Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now HTL

on May 22, 2011
Compact, inexpensive, take with you (throw it in your carry-on) kind of power.
I bought this for the numerous times I'm out and about, not near a charger.
Turns out, this works pretty well! Bottom line, you'll get to 40% iPhone battery charge in 1 hour and 80% in 2 hours.

I did a few tests myself: first, drained my iphone 4 to zero. Next, I attached the Stitchway UltraPower 1900, fully charged, onto my iPhone 4. Using a stopwatch, I recorded the following:
15 mins = 11% iPhone charge
95 mins = 65%
119 mins = 79%
125 mins = 79%
151 mins = 79%

I stopped timing after 151 minutes.
I suspect it takes much longer to get the remaining 20% of battery charge.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2010
Since I do so many things that eat my battery power (graphics games, gps navigation etc.), it's a good idea to have a back-up when I'm out and don't have access to a plug-in charger. This item will completely recharge my iPhone 4. My wife and I both have one.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2011
When I received this, it showed a capacity of 3 stars. I charged it to full (in a couple of hours), and then tried it on my iPhone 4. After 2.5 hours, it charged from 14% to only 59%, and then the capacity ran out, and it stopped charging.

It's a female/male pass-through design. So, you can plug in your power source at the bottom (female), or plug the top into your iPhone/iPod unit (male). The top (male) connector has a removable cover.

I'm going to try charging it fully, because I've had other issues with the first cable that I used to charge this. Then, I will try charging again and see if a full charge puts the battery higher than the 59% of my first test. I will update my review when I get those results.

Design (broken connectors):
I've read some reviews and suspect people are breaking their connectors. Although there's a protective plastic piece for the "male" end of the charging unit, when it's plugged into an iPhone 4 and laying on a flat surface, the iPhone/charger doesn't sit flush. The bottom half of the iPhone is elevated 1/4 inch above the surface, and the charger is not level either. If you were to press the Home button, or otherwise work on the iPhone while it's plugged in, you would risk snapping that little connector. It seems solid enough if you're not doing anything. So, with some precaution, you could avoid this by either not using your device, or holding the sides of the unit while pressing on it.

The 4 led lights identify the capacity. They seem to come on if you have it plugged into a power source (male or female), or when pressing the button on the unit itself. The "full" led at the bottom probably only comes on after the 4th capacity is lit up, and it has a full charge. I will update when I find out for sure.

Pressing the button shows the capacity led's. It's not necessary to press the button to begin charging, it will begin automatically.

I have an Otterbox defender case, and I had to remove the iPhone from the case in order for the device to be recognized. It looked like it was fully inserted, but it wasn't. Removing the case was the only way to get it working.

I plugged the unit in, and opened Battery Doctor to perform a full cycle charge. I left the app open and running for the first portion of the test, and then turned off the device for the last portion of the test. All other apps were closed, and I did not use my device during testing. My battery started at 14% and ended at 59%.

0:00 14%
0:23 26%
0:24 27%
0:25 28%
0:35 29% * Turned of app. Capacity led's: 2
* At this point, I would sporadically turn on the device, check the battery level, and turn it off*
0:43 34%
1:10 44%
1:20 49% * Capacity led's: 1
1:30 54%
1:35 59%
2:00 59% * Capacity led's: 0 Charging stopped automatically.

---Update: Dropping this from a 3-star review to a 2-star review.
After fully charging the portable charger unit (with a portable speaker/charger, not just a cable this time), my second attempt shows that it will not fully charge to 100% in 2-hours as claimed.

I started my second test at 34% battery with a "full" charger (only 2nd time used). After 1 hour, 20 minutes, it's peaked at 63%, and the capacity led is at 1, meaning it will be dying soon.

Too bad, I wished this would work with a full charge, and to give some credit, it does "partly" work. But, don't expect the 100% charge that is falsely claimed. I was hoping to order another one, but now seriously considering if I should just return this one, even though it was only $6. :-/

I'm using an iPhone 4.

---Update: Dropping this to a 1-star review.
After fully charging again, and testing again, it charged from 19% to 69% in 1 hour, 40 minutes. It seems it will never get the 100% charge as promised.

In addition, I had the issue where it wouldn't work at all! After letting it charge overnight, I tried to plug it into my phone and nothing happened. I reinserted it several times, at various angles, etc., and nothing happened. Even pressing the button did nothing. I then set the portable charger on the boombox charger I have and the 4 led's and full led lit up, then immediately pulled it off and tried it and it started charging.

