Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

Capacity: 2.5 inch HDD SATA SILVERChange

on September 29, 2009
I bought this enclosure to recover data from a laptop. Installation is easy. The interface adapter from the old laptop hard drive has to be removed before connecting to the circuit board. I was able to copy the data from the hard drive once the enclosure was plugged in. There was no attempt to mount the hard drive on the enclosure with the two small screws. Will this enclosure last? I have no idea and it doesn't matter. All I know is that I paid $7.80 for this enclosure and it worked well enough to recover data from a dead laptop. The product gets a five star rating for a data recovery job accomplished.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2008
Bought this enclosure to use an 80GB Sata HDD that I replaced. The port works fine, and as far as I can tell, temperature is not terrible. The product did not include, however, the small screws that are supposed to go into the top of the mount. Without these, the HDD can just slide out of the aluminum casing. It is not a show stopper, since a piece of electrical tape works just fine, it is just that the product should come with everything needed to use it properly. You get what you pay for...
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 20, 2009
...but that is about it. You are getting a lot of bang for your buck with this enclosure, small screwdriver, pleather slip case, USB cable with an extra USB connector to provide additional power to your drive. Quite simply, this enclosure works, but please be forewarned that you are getting what you pay for. The drive does slightly rattle inside the case, and the provided screwdriver is insufficient at getting the tiny screws into the unit, and the lettering painted to the outside of the case is tacky to the touch and has already slightly smeared. I have no regrets; I wanted an enclosure and didn't want to pay a lot of money for it, and I got exactly what I needed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2010
I bought two of these to upgrade two different laptops to SSD and use their original drive as an external.
Both Enclosures failed miserably. I tried the onboard usb 2.0 ports on 6 different laptops and 2 different (core 2 and core i5) desktops and although it recognizes the drive you can't format or use the drive in the enclosure. Even a quick format fails. This is on 3 different 2.5" drives tested. Also tried using a Vantec USB 3.0 Powered Hub and Asus NEC USB 3.0 card, didn't make any difference.

Looking at the cable system I decided to flip the usb cable around, using the 2 sided end on the drive, and it works! Drive is recognized, formats, and can write to the drive. So if you are having troubles, connect the end with the two cables to the drive, then connect the short cable to a usb port and reach the long cable length around back to another usb port.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2009
The device continuously removes itself from its connection with the computer. It seems like it doesnt generate enough power via its usb connections. Every task involving opening/ editing the contents of a folder results the same way. PFFFFFFFFFFghhhhhh.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2011
I bought 5 of these and everyone of them was missing the circuit board that connects the drive. Very strange......
on May 16, 2012
In short, I bought this to recover files from a hard drive in a dead laptop. It worked exactly as I hoped it would. Can't beat that for just over five dollars.

Several years ago I ordered pretty much this exact same item (except it was IDE for an older laptop drive instead of SATA) and it took three weeks to come from China. This time it was an item fulfilled by Amazon, so it got here in three days. This thing came with more than enough parts (contrary to the current most popular review) and does exactly what it says on the tin. Both drives are 5400 RPM laptop drives and this is USB 2.0 so it's not the fastest transfer in the world (20 MB/s if I'm lucky), but it works well enough for me. My IDE version could get pretty hot with extended use, but I haven't noticed much of a heat problem with this item. However I haven't used this too extensively yet.
on July 15, 2011
I had gotten this enclosure to recover some old data on my MacBook harddrive. The harddrive *barely* fit into the enclosure. I couldn't place the back piece on, nor could I use the screws to secure it. I was able to get my data off of the harddrive, then I got too confident in the enclosure. Immediately after I decided to use this as an external harddrive and transferred all of my photos from my MacBook Pro, it stopped working. It lights up red and I can hear the harddrive spinning, but no computer will recognize that it is connected. Upon inspection, I also found that the glue holding the plastic front piece to the USB circuitry had melted and the two pieces had separated. I now have a slightly more expensive one on the way and I only hope it did not ruin my harddrive in the process.
on March 25, 2010
I recently upgraded my laptop from an 80gig to a 250gig drive. This gave me a perfectly good 80gig drive with nothing to do so I thought it would be neat to by a case for it. Within a few minutes of getting the case I had it assembled and my Vista saw it with no problem. I started to delete the files I no longer wanted when everything just froze up on me. The drive is now toast and I don't know if it was just a coincidence or a bad enclosure. The one thing I do know is that the drive worked fine in my laptop or desk top but it now locks up both during the drive detection portion of the boot process. At least the enclosure was low cost and I'm not going to go through the bother of returning it but I don't trust it and will chuck it along with my now bad drive. Was it a bad drive or did the enclosure ruin the drive? Who really knows but I'm not about to plug another drive into it to find out for certain. Because I don't know if it was the enclosure I have to rate it as one star and tell my tale so that at least others can decide if they want to get one or not.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2011
The only reason this gets more than one star is because it's just so darn cheap. For less than $6, I've got a hard drive enclosure.

The enclosure itself though is pretty crappy. It's an adapter board with a metal shell; The shell is slightly larger than a 2.5" drive, and there's nothing inside the shell to stabilize the drive. What that means is that when you attach the adapter, slide it into the case, and attach the screws- you can shake the darn thing and hear the drive inside tinking against the shell.

Many decent enclosures (~$15) that I've used have had ways to steady the drive inside. This case will work fine if it'll sit on a shelf and not be expected to travel- but if you want something durable to carry with you, steer well clear.

The holes for the screws are only partially bored, or at least that was the case on my unit. I had to use a larger size 0 driver to really "drill" the screws the rest of the way in.

So.. for the price, what can you expect? It's a piece of junk, but it works. Just don't expect it to last or the drive to survive long if you intend to carry it around in your bag.