Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on September 2, 2011
What we thought was going to be an easy upgrade has ended up shutting our office down. Timeslips 2012 links with Abacus and Outlook. Sounds wonderful? no, it has disabled our email and Abacus. When you call for support, Sage has decided to outsource their support calls to India. The people handling support calls do not know what they are doing. If you ask to speak to someone in the United States, they don't know what to do with that request either. This company offers 30 day support and you will utilize every bit of the 30 days to get support. After 30 days, you can either cry or pay $50 to initiate a call and $5 for every minute thereafter. Our office is still disabled and disappointed extremely.
on January 10, 2012
We're forced to use this product for our dealings with Insurance companies, otherwise I would definitely use something else. This may be the market leader, but I'm sure that's becuase of inertia--once you have your data in TS, you're NOT getting it out to export to another product, forcing you to stay with their junk.

I've had nothing but trouble dealing with the company, from the original order (they sent install codes for the wrong version of the product) to configuring the product (vague and incorrect instructions).

The interface design is clumsy and inelegant at best, counter-intuitive at worst. Performance is poor; prepping bills for mailing can take many long minutes as the program grinds through the database. You can definitely tell that this has been designed and implemented by committee and reams of offshore programmers working on individual "modules" leading to a patchwork, pieced-together feel.

Tech support is only though Indian call centers, where you'll wait an hour or more for assistance only to find their people are not knowledgeable about the product. You must pay $320 for an annual contract to be able to access their online knowlegebase (NO online forums otherwise--try googling an error message sometime, you'll come up with 2 or 3 hits, nothing else) or pay $50 a call for tech support to speak with you.

(By the way, here's a RED FLAG--any time a company CHARGES YOU for allowing YOU to SOLVE YOUR OWN PROBLEM--run the other way as fast as you can.)

Sage seems to be a repository for clumsy, ugly software--Timeslips, ACT, Peachtree Accounting--all products with flaws that are perpetuated through each annual "upgrade;" they never fix the underlying issues, just release a new version to keep that cash flow coming.
on June 6, 2012
I have been working in an accounting firm for 8 years now in IT. We are a small office about 20-30 employees and Timeslips was great and gave us no issues with the 2006 version. We finally had to upgrade or lose all support and what a mistake that was.

-The program gets constantly corrupted from heavy use periods (billing) which requires a tech to remote in and fix the corrupted files.

-Support is garbage, the new "sage customer portal" is also garbage you can't even create an account without calling support the website is so broken and only works on IE7... this is unacceptable.

Our support issues from upgrading to and using the new version were so severe we were sending reports to the development team directly via an intermediary certified tech consultant (who screwed us out of ~5-10 grand and we never had our issue resolved)

the only reason we went with Timeslips was we figured the cost of training our employees on new software was too much however the 3rd party support bill alone would allow a business to buy ANYTHING ELSE.

The takeaway: This program is slow useless garbage while alluring for its features and lower price then its competitors, the hassle created if you have even one single tech issue is not worth the money you've saved. The price to hire 3rd parties for support or overtime for existing IT employees completely wastes any savings from choosing this garbage.

People only buy Sage software if they are forced into it like we were. (its never the BEST option)
on October 2, 2012
We are small law office with 3 attorneys. We have had nothing but problems with Timeslips 2012. It frequently freezes and often will not let us associate a date with an entry. Tech support (in India) told us that, each time, we have to shut down our computer and delete some temporary files on our computer. With this process, it can take hours to make a few entries. We used to have Timeslips 2010, which was a little clumsy, but worked OK. We have come to dread Timeslips upgrades, as often the new program is worse than the old one.

If you are a new business/firm looking for a new billing software, I do NOT recommend Timeslips.
on November 3, 2015
This review is of the Sage Timeslips company and its attitude toward Timeslips users. A few years ago I bought Sage Timeslips 2011. It was way more than I needed but I had a substantial preexisting Timeslips database from an earlier version and assumed it would be easiest to integrate it into a Sage Timeslips product. This year, 2015, I had to wipe my hard drive clean and reinstall my software & data. Not fun, but not that big of a deal. When I reinstalled Sage Timeslips 2011 and then tried to get it to open my most recent database, it gave me an error that the database was created by a version more recent than the one I was trying to use to read it. OK, fine. I don't doubt I received a couple of online updates during the past few years. So I went to Sage's website to update my Timeslips 2011. There, I was astonished to find out that anything older than 2013 is considered obsolete and not supported. I called Sage and got even worse info over the telephone: They would not help me with updates unless I had the 2014, 2015, or 2016 version. Could I buy a 2014 or 2015 version for a discount? No. The only one for sale is 2016, at $600+. I explained that I'm mostly retired, don't need anything fancier than I already have, and just want to keep using it. No dice. They refused to even consider the options (including emailing my database to them so they could make it compatible with the 2011 disk). What other company considers software from 2011 (and 2012 and 2013, for that matter) to be obsolete to the point they won't even discuss it? Sage gets a "zero" star in my book.
By comparison, we also use Quickbooks and our current version is 2007, which provides everything we need. At the same time as reinstalling Timeslips, we reinstalled Quickbooks 2007, went to the Intuit website to get updates so it would open our database, and found complete updates available at just a click going all the way back to and including 2004. Very user-friendly.
The point: If you buy Sage Timeslips, be aware that you'll be buying it again periodically whether you want to or not.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2014
My office uses Sage Timeslips and has used it since 1994. Our current version is Timeslips 2012. We are an accounting firm and we bill for our time based on the amount of time spent on a project. Timeslips is fine for this process. Time accumulation, billing and collections work fine. After billing or collection a journal entry can be printed to post to your accounting program. We use QuickBooks and are happy with this process. Sage does not attempt to stay current with QuickBooks releases so the journal entries cannot be posted automatically.

I have rated the program a 3 for functionality. I am writing this review to discuss my most recent experience with technical support. Timeslips quit working just after we had completed a month end billing run which does take some time. I called customer support and explained that I was receiving a database error and did not want to restore the last backup because I would have to redo all of the billing which would take many hours. First I must pay $100 for technical support. I paid and spent a half hour with the support person from India controlling my machine, who then told me they were closing (It was 4 pm PST). He copied the diagnostic from my computer and said I needed a database expert and they were also closed but call tomorrow morning. The next morning I called and talked to a database expert who controlled my machine and said that I had a database error and he could not fix it. I could send my database to Sage but they will probably charge me an additional charge for this and I should just restore my most current backup if I didn't want to do this.

I am out $100, about 2 hours of my time, plus approximately 4 hours to redo my month end client billing since Sage could not fix my problem. On each call I told them I had a database error and I didn't want to restore my last backup. I would not waste your time and money attempting to get help from Sage technical support.
on March 21, 2013
I haven't even installed the program yet and I'm annoyed with it.

After purchasing the software I received an email with a download link. It seems sage insists that you use a 'download manager' to download the software.

First issue, as I was using Firefox the site insisted that I install "Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant" as a requirement to run the download manager. Ok... so I give in and install the required framework assistant.

Second issue, now the web site insists that I must "install .NET Framework 4.0 on your machine". Oh goody... now I have to give in and download another 48 MB package then install dot net 4.0 on my computer.

After all that I'm finally able to download the Time Slips installation program. By downloading the install program I learn the entire download is 178 MB and the complete download took less the 2 minutes to complete. well, plus the 20+ minutes to ensure my computer finally "meets the download requirements"

Really? All that hassle and trouble for a 2 minute, 178MB download? Talk about ridiculous! Who the heck decided this was a good idea? Now I need to go back and uninstall the "Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant" from Firefox. To me this is just another unneeded, unwanted security risk. All this for one lousy download.

Seriously Sage what are you thinking? Twenty plus minutes of BS all for a "less than 2 minute" download. Here is the kicker, the software will not even be installed on the machine used for download.

After reading the other reviews below I'm almost afraid to install it on any machine.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2013
Is a pain to upgrade and you will continually run into issues. Then when you call to get some support it will cost you $100 per issue and you will be on the phone for about an hour just to speak with someone. The phone message tells you that you can get faster service online, but if you do that they tell you that they are unable to connect with the service department. I would save your money.
on November 25, 2013
product is almost entirely unusable. it keeps getting worse and worse. its almost like they are trying to ruin their own business.