Automotive Holiday Deals GG Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Tikes

on August 10, 2011
I had two guys try and rob me outside of a gas pump and I actually used it. They were big guys and both on the ground in seconds. I couldnt beleive how effective and powerful this stuff is. I bought this can for self defense against road rage. Living close to L.A. we get alot of that out here.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2013
This is some very strong stuff! Having used this on a guy who tried to attack me I can tell you this thing is a life saver. I live in a bad neighborhood so I bought this pepper spray for protection. This big fat guy that's known to pick on smaller people (he's 6'5 275 lbs. I'm 5'7 170 lbs.) where I live attacked me. I was able to dodge the brunt of his attack, get my can of pepper spray (this model is bigger than the ones you carry on a key chain) from my pocket and I sprayed the guy in the face from ear to ear (left to right, right to left). The guy quickly started screaming and coughing, fell to his knees, was cursing me out, then started crying for help. I called the police and they arrested the guy.

Important things to remember:
1. Test your pepper spray by shooting a few bursts when you first get the product. It's important to know whether or not you have a working can of pepper spray during a testing than during an attack.
2. Read the directions. The maker suggests the best way to spray an attacker and what to do once you've used the pepper spray on an attacker. That's why I sprayed the guy the way I did and quickly called the police.
3. VERY IMPORTANT- Do not attack your attacker after you have pepper sprayed the person. You can get in trouble for this and end up being the one who gets arrested.
on November 16, 2012
Before I bought this, I had tried Sabre Red, Pepper Bloc and a few no-name keychain units from the gun shop. Now that I'm in so deep trying to maintain a comprehensive guide to chemical deterrents I figure I may as well post my full review here, shamelessly promoting my site in the process :P This is serious stuff, and I'm a serious guy, so seriously read this. :)

Onset: 8/10
2-5 seconds, as the CS tends to cause a much more immediate and involuntary reaction when used in conjunction with OC. The classic sting of Sabre Red meets the snot-monster virus that is CS gas equals a fast-acting and highly disorienting product, an ideal for any defense spray out there

Potency: 9/10
This is the real deal, folks. Sabre Red proudly lays claim to have been "making grown men cry since 1976″ with authority, being one of the most popular and widely-used brands available to both civilian and LEO/CO use. It's claimed to be a water-based solution with over 3,000,000 SHUs in it, making the nozzle heat around 300,00. A fresh, cultivated, hot-as-it-gets jalapeno is roughly 6,000 SHUs, so do the math. Hot. Hot. HOT. Note the non-flammable forumla. Alcohol-based sprays in the past, when used with a stun gun or tazer, will set the target on fire. Not :haha some flames woo take that" kind of fire, but the cruel, overkill kind that can (and will) make your defense in court that "setting a mugger on fire that horrible way was necessary" run a bit thin. So, Sabre is the kind, gentle OC spray, if that's remotely possible.

Duration: 8/10
Sabre sticks around well enough alone, but the tear gas is what makes this stuff such a nasty concoction. The primary effects of OC wear off in an hour or so, but CS clings to just about everything for around a week if not removed during decontamination. It is NOT a good idea to use it indoors (unless it's in a foam or gel, and even then...) as it makes the affected area uninhabitable- obviously not the intended effect when defending yourself. Use caution with any CS spray, especially when you're going to have to literally live in it! I'll have to elaborate more on this in the subsequent article, but trust me: this turns a hard-assed criminal into a crying, bubbling, snot-dripping bag of "WATER! WATER! HELPHELPHELPHELP" in moments. It works as it says. Period.

Size: 10/10
The pink keychain units are incredibly popular for a number of reasons: it's small, easy to hide in your hand, looks more like lipstick or candy than liquid hell and costs less than $8. Of course, just about EVERY company offers these sizes, but Sabre is easily the most commonly found, purchased and carried. And for you macho-men out there: ain't nothing wrong with the color pink, and if it honestly bothers you that much then you're missing the forest for the trees (and compensating for something, I bet)!

Patterning: 7/10
Cone is the ideal for most situations, and there's little difference between it and any other leading brand. The propellant, while not as top-shelf as Freeze +P, allows roughly 25 half-seconds bursts or 10 seconds of a constant stream from one of the tiny keychain models. That's a hefty bit of spray for the compact size, and it delivers every time. Plus, the body has an involuntary reaction to CS exposure, immediately coughing, opening the eyes and gasping for air. This is a very, very bad idea when you have a gaseous root canal in your lungs and all over your face. Damn. Take a second to YouTube that. I'll wait.

Alright, cool. See how the OC gives a couple seconds to kick in, while even the training Marines often drop from the OC/CS combination? Proof is in the pepper-flavored pudding, y'all.

Reputation: 6-8/10

Allow me to explain this peculiar rating: as multiple independent studies have show the potency and consistency of Sabre in terms of fluctuating MCC ratings, I sadly have to dock a couple of points for QC errors with a product that needs to be formulated exactly as advertised and labeled. However, these sources are still questionable, and as I have yet to run a full HPLC test on it I cannot say for sure that these rumors are true, so (for the time) please disregard them. If I learn something new, I'll post it here immediately. For now, read below.

"Making Grown Men Cry Since 1976!" It's right there on the package. It's commonly referred to as the flagship formulation for OC brands and carries with it a long history of use by the NYPD, DEA, LAPD and thousands of law enforcement agencies worldwide. It's the Jay-Z of pepper spray: the news kids might have the attention of the public, but nobody can rock it quite like the original and "greatest rapper alive" that is the OC/CS nightmare. It burns, it lasts and 95% of the time, it works every time! *note: an estimated 5% of Americans have little to reactions to OC, CS or even CN. Always keep that in mind.

Potency DOES vary batch-to-batch (as with any manufactured product) as HPLC testing has shown various levels of both CS and OC. This appears to have been cleared up, whatever it was, but rumors persist that some cans are just plain crappy. Thus, test it (like you should normally do anyway) before using or carrying it. I mentioned this above, so it's not really a drawback. You can't fire it upside-down unlike their differently-propelled mixes, nut hey, you've already got canned "NO" in face-melting form. Be happy with that. The CS will contaminate any room or indoor area, but that's to be expected. If you want something suited perfectly to use as a home defense tool, check out the upcoming Sabre Red and Sabre HD articles. Things get foamy, stick, and inconceivably bleak for the assailant!

I'm impressed with Sabre 3-in-1. It's like the .357 Magnum of OC sprays: while there may be more technologically enhanced and hotter, more intense stuff out there, but at the end of the day it's what modern brands aspire to meet or exceed in their own developments while remaining a serious contender in the combination OC/CS market. Hot as hell itself with the added benefit of tear gas, reliable enough for most major agencies to carry, and readily available, this is what people think of first when they think "police-grade" pepper spray.

Sabre Advanced 3-in-1 can be bought at many sport suppliers and gun stores, though you're likely to find the best deal online. This 4oz. can is $16 while this other seller is $13 with free shipping. Shop around, browse the web and you'll have no trouble finding a steal of a deal. I mean, $14 shipped for the Advanced Magnum spray with a cone pattern is an incredible bargain, especially when you're ordering from a reputable, well-known site that can deal with RMAs, returns and any problems that might arise from a transaction. In summation? Buy a can of this and you won't regret it. It's what I personally carry daily and, as explained above, is powerful and fast-acting. Go buy some! And tell them I sent you!

** This is a review from my blog and pepper spray guide @ We cover everything from Sabre, Fox and Mace to Wildfire and Freeze +P with new articles twice a week! Check it out! **
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 13, 2011
I bought 2 of these canisters in 2000 and kept them for more than 10 years. They were actually expired when I was forced to use one of them. It still worked. I was walking my dog, who is about 50lbs when a much larger dog broke through a fence gate and charged us down. I called out for the owners of the dog to come get him, but that didn't happen very quickly. Instead, the rest of the neighborhood watched. We stood there, since the dog was running faster than I could and it would be better if someone could get to the dog quickly. The attacking dog actually stopped, sniffed noses with my dog, and started to walk away. It then suddenly turned around and pounced on my dog. This dog was about twice the size of my dog. I managed to get the pepper spray into the attacking dogs face and he ran back to his house. The pepper spray proved effective in stopping the attack. Neither dog was injured as a result of the confrontation and the attacking dog seemed to pose no threat to people. I went back after everyone was cleaned up and met the dog, who was not vicious in any way toward me. Dogs are dogs and vet bills are vet bills.

Just a couple of things. The Sabre 3 in 1 worked, even past the expiration date. The only complaint I had is that it was difficult to aim in that situation. Granted, I was holding a dog on a leash, a dog that was being attacked, but this product was a little difficult to use at a very short distance. Maybe a cone spray would have been better. The product sprayed a stream, or at least it seemed that way. It drew a narrow pattern on both dogs. It might be better for longer distance attacks because of the concentrated stream. It was still much better than having to physically fend off the dog, which may have resulted in some injury. The pepper spray prevented serious injury to both animals and to myself, although both the woman who owned the other dog and I managed to get this stuff on us and in our own eyes as a result of interaction with our animals. Everyone ended up OK.

