Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 12, 2012 6:22:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 6:24:15 AM PDT
Watcher says:
Early on a Saturday morn, how's it goin'?

Transferring the entire series of The Wire to my external HDD. Ooooh the good times I'll have rewatching that epic show! AND it'll be accessible from my PS3! Like I said a while ago, I'm making my own damn Netflix Instant Streaming. :D

Posted on May 12, 2012 6:58:45 AM PDT
skillet says:
Hey, Watcher. What do you use, DVDFab to convert?

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 7:12:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 7:42:06 AM PDT
Watcher says:
What up, skillet!

Normally, yes, I use DVDFab to convert; but for this particular series, since the encryption was already bypassed, I was using VOB2MPG v3.0 Pro to convert the VOB files into MPG files to play effortlessly on the PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 7:48:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 7:49:29 AM PDT
skillet says:
I take it then that the conversion is vob to mp4, h.264? Is this the same format for ipads as well? Thanks, Watcher!

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 8:06:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 10:50:27 AM PDT
Watcher says:
Nope, it's just VOB to MPEG or MPG. I find MP4 is better for iPhone/iPad/iPod movies than it is for DVD to the PS3. Plus MPGs are basically VOBs without a specific container, I believe it's called, since MPGs are primarily audio and video streams whereas VOBs can contain menus, pictures, etc. as well as MPGs. Depending on what is in that VOB, it may or may not play correctly when selected directly. It's meant to be played in the DVD-Video format. Most of them have extraneous crap that throws off the movie timing when played directly but the program I have strips the unnecessary information like menus and such and pretty much leaves the MPGs untouched.

Throughout the years I've watched MP4s and MPGs made from DVDs, and MPGs are clearly better for me watching them via the PS3 because it's uncompressed and quicker to process. The audio is why I like it the most since MP4 is mostly in 2 channel. AVI is good for a compressed format that retains 5.1, too, but it takes a longer to convert.

But I digress...

Posted on May 12, 2012 9:57:05 AM PDT
Phil™ says:
I figured this thread was made by some high school kid who was taking the SAT test. Was wondering who in here was in high school lol.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 10:02:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 10:02:34 AM PDT
Watcher says:
Yo, Phil... did you finally buy that LED 3D HDTV?

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 10:18:46 AM PDT
skillet says:
Hmm, I thought mp4, specifically h.264, is better than mpeg. But... if I want one format that would work for ps3, vita and ipad, the mp4 is the way to go, correct?

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 10:22:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 10:39:53 AM PDT
Watcher says:
Yes, if you want them to be cross functional, MP4 is the way to go. And don't get me wrong, I think MP4 is one of THE best compression formats to choose. I just have to make clear that I prefer MPG over MP4 only for playing via my PS3 due to how quickly it converts. Also, there are some interlaced movies that don't play back that well in MP4 but they seem to work better in MPG. But I think that's due primarily to the source video.

Oops! It seems as if I got something mixed up because MP4 format can retain 5.1 audio. Just not HD audio like DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD. For that you need MTS, M2TS or MKV. I had to update my previous post...

Posted on May 12, 2012 11:56:58 AM PDT
skillet says:
How much for dvdfab? Lifetime upgrades?

Posted on May 12, 2012 12:54:56 PM PDT
Rab says:
Hey videophiles! I just had to throw it in there since that's the talk for Saturday.

I always just seem to go with MP4, bc my ps3 and many of my portable players can take it. I also always stream stuff to my Kindle Fire, so I never think about what format is the best for it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 1:14:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 1:16:17 PM PDT
Watcher says:
It's pretty expensive depending on what aspect of the program you want, i.e., DVD Copy, DVD Ripper, Blu-ray Copy, Blu-ray Ripper, Blu-ray 3D Ripper, 2D and 3D Converter, Video Converter, Blu-ray to DVD Converter, etc., etc. And if you want to know the difference between them, which there is... look at www.dvdfab.com where it tells you everything you want to know. They used to sell complete packages that were good for lifetime updates but they stopped that. The Lifetime packages they offer now are only free updates with whatever you bought, not if they come out with new products. What sucks is their blu-ray copy products are separate from their DVD copy stuff as well as 3D.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 1:17:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 2:08:55 PM PDT
Watcher says:
Like I said, MP4 is great, it's just MPG is faster to convert because there is no compression from a DVD if you have the space, HDD-wise. And actually, I'm about to convert a DVD to MPG vs MP4 to play on the PS3 and see the difference because it's been a long time since I've done a comparison. better H.264 codecs may have been released since I last did it.

