4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for price, but...
I got a great buy on a Dell XPS8300 gaming rig, so decided to upgrade my 5yr old 20" Sceptre LCD. I've been on the market for a 23"/24" LCD LED for under $200. Based on the reviews I have read online, I must say there is no clear winner/loser when it comes to displays. The important specs to follow are:

Resolution: 1920x1080
Brightness: 250 or 300...
Published on October 31, 2011 by Basher's Review

This is a new monitor line from Acer, to replace the one where S231HL and S211HL are featured.

If you compare this S232HL with the older S231HL, then you'll notice that this new S232HL monitor is missing VESA Mount holes, so you won't be able to use this with stuff like Tyke Supply Dual Monitor desk clamp.

Acer also has a mess regarding the specs of...
Published on August 25, 2011 by Constantine Murenin

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for price, but..., October 31, 2011
This review is from: S232HL ABID/ET.VS2HP.A01;23WIDE;MAXIMUM RESOLUTION:1920X1080;VGA, Dvi (hdcp), HD (Electronics)

Resolution: 1920x1080
Brightness: 250 or 300
Contrast Ratio: 10,000,000:1 (or higher)
Response Time: 5ms (or under)
Top Manufacturers: Dell, Asus, Viewsonic and Samsung

I came across this Acer S232HL at my local Best Buy at a discounted price of $169. Since the floor model was sitting next to a Dell and a Samsung, I was able to do a bit of comparison before buying it. Given it met or exceeded the specs above, and the price was right, I decided to give it a shot.

Physical Hardware:
* Very impressed at how light-weight and thin this display is. I can push this monitor far back against the wall, which opens up free space on my desk!
* The stand is sturdy enough, and offers simple fwd/back swivel movements
* DVI/HDMI/VGA inputs which I think should be included in all displays at this point. I understand DVI is on its way out, but it will be a few years before this is truly the case.
* No speakers and no audio in/out...but who cares. Who actually uses monitor speakers to listen to music?
* The control buttons are not ideal, but once you've configured your settings, you're done.

Display (Side-by-side comparison to 5-year-old Sceptre LCD):
* Acer is much brighter, offers better resolution, and is obviously larger.
* BUT, it appears to me that the text crispness and clarity seem a bit sharper on my old Sceptre LCD. On the Acer, there seems to be a slight haze around the letters which makes them appear unclear. The difference is very minute, but given I am very attentive to details, I notice it.
* While multi-tasking between work and Battlefield 3 each day for the last 3 days, I noticed a slight headache with a focus behind the eyes. Not sure if this is due to the brighter display.

Gaming and 1080P Video Experience:
* Have been playing Battlefield 3 in 1920x1080 resolution, and have not experienced any issues. The response is perfect, and have not experienced any ghosting issues.
* Briefly played Avatar in full 1080p and the picture quality was excellent!

Bottom Line:
* I am not yet convinced this is the monitor for me. Although my game and video experience has been great, I am less impressed with the crispness and clarify of the simple text on the screen, which to me, is huge!

Specs:
i7 2600
12GB SD-RAM
128GB Sata III SSD
1GB Sata II HD
ATI Radeon 6870 1GB Video

4.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly good, esp for the price, June 19, 2011
I went to the store to buy a Samsung 23"; I wanted a 2ms quality monitor but could not exceed 22" in width. While looking at the Samsung I saw this one. I rarely make impulse buys, I generally read all the reviews before deciding what to buy. I'd always considered Acer to be 'low end' and I must admit my first impression was that I might be buying a piece of junk. I don't think that is true in this case- the stand is sturdy, and tilts. The unit was packed nicely and included all 3 cable types inside the box (DVI, VGA, and HDMI). Yes, it lacks speakers (although I never understood why someone would want speakers in their monitor - what kind of quality sound could they possibly achieve?). The specs are great - full HD, 1920 x 1080, 2ms response, great contrast ratio and plenty of brigthness, LED backlit.

I am still fiddling with the color adjustment; I think out-of-the-box it's a bit too bright, the whites are very white (for example). I have no idea about the longevity, but so far I am happily surprised and do not regret buying an Acer, a brand I did not have a good impression of thus far. This is nice for the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars now no VESA mount on this new model; still only 1080p at 16:9, August 25, 2011
Constantine Murenin (Russian fellow, resides in Greenville, NC, the USA) - See all my reviews

Acer also has a mess regarding the specs of this new monitor: some of their literature claims an improvement from 5ms to 2ms for the 23" model, and also from 170°/160° to 176°/170°. However, other docs claim that refresh rates and viewing angles are identical. Supposedly, this new model is slightly thinner; however, the previous model was already terribly thin, and without putting them side by side, I'd say they don't appear to have different thickness levels. This new version seems to address the annoying uber-bright power button from S2x1HL, which is a nice improvement.

Unless you're into gaming, really hate the prior power button, or this monitor sells up cheap, I'd recommend you stick with the prior model that has VESA Mount and is currently considerably cheaper than this new model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything is great so far!, July 11, 2012
My 19" ViewSonic stopped working so I needed a nice monitor fast on the cheap. I picked this up at a local MicroCenter. First thing I had to do was replace the included DVI-VGA cable with a third-party DVI-DVI cable. ALL THE REVIEWS THAT SPEAK OF THIS DISPLAY BEING FUZZY ARE DUE TO THE INCLUDED CABLE. Get a pure DVI cable and your picture quality will become perfect.

This monitor is super thin, great picture, high resolution, looks very stylish and overall I'm impressed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Monitor, Fair Price, January 25, 2012
Mars Burton (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
I've been using this monitor for a month now and I feel I can make a fair assessment to it's pros and cons.

Pros:
- Very reasonable price.
- Good viewing angles, steady refresh rate, no stuttering, good picture.
- Large viewing area, plenty of room to work.
- Great colors.

Cons:
- As some people have noted, there is some "fuzz" on the edges of things (primarily text), but it has less to do with the quality of the monitor and more to do with the finish used on the screen. It has a matte finish that adds a little to the edges. At first, I found it a little bothersome, but now that I've used it .. it's just a different monitor. I don't notice the difference between this and my MacBook now.

5.0 out of 5 stars just what I wanted, June 20, 2013
Product was exactly what I was looking for. came with all necessary cables. there was no damage to unit and was received before expected.

4.0 out of 5 stars LED monitor, January 5, 2013
great monitor it was easy set up and working well with my desktop i have two that i can work together

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead on Arrival, December 7, 2012
Dead on Arrival. Never buy refurbish again! After several attempts of restarting and changing cords the monitor never powered on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, April 25, 2011
good monitor for the money.
I like the HDMI connection.
the only problem is...if you look at the manual
on line or in the box.
they don't tell you where,
the power button is.
witch by the way,
it's under the acer logo.
push up on clear glass,
under logo in bottom center of screen.

2.0 out of 5 stars No audio jack??, April 22, 2011
The monitor is indeed quite the spectacle.But i bought it to play my 360 on and come to find out,I knew it had no built in speakers but no audio jack either???What kind of mess is that?Every monitor has one even if it doesnt come with built in speakers.For such an awesome full HD monitor you would think it would at least have some kind of way to retrieve sound.5 stars if it had it tho