Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Learn more

on November 8, 2006
The stands are pretty nice given its price. Although it's not made from solid wood, the stands are very sturdy and can hold surround speakers that are quite large. I'm using them to hold up Klipsch RS-7 speakers, which are 22" wide, and the stands do not wobble or tilt. I only dislike the design of the gap between the two vertical panels which does not adequately hide speaker wire very well. Thicker speaker wire likes to push against the front of the unit where the gap is. I ended up taping the wire to the back panel. For those that are interested, each box contains TWO stands (one pair). I made the mistake of buying two boxes since I couldn't find any information on how many each box contained.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 21, 2010
I read most of the reviews on this set of speaker stands and I almost didn't buy them because of the cracking problem that so many reviewers had when they assembled the stands. I did an exhaustive search for other speaker stands, but I couldn't find anything comparable for anywhere close to the price for the Sanus stands. So I decided to take a chance and buy these.

I'm so glad I did. They work great. They even look decent.

As other reviewers said, the holes in the top plate and the base for the speaker wire are a joke, but I didn't need to use them. It looks just fine anyway.

In order to avoid the cracking problem, I decided to modify the assembly by using a different set of screws. From all the reviews that complained about cracking, it sounded to me like the supplied screws are just too big. So, I just used shorter and thinner screws (just by a little bit). I had no problems whatsoever with the assembly using the smaller screws. Even with the smaller screws, the stand is sturdy and solid. No issues.

Here's the specs on the screws that I used: Textron Drywall Screws, Steel Black Phosphorous, Phillips Bugle Head, Coarse. No. 6 X 1-1/4". Textron #30554.

These screws look just like the screws supplied by Sanus, but as I said, they're just a tad shorter and thinner.

Give it a try!

Update - 12/30/2010

The first pair of stands worked out so well that I bought another pair. I used the smaller screws on these too, and they worked great again. I'm very pleased with these stands.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Briefly:
--------
I ordered these stands to hold a pair of satellite speakers on a 7.1 setup and I am currently using them but the few design flaws have created major problems and, while I am using them now, I would not order them today, knowing what I know now.

But, here it is, what I hope is an objective review.

Packaging:
----------
They were delivered in a nice box. All parts were packed tight and secure with all wooden panels well protected against scratches.

Assembly:
---------
It shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes. It basically consists on attaching the 2 pillars to the base and then adding the top to the assembly. It's 8 screws per stand. A Phillips screwdriver is needed.

I was impressed how everything fit perfectly. There were no chips, cracks or scratches.

Looks:
------
These are surprisingly good-looking if black finish is what you need. To the extent that you can avoid chipping on scratching them, they don't look 'cheap' at all.

The bottom place allows for the speaker wire to come from underneath but there's no groove so, if you are placing the stand on a hard floor, it would destabilize it but carpets should be okay. Plastic wire covers will hide the wires if anyone would ever look 'behind' the speaker.

Design Flaws:
-------------

* BASE*
There is no way you can hide the wire by running it under the base because there is no groove carved in the base for that purpose. If the stand sits on a flat, hard surface such as a wood floor running a wire underneath would destabilize the stand. If the stand sits on a carpet you MIGHT be able to squeeze a thin wire under, if you are using the provided spikes.

* WIRE PATH *
Assuming that you found a way to run the wire under the base, you will find that it's impossible to pass it through the speaker platform hole, unless it's a very thin wire. It was impossible to run a 16 gauge speaker wire through that hole.

* SPEAKER PLATFORM *
If you wire was thin enough to pass through the wall, you will have to deal with the hole being in the center of the platform. The only way you can have the wire going through that hole without destabilizing the speaker is by placing the speaker on its back, facing the ceiling or, if the speakers are small enough, place them on the front half of the platform, possibly destabilizing the stand.

I am currently using these stands in the same way I'd be using a stool to hold the speakers. The wire does not go underneath the base and it does not pass through the holes in the base or the speaker platform. There are no mounting options but I manage to keep the speaker in place with a little Velcro - it works.

Overall:
--------
Even though the packaging is tight, the assembly is easy and the materials appear to be of good quality I would not order stands of this design again for the reasons I stated above. Therefore, a 2-star rating is warranted because in Amazon's rating system 3 stars mean 'I like it' and I don't.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 16, 2010
I bought these stands to replace the cinder blocks I had been using because I wanted stands a little taller than a block-and-a-half, plus I thought they'd look a little less industrial.
I've read all the reviews of these stands, so I'll try to address some issues other folks have had and offer suggestions.
Assembly:
I had no trouble putting these stands together--no splitting of wood--everything went together like it was supposed to.
But, I'd suggest getting both screws started first, then tightening each equally (like tightening lug nuts on your car). I'd say using a power driver would be a no-no--a screw driver was all I needed.
Stability:
I was a little worried these might be a little tipsy, since my Hsu HB-1 Mk II speakers only weigh 12 pounds. I had planned on using 2 paving bricks wrapped in fabric to weight down each stand to provide more mass, but after a couple of days of the plastic spikes "settling in" to the carpet, this wasn't necessary.
I'd suggest not using the little rubber feet on the top plate, but instead 4 small squares of Handi-Tak (2 or 3 bucks at Wal-Mart or Staples)for better isolation, plus this stuff really holds your speaker to the stand.
Cable management:
A total joke if you're trying to use the itty-bitty holes drilled into the top and bottom plate. Since I use 12-gauge cable, this definitely wasn't an option. But since the plastic strip in back doesn't fit tight up-and-down, it leaves enough room to route your cables under the gap at the bottom and out over the gap at the top of the strip--then just snap in the strip and you're done.
I also was not overly impressed with the 17-language instruction manual, but since there are only 5 pieces in each stand to assemble, this wasn't a major issue.
Overall, I'm very satisfied with these stands
No, they're not made of real wood. Yes, they're somewhat light-weight, but for the price, I would recommend these stands.
on December 21, 2006
These are real good value stands. I have slightly heavier than recommended speakers on them and they are solid enough for me. Cable holes dont really allow for larger base speakers as the speaker covers the hole. Assembles easily. Spikes are plastic and not particularly strong but fair for this level of product. Makes a real improvement to sound quality and limits bass transfer through the floor so I'm happy with these.
on September 28, 2010
Started the screws into the pillars and cracks started forming. Once the screws were completely seated, the cracks ran completely through the pillar. Looked at the second stand and found a crack ready to split even before installing a screw. Returned these immediately and will not take another set.
review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 31, 2009
I was looking for simple, decent looking and cheap stands for speakers in my bedroom. This is it....sure they are made of cheap materials but fitting is perfect and they look quite good once assembled. To prevent panels from cracking (as mentioned in many other reviews) while putting it together, i re drilled the little holes on the panels with 1/8 drill bit so they wouldn't be tight to a point where it will crack while assembling like it happened to many others on here. Make sure to keep that screw gun dead straight while drilling and then Your screwdriver while assembling. In addition as i was putting it together i used wood glue to make sure everything will stay in place for good. With material this cheap You won't take it apart anyway just like with Ikea furniture LOL. Once You put it together that's it, so i figured using a glue will definitely help. Came out perfect and to me quality of these stands is great for that price. In my case 5 stars.
Hope it helps.
on December 9, 2011
Fortunately I read the Amazon reviews of this product before I assembled it, or else I certainly would have broken these speaker stands.

I saw all the critical feedback about the cracks in the wood, and I adopted this mentality when assembling it: "I will break this darn thing, so lets assemble it so I can decrease the total damage". Take everything slowly and gently when assembling it, and you're golden. I managed to put mine together without any cracks in the "wood", but I sure had some scares.

Tip: while assembling, if you hear any sort of "split" noise, STOP, slowly back the screw out, and then try again. It should go in again without making a noise, and without a crack. You WILL hear this noise, so take this advice.

After this ridiculous assembly process, I really do appreciate the stands. They look great, and will do a good job of holding the speakers that I ordered.

My only other sour feeling is that these stands don't really include any grips of any kind, even though it is advertised. I mean, it does include eight little feet to rest the speakers on, but I'm not going to use those. I'd say buy one of those kitchen non-slip pads, and cut it to size, so your speaker is in full contact with the base of the stand. That way your speaker is supported by the full surface area of the stand, and not the one square inch that those feet provide.

Finally, if you're putting it on tile or wood floor, definitely buy felt feet, because the product only includes spikes for feet for carpet.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 15, 2012
These are reasonably priced among speaker stands, which is how I came to buy a pair. I think they're all a bit too spendy for what they are, actually, including these, but they seemed to be my best option at the low end of the price range.

They're fine, even attractive, and seem to offer good utility. I've sat big Boston Acoustic HD8s on them before scaling down to Polk TSi100s and then to a pair of B&W DM303s.

Whatever material they're made of (my guess: compressed bran flakes) is waaaaaay brittle, however. When I assembled these, I missed a pre-drilled hole on one of the vertical pieces and drove a screw about 1/8" into the material. The vertical piece cracked about 6" straight down the side! They seemed sturdy enough after assembling them, and once I considered the hassle of sending these back, I decided I could live with the crack. Buyer beware.

The carpet spikes are cheap plastic. Probably better than nothing, but only slightly.
review image review image
on November 9, 2006
These are great speaker stands. I sprayed mine with polyurethane like another buyer suggested. Worked great. Easy to assemble. The only problem I ran into is that my speaker wire is so big (14 gauge) that it won't fit in the pre-drilled hole on the top of stand. Not a big deal. It's hidden most of the way up the stand in the back. Sanus makes very good stands!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...