Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Color: 2.5" to 3.5" (black)Change

on November 30, 2014
NOTE that this Amazon listing includes two different items: BK-PCBS and BK-HDDH. Here I am reviewing the BK-HDDH which sells at a lower price than the BK-PCBS. (I'm adding this note 7 months after my original purchase, I think the listing may have changed in that time. Below is my original review of the BK-HDDH.)

It's good for what it is, but I should point out that it aligns the SSD to center. So, the SATA and power connectors don't end up in the same place they would if this were a normal hard drive.

So, this is not the adapter to get if your hard drive fits in a sled and slides into a bay where it connects to a backplane. The connectors will not align. See my picture for greater clarity.

If you're putting the SSD in a case where you just connect a SATA cable, this adapter is just fine.
review image review image
44 comments315 of 321 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2014
Samsung 840 Evo in the hard drive tray, and then installed in the plastic tray in a Dell Optiplex 755.

Note that the tray centers the drive and the connectors. It does not put the SATA connectors in the same location that the connectors would be on a 3.5" drive (see my next picture). This made reassembly in the Optiplex 755 very difficult. It also recessed the SATA connectors back about an inch instead of bringing the connectors to the same 'flush' back as a standard 3.5" drive's connectors.

With that said, good tray if you understand what the final mounting is like.
review image
0Comment97 of 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2014
The overall quality of this bracket is excellent. Well formed and finished metal. But, there is one major issue with it, which could be showstopper.
The threads on the outside are not the typical 6/32 threads used on 3.5" disk drives. They are the M3 screw threads used on CD/DVD and 2.5" drives, and match the included screws. The problem is that many PC cases use special sized/shaped 6/32 screws to mount 3.5" drives in the drive cages.
I was able to retap the screw holes with a 6/32 tap, and the bracket then worked for me. But, it was an annoying extra step. It would be nice if they matched the threads normally used for a 3.5" device.
This bracket will hold two 2.5" devices, if they are thin. But it would be nice if there was a bit more vertical clearance between two devices for better cooling airflow and cable access.
77 comments85 of 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2014
My main problem with this drive mount is that it is set up to place the drive approximately centered side to side, and centered front to back. The problem is that this does not align the power and data connections with where they are on a 3.5" drive. The drive should be positioned in the bracket towards the back and to one side so that the cable connections are in the same place they would be for a 3.5" drive.

In my case, there was not enough slack in the power cable to attach the drive with the drive in the centered location. There are a few different mounting holes in the bracket that will allow some different positioning, but nothing that will put the cable connectors in the right position. I had to drill new holes in the bracket to get it pushed to the back of the drive bay. I also had to cut off part of the drive bay mount to allow clearance for the cables since they were in the wrong place side to side.

Overall, it was probably easier to modify this than to build something from scratch. However, I would have preferred not to have had to take the extra time to modify it.

I looked at other products for this purpose and they all seem to be set up the same way, with the drives centered in the bay. I guess I need to design and sell my own that puts the drive in the right location.
review image review image
22 comments49 of 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2015
This mounting kit, which supposedly "[supports] any computer cases with an available 3.5" drive bay (both screw-on type or tool-less type)", does not work with my case because it lacks the bottom screw holes present on most 3.5" hard drives. In their place, we get a functionally useless cutout of the Sabrent logo.

Granted, I should have figured this out from the pictures, but hurried me quickly read the quoted part of the description and ordered anyway.
review image
33 comments48 of 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2014
Like other reviewers have stated, the screw holes for the 3.5-Inch part of this converter are not standard hard drive threads. If you have a Mac Pro or a PC case that uses special rails or caddies then consider purchasing a different product.
22 comments20 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2014
Works just as it should. It converts a single 3.5" drive to 2 separate 2.5" drives and includes all the necessary screws (there's even an extra screw). It holds the drives tightly so that they don't move while installing and getting the screws in place. I would definitely buy one again.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 15, 2013
Rather helpful product if one is converting over to SSDs from the normal mechanical drive. There are very few ways to go wrong with this type of product, honestly. To the holes lines up for mounting a 2.5" drive? Check. Do the holes line up for mounting the whole thing in a 3.5' drive slot? Check. Is the material used at least as stiff as that of the chassis? Check. And that's about all there is to it. Sabrent does include extra mounting screws in case you don't have any or lost them on accident, which is nice.

*Disclosure: I was contacted by Sabrent and given a sample of this product specifically for the purpose of reviewing it.*
0Comment41 of 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2015
I Installed this Sabrent 2.5 to 3.5 unit in my Late-2012 27" iMac. I previously installed an SSD + HDD kit (imgur pictures of build: http://goo.gl/xaqyiI) from Maxupgrades.com (kit website: http://goo.gl/AZ6vl7) and decided that to replace my Seagate HDD with a Samsung 850 Evo SSD. With the Sabrent Kit I was able to mount both SSDs on top of one another where the original 3.5" HDD would have been. Everything is working perfectly.

TLDR; No regrets, would suggest to everyone and purchase again.
review image review image review image
on September 5, 2015
NO return policy? After carefully reviewing and researching a SSD drive for my computer (Alien ware Aurora) ALL of the suggestions made from Amazon were to purchase this product so the SSD drive would fit in a 3.5" bay. Now that I see the other reviews, I was not a ware that this attachment would NOT allow me to align the SATA connection properly! Now that I have no use for this product, was not aware that they do sell the adapter at twice the price. Now I cannot return it as per Sabrent policy. This is not kool and why are you a PRIME product? Your no return policy is not right and you must have it for a reason?
review image
22 comments5 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse