|Hard Drive||256 GB|
SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Desktop Upgrade Kit MZ-7PC256D/AM
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- Type of Drive :SSD
- Form Factor:2.5-inch
- Interface SATA3 (SATA 6Gbits/s)
- Random Read Speeds: 80,000 IOPS
- Memory Type Toggle DDR 2xnm class NAND Flash
- Sequential Read/Write Speeds: 520 MB/s / 160 MB/s
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
From what I've read on the matter... Samsung SSDs have a very low failure rate, second only to Intel, but far better than other competitors. This is also faster than Intel's current fastest SSD, and it's much cheaper. Speed, price, and reliability... all that together is hard to beat. Add to that, it has none of the hassles that all of the SSDs with Sandforce controllers frequently have (Kingstons, OCZs, Corsairs, Patriots, etc.).
Buy this without the kit, if possible, or with the notebook kit if you want a USB to Sata adapter.
I found it to be almost worthless. The 2.5" to 3.5" bay adapter came in handy, but I've gotten better ones for a few bucks on Amazon (that could mount 2 drives instead of 1).
I had done a little reading about Norton Ghost a while back, and it looked like a nice program to have. At a $70 price tag, it should be. It makes it a difficult process to clone your old hard drive to your new Samsung, though. It is not capable of copying your recovery partition, either.
I ended up scrapping the idea of using Ghost to copy my drive, and pulled out my trusty bootable Acronis True Image CD (that came with my old Kingston SSD). It made quick work of cloning my drive, and didn't require any software to be installed on my PC.Read more ›
I ended up choosing Samsung's drive over Crucial's drive for the following reasons:
1. Success and Brand. Samsung desperately needed a success in the SSD field since it's first attempt was met with a tepid reception. This subsequent attempt was very well put together in my mind. The drive utilized the latest in technology (i.e. SATA III). Furthermore, the drive is sleek, smooth, and sexy beast. Lastly, the pricing is a clear indicator that Samsung wants to be seen as a leading competitor in this field.
2. SSD Magician. Samsung's accompanying program SSD Magician provides an array of well thought options with a very easy to use GUI. Moreover, with your permission, it highlights and then changes options that negatively affect the drive performance. Furthermore, the program allows you to schedule OS optimizations and garbage collection empties. finally, one of the most important selling points, was the ability to upgrade the drives firmware without having to jump through hoops similar to flashing the bios. With this drive, I could do it just from windows.
3. Speed. This drive is fast.Read more ›
I personally own an 80gb intel 320 ssd, and a Ocz vertex 2(first generation, before OCZ went downhill...), and this drive is much faster than both. I was seriously considered purchasing an intel 320 120gb over this drive, but because this drive is Sata iii, I decided against it. I am glad I did.
I have trim enabled in Mac Os X using "TrimEnabler" Beta 2.0, if you haven't heard of it, it's a freeware app that enables trim in mac osx. One side note is, if your installing this in a laptop, be sure to purchase the "Laptop" kit, I accidentally purchased the desktop kit, which is about 5$ more expensive than the laptop kit. Lastly, the included "Norton Ghost" is useless to Mac Os X, I personally recommend "Carbon Copy Cloner" for cloning your drive, it's a freeware program that is actually recommended by intel for cloning your new ssd.
One last thought, My friend owns the Early 2011 17" Macbook pro w/ the 2.3ghz i7 upgrade, he is using a intel 320 80gb and his boot time is much slower than mine, im not entirely sure why this is, but the Samsung 830 definitely boots much faster than the Intel 320.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
So far no issues, fulfilled my expectations as far as command response.Published 19 days ago by Amazon Customer
Best SSD of its day. Still rocking today after 2 years and has the same speeds as it did when brand new. Read morePublished 14 months ago by no yuo
Excellent product. I would order again if needed. Used as my main drive on my main computer.Published 16 months ago by chief
Has worked flawlessly for 2 years. Buying the newer model for my next build. The only Chinese product I have ever bought that is high quality.Published 16 months ago by Pooch
Works just like it should and was in great shape when it arrived. Worked right out of the box.