5.0 out of 5 stars Performs like the Apple kit at a fraction of the cost!
After reading the mixed reviews here and also not knowing any compatibility with the "new ipad" 3rd generation, I was unsure as to whether this would be a good idea for my new ipad. Still, at $5 with Prime shipping, it was worth a try.

Published on March 17, 2012 by Dave Linger

3.0 out of 5 stars It didn't work with my iPad2 but...
Unfortunately, It didn't work with my iPad 2 BUT the seller was wonderful to work with. He worked with me via email to try to solve the problem. I keep getting an error that states, "This accessory is not supported by iPad". Restarting didn't fix the error and I ultimately received a refund.

There was no debate, he just worked with me and when we couldn't solve...
Published on September 1, 2011 by Cinnamon Hollow

5.0 out of 5 stars Performs like the Apple kit at a fraction of the cost!, March 17, 2012
This review is from: SANOXY® 5-in-1 Card Reader for Apple iPad, iPad 2 and iPad 3 (Personal Computers)

It came in very nice, new retail packaging and looked as it does on the product page. I immediately removed the SDHC card from my Canon 60D (SanDisk Extreme Pro, FAT 32 if it matters) and put it in the card reader, then plugged that into the ipad. Nothing. I removed it and plugged it back in, and tried opening the Photos app; still nothing. Disappointed, I checked the product a little closer and found the tiny black switch to switch between USB and Card, which was on USB. Switched it to Card and plugged it back in, and all of my photoes from the card were immediately read. Import worked fine! Super satisfied with this product.

TL;DR: It works perfectly on the New Ipad (3rd Generation).

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great - No problem on my iPad 2 with iOS 5.01, February 26, 2012
Shishin Yamada (CHICAGO, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Very pleased at price of $5. For that low price, i was notin dire need of one, but it turned out to be a fine impulse purchase.

My item promptly arrived From "Wirelessfinest" Amazon seller in 3 business days by USPS with standard shipping method. I was a bit skeptical with mixed reviews, but mine worked right out of the box with both my and my wife's ipad2, no problems.

I have tried the USB port to a camera, sd card (8gb), transflash (16gb), Sony memory stick (1gb), and Sony M2 (4gb) with all options working. I do not have a MMC card to test out (does anyone still use this older format?). So for me I can say that 4 of the 5 formats work as advertised.

The dongle is about the thickness of the iPad, and a small boxy lightweight rounded edge chunk of plastic you attach. As others reviewers noted, ignore the back of package instructions, and FIRST attach the sd card, make sure the small USB / MEMORY CARD side switch is correct before plugging into the iPad. It takes up to 15 seconds for the iPad to recognize the card, power on and go into photo viewer. You can delete or import photos (and videos) from the cards DCIM folder into the photo collection only (just like the real Apple one).

What can you do with the camera connection kit, you ask? Well, it's mostly for travelers wanting to upload or proof photos n the go. Honestly, if you're traveling, nowadays you can buy cheap large sd or transflash cards to "keep shooting." I found that overseas, where I don't take a huge AT&T iPhone data plan, that I can take my (non-carrier locked iPad with local microsim and use that for getting photos uploaded from the better camera in my iphone 4 via a USB cable (take charge cable, plug USB end into camera dongle, then plug dongle into iPad). Now I can access my iPhone photos while traveling with data roaming off.

You can use it a bit cumbersomely for movie storage, by storing ipad compatible videos in the DCIM folder. So you can delete old movies off the iPad, then upload one from a memory card into photos. Note, that unlike iTunes uploaded video, it will think its a camera video, and be in photos app. You won't have access to resume from spot, subtitles, and few other niceties as with videos. But it's a poor man's spare storage. You cannot play directly off drive it seems. You can apparently use a USB hard drive, only if you had a powered hub, if things are in a DCIM root folder, but I haven't that myself.

The USB port can be used with most USB keyboard, USB sound microphones, and USB speakers. A caveat is that for high power devices, you prob need a powered USB hub. I personally find the built in mic and speakers adequate and easier for travel with Skype. I do not use a microphone, even for the versions of Dragon Dictation Remote microphone and Dictation Recorder on my iphone i use occasionally for notes (with noise cancellation on the two iphone 4 mics, it works better than a wired headset mic into the computer). I also have mobile Bluetooth keyboards, so I'm not planning to use these additional features.

Finally, similar to the official product, it is only for importing into an iPad. It does not work to import photos into my in all, it iPhone 4. Just had to try it though. All in all it's a sometimes useful extra trickout for my iPad. I expect to use it the most when visiting mom and dad's house with their grandchildren to quickly import a copy of a photo via SD card from my dad's or brothers DSLR camera, before departing. It's faster than emailing photos, and then you get to proof and pick what to import. Hope my review helps you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Device works, just need instructions., April 2, 2012
First, tried to insert my SDHC card out of my Canon T2i, didn't work at all. Was about to return it and tried from my own card reader using USB cable and it worked. Had a dilemma if it was worth to carry my own card reader and this device, send a request to seller to return the item and received email asking to use a switch on bottom of the device to enable card reader or enable USB port and that helped.
Keeping the item - well worth the money, for under five bucks. Even though it is bulky but let's me import my pics and videos instantly for review to my IPad 2. I wish there were instructions about using the toggle when the item arrived.