The more I think about it, the reason I probably choose MPG over MP4 is the TIME it takes to process. But since I have a much, much faster computer than when I last tested it, it should make a difference. The other factor involved is MPG is uncompressed therefore it's like archiving my DVDs. The same thing with M2TS in regards to Blu-ray. But being that I'm converting the movies to my HDD to play on my HDTV through my computer, I keep the Blu-ray file structure as it is on the disc so there is no loss, no compression and my HD audio tracks still sound phenomenal due to them being untouched.

Posted on May 12, 2012 2:42:21 PM PDT
Rab says:
Nice!

Well on gaming news, I'm playing The Witcher 2 right now. I just wish I was playing it on my desktop at home. My laptop, is good enough to play it, but there is a slight lag to it. Not to mention I can only have it on medium settings :(.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 2:52:38 PM PDT
Watcher says:
I was just reading up on The Witcher 2 reviews, rabbit.

Posted on May 12, 2012 3:30:11 PM PDT
J. Pardee says:
Too bad The Witcher isn't on the PS3. It looks fun but if I bought the PC version I won't ever play it.

My gaming news today is that I am recently obsessed with PixelJunk Shooter. I already got to world 2 but went back to collect everything in the first world.

If anyone hasn't bought the PixelJunk games yet, DO EET! This game is completely worth the $1 I paid for it.

Posted on May 12, 2012 3:36:01 PM PDT
Rab says:
Haha it's a lot of fun Watcher!

Posted on May 12, 2012 3:49:41 PM PDT
skillet says:
Pardee, I've been out of town. PixelJunk Shooter for $1; is that the Plus special this week?

Rabbit, what's ":
(."

It is destined that a Watcher is not a Witcher.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 4:02:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 4:02:51 PM PDT
J. Pardee says:
Skillet, the sale is for everyone. PixelJunk is releasing 4 AM next week so they are having a sale on everything.

PJ Eden, Racers, and Monsters can be bought in a bundle for $2 or each separate for $1.
PJ Shooter is $1
PJ Shooter 2 and Side Scoller are both $5

I think the sale only lasts until this Tuesday.

Posted on May 12, 2012 4:11:43 PM PDT
Rab says:
Oh it was just a :( with a . to end the sentence. I guess I should have separated the 2 better.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 4:27:51 PM PDT
Watcher says:
A :(. is a sad guy with a booty chin.

Posted on May 12, 2012 4:42:53 PM PDT
Rab says:
Wait what about this :(3

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 4:57:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 5:10:49 PM PDT
Watcher says:
Nice!

But to get back to MP4 or MPG (MPEG-2 to be exact) on the PS3, I've been converting different settings of MP4 files from an interlaced DVD movie I have, and I have a lot of interlaced video. And that's the deciding factor right there! MP4 does absolutely horrible with interlaced video which is now why I remember why I chose MPG over it instead. It's not a good thing looking at video with horizontal interlaced lines on it. It's not an issue with movies made in the last 10 years or so that haven't been professionally deinterlaced but I have a lot of them that aren't and nothing plays them better than converting them to MPG. For everything else, if you have to compress your video source, MP4 is clearly the winner picture-wise.

And depending on what program you use to convert it to MP4, sometimes fast forwarding and rewinding won't be as glitch free as you'd expect it to be. I always find a lot of artifacts appearing in the video when I try to search forward or backward on the PS3. Oh, and conversion may take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or more depending on the power of your computer's processor. (Video conversion is where you really see what your computer is made of!) Contrast these times with 30-45 seconds to strip a DVD file to make it an MPG!

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 12:31:11 PM PDT
Phil™ says:
Did not buy yet. Probably spent about 10 hours looking already. Theres a 55 inch sony led out there that has 240hz, local dimming, for $1550. Would have bought if I hadn't seen that TigerDirect just had a sale on that exact tv a week ago for $1300 new.

Still really want the UN55D8000, but Im starting to give up on that dream given the price. My local BB had an open box one for $1800, which is still high. Want to haggle, but doubt they'd accept $1500.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:42:50 PM PDT
Watcher says:
If all else fails, Black Friday will surely redeem you.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  May 12, 2012
Latest post:  May 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
PlayStation 3, 20GB
PlayStation 3, 20GB by Sony (PlayStation 3)
3.4 out of 5 stars (101)