***EDIT*** 12/9/2012 - Note. It was pointed out in the review comments that the thin stream I experienced was probably due to the age of the pepper spray canister.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2011
Sprays well with a good spray pattern. not too wide or narrow. however, if you live in Calif. the most your allowed is 2.5oz this size is over 3oz. still recommend it, just keep it on the downlow or buy a 2.5oz to do the ole switch-a-rue.
on March 2, 2013
My two little dogs and me love going for long walks, park walks, trail walks, and walks down side-walks. However, we often encounter loose dogs and they always seem to be bully dogs. Well, when you have a German Shepard, Doberman, bull dog or other large powerful dog attacking you and your two little warriors ( a shih tzu and a tibetan terrier) you don't have much of a chance scaring a huge dog away! Sabre, Police Magnum, takes the battle out of every dog we've had charging at us before they could make physical contact! Just aim straight for the nose and eyes and all is over. PS. always remember if the wind is blowing towards you and you have to aim into the wind close your eyes spray while turning your head!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2011
I've never had to use this thankfully, but it is a nice addition to have in a bag while commuting. Easy to use, and quite quick. Sprays very well. ( I've tested it in my back yard.)
on May 2, 2012
I was expecting a smaller canister, but this one is good sized can with a high percentage of active ingredient (OC).

I bought the can of Sabre Red Self Defense Pepper Spray, after a mountain of a redneck tried to run me down in traffic after work here one night. Carrying a firearm on base isn't an option where I work, so I bought this as the nicer way to deal with such actions in the future. The guy had followed me for nearly five miles past my house and to the police station cursing and threatening me and flying more birds than the opening-day of duck season.

I knew if I stopped at the house it would have escalated, one because he would know where I lived, and two, because I have a very strong 2nd Amendment hobby. My daddy didn't raise no fools.(For those with no acumen for covert humor,...I'd have shot him.) I called the local 911 and instead led him on a 5 mile chase through town to the police station a few blocks from my house.

Two cops greeted me in the parking lot at the local LEO hangout and the first thing they asked me was, "Do you have any firearms in your vehicle?" He saw me shut my door, because "unlawful search and seizure" doesn't apply if you leave your doors wide open. I told the officer honestly there were "no guns in my vehicle, or this nonsense would have stopped five miles back down the road!" (He looked at me like I had just peed in the swimming pool or something.) He told me I should leave my vehicle windows up all the time when driving, because people get murdered that way in Alabama all the time... REALLY??? Not the brightest badge-toter.

Well, this young officer looked like he was barely past puberty and was shorter than me and had obviously imbibed an extreme amount of donuts in his brief law enforcement career, and his buddy was only a few inches taller and slender as a rail, so neither one looked like a match for the big, bald and bearded six foot-six inch, redneck that stormed out of the passenger seat of the small SUV further down the parking lot where they had directed him.

They talked to both of us and sent him fuming on his merry way. I let them know a concealed carry permit would be crossing their desk in a few days and that several cans of pepper spray would be ordered in the interim on Amazon. I've seen this stuff used in the Marines while covering a demonstration for OC for the base newspaper once on Lejeune. I got enough down-wind drift to satisfy my curiosity then. Trust me, nothing will make a big Marine grunt hug a water-hose and cry like a baby better than this stuff...well, unless maybe old CS gas activating in his tighty-whiteys, but that's a review for another time. ;)

Get the Sabre. It works. Enough said. Hope you enjoyed the review.

Semper Fi!
on September 24, 2013
I was waiting till I actually had to use this stuff to write a review. In short, it helped me defend myself against a 6 ft 6 in. bully. This person chased after me after I let him know his attempts at intimidation and bullying were not going to be tolerated (perhaps chasing with the intent to cause physical harm or not, however, when someone is about to physically assault you, they don't say, "hey, I'm about to physically assault you, so get ready to defend yourself physically." So I wasn't going to risk it) and I gave a good spray right in his face. It sent him the other way.

I don't really want to give this product some miracle/ultimate defense stamp of approval, but the bully in this case was a pretty big guy and a bouncer for quite a few years (yes, I know him, unfortunately). In hindsight I'm not sure how much better the situation became because of the "you're dead!" threats. But I believe the bully now knows that certain others can and will fight back effectively. *that awkward moment when you're not nearly as tough as you thought you were* That's my two cents.

Oh but one drawback is that this incident took place in my own home and not outside. Fair warning, this can have some kickback. Meaning, I did get a little bit of vapor on my own face. Not bad, but still. But the good news is that it's a couple hours later and I don't smell it in the hallway.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2014
Bought 2 for my wife that were placed in different locations in the house. My son found one and out of curiosity sprayed a small amount into a cloth in the kitchen sink. "I just wanted to see if it worked". Everyone in the next room immediately became aware of it. We threw the cloth away and abandoned the kitchen for a couple of hours. Haven't had to use it in self defence, but have high confidence that it will do the job. My son was placed on double secret probation, but I believe he now knows it works and he will be sleeping outside if he does it again.