Here is the extract from seller:
Hello Valued Customer,

Thank you for your recent order. When using this 5-in-1 Camera
Connection Kit, please be aware of the following issues that may
arise:

1. If a message comes up saying "item is incompatible", please
ignore it. As this is a 3rd party device (not manufactured by Apple)
it may show this message, but this product has been tested to work on
all iPads

2. There is a small toggle switch at the bottom of the device
(next to the card slots). When pushed to the right it will read from
the 2 slots on the right (memory cards), and when pushed to the left
it will read from the left slot - the USB cable.

3. This camera kit is programmed to read from cards that have
their pictures in the de facto memory card folder - the DCIM folder.
If you have ever formatted your card or added folders this may cause
the iPad not to recognize the pictures. To rectify this, simply:
Create a new folder on your card called DCIM . Copy all your
pictures into this folder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, December 12, 2011
The minute I plugged my SD into my ipad2 it started loading my pictures! Worked great! You have to insert SD first before attaching it to iPad.

5.0 out of 5 stars IPad Camera Connection Kit, December 6, 2011
This item is wonderful. It links my pictures to my IPad with this connection. As soon as I inserted it into my IPad and inserted my Micro SD, my pictures automatically went to my IPad and the music downloaded also. Works Wonderfully and I recommend this to everyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars It didn't work with my iPad2 but..., September 1, 2011

There was no debate, he just worked with me and when we couldn't solve the problem, he refunded my money. That is EXCELLENT customer service and if I could give 5 stars for that alone, I definitely would.

Your iPad may work perfectly with this 5+1 CAMERA CONNECTION KIT FOR APPLE IPAD 1ST GENERATION AND NEW GEN IPAD2: FEATURING TRANSFER VIA Camera USB CABLE,MicroSD,SD,MMC,M2, MS DUO READER like the reviewer above me. But, sadly, it didn't work with mine so I'm giving it 3 stars because, while it didn't work for me, the service was exceptional.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, February 4, 2012
Device worked for me on both USB and sd cards. I did get a device not compatible message once but just hit ok and things worked fine. Used it on my brand new ipad2.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Moving Images, May 2, 2012
I initially left feedback that said in so many words, "You get what you pay for... Don't waste your money." But in retrospect, I have to take that back, although I still think the instruction sheet it came with should have been better edited. Nevertheless, I am very pleased since the seller responded with a direct email and phonecall to explain a couple of key things that make this quite a bargain. I don't know how flexible it is as an interface for different USB devices (which I was expecting, and now KNOW it doesn't work with any thumb/flash drives I have [IPad message says the device requires too much power]); but, if you have a bunch of images or videos (I moved mp4 HD clips) stored on a TransFlash or SD card and don't have any way to use Bluetooth to move them to your IPad - this little puppy is a perfect, inexpensive solution.
There are a couple of specific things you need to know:
1 - Your files have to be in a folder named DCIM
2 - Be sure the switch on the side is set to "Card" and not "USB"
3 - Once the files are displayed within the "Photos" application, you can 'hot-swap' SD or TransFlash cards
?? - If the "Photos" app doesn't automatically start, you may need to 'restart' your IPad with the card reader plugged in
On my IPad 3 I hold down the sleep button until the "slide to power off" screen shows, continuing to hold it down until it powers off & then the 'Apple' logo comes up - at which point I let go. After I did this, my image & video files were displayed within the "Photos" application under "Camera". From there I can copy, edit and/or delete a selection or all files.
The only functional problem I would report (accually 'minor annoyance' is more accurate) is the recurrence of an error message that says "IPad does not support this device". The message is wrong, and it in NO way impedes or interferes with the desired functionality - and I can report that my IPad3 continues to function splendidly.
*** For five bucks (including shipping) I've come to believe this is a GREAT DEAL!!! ***

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, January 15, 2012
This item didn't work. I plugged it into my iPad1 and tried 2 different cards and 2 different cameras. Absolutely nothing happened. I tried every possible combination of the order of plugging things in and flipping the switch and turning on the camera. Nada. Guess I'll shell out for Apple's version.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works As Designed ... But Perhaps Bad Design, February 22, 2012
My friend bought the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit (MC531ZM/A) for $29, and I was amazed at how well it worked. So I decided to buy this generic one to try it out. The connection was not as reliable; sometimes I would have to try 2 or 3 times before the iPad recognized this card reader. But for the money, I had no complaints that I had to sometimes re-insert this thing to get it to work.

My main gripe is in the speed. This problem is not just with this generic item but also on the OEM Apple item. If the SD card has a LOT of pictures (say 800 JPGs that are 2 MB each), then it becomes nearly impossible to navigate through the pictures to select the ones to upload. The iPad needs to create a thumbnail for each picture so that you can view the pictures on the iPad. For the iPad to show the thumbnails, it will take several seconds for each page of thumbnails. To scroll 40-50 pages to find the picture that you want to upload could take 15-20 minutes. This might be a design flaw since the $29 Apple item also exhibits this behavior. If you only have 20-30 pictures on your SD card, then this is not a problem. But if you have hundreds of pictures on the SD card, then good luck navigating through all your pics.

Rate and Discover Movies