This is not acceptable. You will not be able to do this when you're away from your charging source. In other words, it's unreliable and has a good chance of not working when you need it to!

After owning this only one day, it failed on all tests, so I'm returning it. It's not even worth the $6 given that it won't perform it's function when I need it to, and doesn't deliver the 100% charge as promised.
2727 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2011
First, I bought two of these. I wanted to make sure I would have enough juice for the long plane trip, and subsequent layovers, to Afghanistan. I tested them out a few weeks before I departed and WOW! They worked perfect. I realized that I could have probably gone with just one, but I'm an over-kill, can never be too prepared kind of guy. A few nights later I was on the phone with my girlfriend and, for the ump-teenth time, we got disconnected because her iPhone battery died. Something every iPhone owner is plagued with LOL. Anyway, I immediately went back on Amazon and since I have Prime, her battery was there the next day for an extra four bucks. Definitely worth every cent, because until I deployed and ever since we have never been disconnected because of a dead battery. If it beeps at her, she plugs this in and we can talk for at least another 2 hours that I know of because we did it. Before I wrap this up, for the intended purpose of keeping my iPod charged for the duration of the 20 hour trip to Afghanistan, this should get 6 stars. Between the two backups I have, they charged an iPod Nano and two iPod touches and kept myself and two friends listening to music the entire way. Hope this helps with your decision.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2010
Buy this and do not buy more expensive rechargers. This one does the job quite well and does over one full charge for an iPhone 3GS in about 30 minutes. It is very small and portable.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 5, 2011
1. Very light weight

2. Small

3. High quality feeling(not cheap materials used)

4. Shake it to see the quality how well it was made. It looks pretty strong.

For the price. It is pretty good. Those of you whose batteries won't charge anymore, you guys got the bad ones.

Mine works really perfectly. I bought two.

I did a little test

Real outlet charge time vs. this back up charge time speed

The back up charging time was a little bit slower but not bad at all

iphone 4 with outlet charger went from 13% -> 28%
iphone 4 with back up charger went from 13% -> 23%

not bad at all. just keep this in ur car
dont' buy an expensive one. why waste your money? seriously
let's save some moeny.

since last year I've spent almost 1800 dollars on amazon.

I want to share good reviews to people so that they will know what good stuff they should buy and the seller should get the money because they made pretty good products.

Im writing this review for the people and the seller who made this.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2011
I only rate this a 3, due to one small but important issue... that the mfgr could easily solve... and even charge another $2-3 (aka more profit for them).

The unit works as advertised... has a nice sized battery, is easily charged... as long as one realizes that the standard power plug configuration is UPSIDE-DOWN. (I needed my reading glasses to see this the 1st time ;-)

BUT... and this is a big BUT... since most iPhone users have some kind of protective shell, this unit's plug is NOT sticking out far enough to clear the typical shell plug opening... and it appears that the unit is not working as advertised.

Having seen some of the critiques on, I was beginning to wonder if I had received a faulty unit, when I did my first attempt at recharging my phone. The LED's on the unit lit up, so I assumed that it had connected fully w/ the iPhone (mine's a 4).

No charge... even after an hour.

So, typical for me, I started analyzing the failure. (Being an engineer is both a boon & a bane)

Finally, after taking off the iPhone4 shell, the unit would fully mate w/ the iPhone... and charging began.

This unit needs a connector that sticks out further (maybe 2-3mm), and if necessary for mechanical support (and standard parts), a plastic collar that is NO LARGER than that supplied by Apple on their charger.

So... I have to go find a cheap extender (so far no luck)... or pull off the shell when I need the extra power.

If Stichway would have done a bit more testing, they'd have found this, and given us a superior design & fabulous backup power device... at an attractive price.
on January 1, 2011
Worked ok for a couple of weeks then, after a complete discharge, died! Would not recharge, would not even allow pass through charging. Bought from Zeetron through Amazon. Amazon has promised a refund. Interesting to note that price has gone up ~75% since I bought it so my refund won't cover the price of replacement.
on November 17, 2010
This is excellent! I just got it today and I decided to test it so I plugged it into my iPhone, and about an hour later it was fully charged! I am now charging the Battery for later use on the long ride home. I have both an iPod touch 2g and an iPhone 4g. It works great for both! I am completely satisfied.
on August 20, 2010
Bought two of this for my son and daughter who are always running out of batteries in either their iPhones or iPods. Both say its good, but it doesn't fit when they have the otter-shell in the iPhone, so they have to remove the shell to use it. It would be great if it came with an extension adapter that made it possible to connect it to the iPhone when it has a cover.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse