a really fun title to for a boring weekend.

Pros: Graphics/sound/music are all fantastic. It's like being in a movie per my title reference. Story is believable and to point. I felt convinced as a legionare!

Con: Aside from being short, multiplayer is virtually useless. It has nothing to do with the main plot; does not relate in terms of promo's; it's almost a demo made on the side.
-Value: I just want to add that for $50-$60, they're shoving the game down your throat and stabbing furiously at your coin purse (see wut I did there!). But for a 2 day rental for $3 it's awesome.

Other thoughts: the fighting mechanic resemble much like the 300/Spartacus/Gladiator bit in a good way. There's no fancy laser shooting out of your eyes but the raw simplisticity of stabbing another guy in the gut/face...and then some more places is very fun.

Hope this help guide you when deciding to make the purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game indeed with lot of realism, December 13, 2013
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Video Game)
This game has probably the most beautiful and detailed graphics I've ever seen ever for a video game on either Xbox One or PlayStation 4 platforms. Great story telling, won't mention anything to not spoil. Combat becomes a bit repetitive that is the truth, but you are a Roman soldier, with an armor, a sword, spears, a shield and a scorpio (stationary flame arrow thrower) in some areas. Those are your weapons and you fight man to man as a Roman soldier would do, with your skills and agility to survive. In some areas you will lead a formation of soldiers all at once to penetrate some enemy areas (pretty awesome), where all protect themselves or attack at your command. Also you can unleash your rage when you have filled one of the meters and attack very fast and unchallenged for a few seconds (good for some of the boss fights). It is not button mashing, you need a strategy to attack, push, block and evade to survive. Executions are gory and brutal even still a bit repetitive too. At higher levels, if you do not execute quickly when the icon appears, your enemy will continue fighting if you miss the short window. Many times you will be outnumbered and you need those skills to stay alive. Also you have some heavy attacks that can open almost any opponent guard. The single player consists of 8 (VIII) acts or chapters, each one taking around an hour each. A bit shorter than I expected but sweet. At the end you finish with a feeling of accomplishment and an epic and big ending. I have not tried the multiplayer yet. If you have an Xbox One, then it is a recommended game. I am giving 4 out of 5 stars. From 1 to 10, it would be like an 8.5. Great original story. Recommended and enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars More of a three and a half starred game but still very much worth playing, January 8, 2014
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Video Game)
I was expecting crap with Ryse: Son of Rome (advance word and release reviews were almost nothing short of sour, which is mind-boggling to say the least) and to be honest, I ended up enjoying the game quite a bit. Let's get the obvious out of the way first, the graphics are outstanding and unbelievably detailed. A LOT of work was done on those environments and character models and it shows. We've definitely reached a point where in-game graphics look like pre-rendered cut scenes, which seemed impossible only a few short years ago. The storyline is engaging but merely average. The voice acting is very well done and you'll love to hate your enemies in this as they're pretty scummy.

The gameplay is somewhat repetitive but I think the draw of it is in trying to master it. It plays very similar to the fighting mechanics of games like Assassin's Creed and most definitely the Batman Arkham games. It's pretty simple but every battle leaves you thinking, "Hmm, I could've done that better." And that's what keeps you coming back to it. The controls are solid and controlling Marius is never frustrating. The online multiplayer is a lot of fun also, with you and another player taking on enemies inside the Colosseum.

Is it a perfect game? Nah. Is it a must buy? I wouldn't go that far either. Is it better than what the reviews and people who haven't even played it would have you believe? Most certainly. I'd give it a 3 and a 1/2 out of 5 at the very least.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, beautiful violence., January 5, 2014
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Video Game)
Ryse: Son of Rome is easily the best looking game I've ever played on a console. Hands down. I wish I could compare it to something, but I really can't. Every graphical detail is superb. There are certain moments in the game that you take a pause from slaying barbarians just to take in the beauty of the environments you find yourself fighting in. This, and Battlefield 4, are absolutely the best looking games out right now for the Xbox One, and the only games in the current line up that give you that "next generation" feel as you play through them.

The gameplay in Ryse: Son of Rome is great, but its not for every type of gamer. If you're into the type of games where you just slash through and brutalize all of your assailants, than this game is for you. You get to perform some of the absolute most gnarliest finishes/executions I've ever seen on any game outside of Mortal Kombat. And its done in a very smooth, fluid manner. As your playing through most of the game your using your attack buttons( X and Y) for most of the combat. After you've stunned your opponent, or just beat him to a pulp you can press the RT(right trigger on Xbox one, of course)to enter into the execution "mode". The camera zooms in, the action slows down, and you use either the X or Y button to absolutely tear apart your adversary. The feeling you get is a lot like the scenes in the movie 300 where they break phalanx and you see Leonidas taking out individual bad guys by himself. You can even set up a situation where you perform two executions on two enemies at once! It has a real movie quality and makes you feel like you're playing through a movie than through a game. I'm actually short of words to describe just how awesome this is if you're an epic action movie type fan like myself.

The storyline is also fantastic. I don't want to get too much into detail because I don't want to spoil the game, but I will tell you that story takes you all over Europe, and you get to face some really awesome opponents and fight in some truly gorgeous and/or creepy settings. For instance, do you remember the bear like people from the movie the 13th warrior? If you do, you'll be really excited to see that you infiltrate a village of a tribe of people that look and act just like those guys. You even get to fight under a giant wicker man to save your men and one of your superiors. There's much more than just the stages for the epic battles you'll be fighting, though. You go through Roman cities, fight in the Roman colosseum(so awesome) and much more. But more importantly, the story is engaging and entertaining, especially if you're into ancient Roman history even a little bit. Of course, I'm not saying the story is from actual Roman history, but it allows you to get a feel for what being a Roman centurion might have felt like when Rome was starting to crumble.

I would say that there is a moderate replay value with Ryse: Son of Rome. I've played through the story twice, and I had fun doing it both times. The first play through was just me experiencing the game for the first time and taking it all in. I was so impressed with the game as a whole that I decided I wanted to play through again and try to really take advantage of everything the games combat system has to offer. Not only did I find some things that i missed in the first play through, I also had a really good time playing through the game because I had full command over all of the abilities that the character has to offer. You get to keep your acquired upgrades and skills from the first campaign, and so when you start the second campaign your centurion is much more powerful, and it really gives the game a different feel. With all of that said, I probably won't be playing through a third time unless I have a friend or something that wants to play it with me.

There is a multiplayer mode that is decent, but I don't think it was intended to be a main feature of the game anyway. Like I said, its okay. You're basically fighting like a gladiator in the multiplayer. Nothing special, really.

There are some drawbacks to the game as well.

First and foremost, the game can get a little repetitive for those that don't like hack and slash titles where the focus is mostly on brutal violence and finishing moves. There aren't a ton of combos you can do, and while there are several different executions, I think there are probably only 20 or so in total so it doesn't take long to see them all. And they don't change as you play through the game. There are some instances where you get to use the environment in the executions, but all in all you get the same 20 or so over and over again, and you don't get to choose which ones you perform. It would have been great to be able to use the upgrade system to buy executions and finishing moves, and maybe some more significant upgrades and abilites(like the ability to throw a sword stolen from another enemy, etc). I could see a lot of people who are looking for a deeper gaming experience being a bit disappointed with Ryse in this respect. Honestly, for me, the brutal executions and great graphics made up for it pretty well.

Second, and this might just be me, but I think the game could have been a bit longer. Sure, with the amount of epic action and beautiful environments it probably took the team designing and building this game years to complete. I have no doubt about that at all, But the whole game is like ten hours long, and while there is a lot of substance and fun in those ten hours, there isn't enough of it to completely satisfy my desire for barbarian blood and digital violence. This might speak to why I wanted to play through a second time.

I think my last gripe is that you see the same types of enemies through out the entire game. Towards the end you start fighting fellow Roman soldiers and a few gladiators, but for the most part you see the same three enemies rendered the same exact way over and over again. It seems like it wouldn't be that hard to come up with a few different looks to keep things interested.

For the most part, I think Ryse: Son of Rome is probably the flagship xbox one launch(BF4 loses out here due to multiplayer issues plaguing the release) title due to the amazing graphics and movie-like nature of the gameplay. When you're playing through the game and time slows down for one of those vicious finishing moves you're going to get the same feeling that you did when you watched the slo mo sequences in 300 or gladiator. And for most action movie fanatics, this will be enough to cement Ryse as one of the best games you've every played. Add the entertaining story line, the stunning backgrounds and levels you'll fight in, the sheer level of digital violence and you've got a real winner in my opinion. I whole heartedly recommend this to anyone that enjoys combat based games, time piece games, button mashers, beautiful graphics, and any game with a very high level of raw brutality. I think you'll find this game to be unlike anything you've ever played before. It is a true next generation game.

On the other hand, if you're looking for deep character customization, historical accuracy, a game where you don't hit the same two or three buttons over and over again, or if you don't enjoy excessive carnage and blood in a video game, this game is not for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truely A Next Gen Experience, April 1, 2014
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Video Game)
Ryse: Son of Rome is what an Next-Gen experience should be. This game has the best graphics of any Xbox One game I have seen yet. As a launch title, Ryse: Son of Rome has done an excellent job at portraying an amazing historical fiction with the action/adventure genre. I rented this game out of fear it would not be worthy of purchase from some of the professional reviews. Had I purchased this game I would NOT be disappointed in amount of content or the overall experience. That said, I am a casual gamer finding time on the weekends to play. The single player lasted me 7-8 hours on Hard difficulty.

Gameplay is slightly repetitive as others have noted, but it did not distract me from the overall experience as hacking and slashing was an extremely guilty pleasure. The gameplay is fluid and just looks stunning on my 60' LED TV. Multiplayer is fun as well and adds replayability to the game. I hope there is a sequel that explorers other ancient civilizations but I am happy in the Roman times, and would gladly go back to this universe! Ryse: Son of Rome is an outstanding effort into the Xbox One Next Gen experience and I highly recommend checking this one out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome game, worthy of giving it a try., December 9, 2013
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Video Game)
Ignore all the bad reviews. This game is good, although not great, it still has alot to it to make it worth 4 stars.

The combat, being the games main problem on alot of reviews, is pretty simple, but that doesn't make it boring,
If you like the combat system in the batman series, or assassin creed, this game is no different, with the quick counters and combos. The main focus for the combat is the executions which are brutal, not once did I ever find myself bored, or losing interest in the game.

Alot of that is due to the story, its great, it's like watching a movie, I couldn't wait till the next cut scene to find out what happens next.

The multiplayer is alot of fun too, but honestly don't see it holding my attention for long. Which is my only negative about the game, its got really nothing to offer after a play through or two.

Bottom line. Ignore all the bad reviews, the games not great by any means, but it definitely doesn't deserve all the low scores it has gotten on review sites. Give the game a shot once it goes down in price, or rental.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome graphics decent gameplay, April 5, 2014
This review is from: Ryse: Son of Rome (Video Game)
So I'm torn on this game. Many reviews on this title ripped it for lack of enemies and simplistic gameplay, and universally praised the graphics. However, I thought the story should have got more of the focus and increased most of the review scores that were mixed or a little below average.

1. Gameplay- First when you buy a hack N' Slash game you should know what you are getting. This is important. Because, it's a hack N' Slash button mashing will get you through most parts while other parts you will also have to put some thought and tactics to proceed to the next chapter. I found the controls in this game almost no different than God of War or any other popular hack N slash out there. Therefore I don't understand why it got ripped so much for it's gameplay. The animations were fast and fluid and very responsive to the controller. The executions are also pretty cool to see and perform, thought the executions enhanced the overall gameplay. IT's NOTHING special though simple hack n slash style.

2. Graphics- While the Xbox One may be a little underpowered when compared to the PS4, Ryse: Son of Rome was praised for it's graphics and many reviews state that it was probably the best looking launch game for either console. I will not disagree here and I totally agree. You may think the gameplay or story comes up short, but the graphics WILL NOT DISAPPOINT.

3. Story- I rather enjoyed the story for this game and the cut scenes, voice acting are done very well. I love the history stories and this one fills in nice with Barbarians Vs. the Romans with a hint of vengeance thrown in. It will keep you entertained throughout the campaign.

4. Variety of Enemies- This is where I do agree with most of the reviews. While there are different types of enemies there aren't a whole lot of variety in the enemies. Usually the characters are just a different color, but of the same class. Being that the campaign isn't the longest campaign out there it kind of helps. But, enemy variety is something they should address in the Sequel/Spin-off game that will surely come about in a 1 year or 2.

I enjoyed this game overall and would recommend it: AS LONG as you like/enjoy Hack N' Slashes. The campaign isn't that long, but will keep you entertained from start to finish. As a dad with 2 daughters I kind of enjoy the shorter games these days anyway. My game playing time is limited so Ryse: Son of Rome falls right in line with the kind of gaming experience I prefer these days. Ryse: Son of Rome has a great foundation that Crytek/Microsoft can build off in the future.

Ryse: Son of Rome
Ryse: Son of Rome by Microsoft (Xbox One)
$49.99 $35.94