SANOXY® SATA 2nd HDD caddy for 12.7mm Universal CD/DVD-ROM
Price:$9.22 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 18, 2012
Verified Purchase
This caddy is terrific. It is strong enough without overbuilding and lightweight enough to give as needed. I read all the tips but they were scattered, and none had the use for the included four drive mount screws, which stymied me for my first try. I have a new SSD 128GB Crucial M4 that I loaded the laptops factory restore on last April, and then once booted I installed the Windows 8 preview and have been playing with it ever since. I left Windows 7 on the old mechanical 500GB hard drive, which until now has only been put in service occasionally to update Windows. And then I replaced the SSD with Windows 8. Now that I know I am upgrading to Windows 8 in a couple of weeks I will have to format it and start from scratch as you cannot have two C: boot drives in the same computer. Rather than hassle with all the niggles that can happen I simply burned an image of the Windows 7 drive and image, in case, for any reason I want to go back, and then formatted the drive as D drive in the computer so I can put data on it as I install my programs on a fresh install of Windows 8. I have several other computers and used the laptop as a test bed so have no data on it that is not on my other computers. You might be installing a blank second drive and if you are and it was an OEM bare drive make sure you Google initializing a new drive so your computer can see it and then you can format it. Others may want to dual boot but I think many will want a fast but smaller SSD to boot and load applications like MS Office on so all runs fast, and then store the data, music, movies, pictures and documents on the mechanical storage drive like I am doing.
Here is how to install it:

1. Remove the battery first and make sure you don't have the power supply plugged in.
2. Open the Optical drive tray using a steel paper clip in the hole in the faceplate (Bezel) to unlock it and it will pop out.
3. Turn the laptop over and find either the screw through the case that holds the drive in place or remove the bottom cover that is about where the back of the drive would be.
4. Once you have located the screw remove it and pull the drawer all the way out and pull the drive out wiggling a bit because the SATA connector will hold it a bit firmly.
5. Check the generic drive caddy and if your original drive bezel was curved and thicker the flat one on the caddy will not work. Remove the one on the caddy if it is different.
6. The bracket that the screw went through to hold it in place that you removed in step 4 will have two screws holding it in place. Remember how it was oriented or take a pic and remove it.
7. There are two holes on the same place on the caddy, using the screws install the bracket on the caddy from your optical drive the same as it was on the optical drive.
8. If the bezel on your optical drive was different, and you removed the one on the caddy, do not try to remove the bezel from your optical drive yet. More later.
9. Install the hard drive mounting screws even though you don't see where they could go. Screw them all the way in but not tight or snugged just touching.
10. Drop the drive in so the SATA connectors are lined up. The 4 mounting screws will be behind the plastic tabs until you slide the drive forward to connect the SATA connectors.
11. The screws are now under the plastic tabs and keep the drive secure.in one direction.
12. Take the plastic spacer and note that when the drive is slid into the connectors there is enough room for that plastic spacer to fit to keep it from sliding back and out. It has a slot cut into it that goes over the tab in the back so align the tab with the tab in the back of the caddy and it will fill that space enough without being tight.
13. Now slide the caddy which already has the bracket to hold it into the laptop, and the hard drive installed, and watching for the bracket from the bottom to secure it to the laptop wiggle it in gently until it seats.
14. Now install the screw into the bracket.
15. Re-install the battery and boot the computer.
16. Using Windows explorer see if the drive can be found and it reads the files. If so you are almost done.
17. If the boot drive is new, like my 128GB SSD running Windows 8, and the drive in the caddy is the old boot drive with Windows 7 or whatever version on it, you have to format it to use it for storage to the main drive.

Now about the bezel or faceplate. On my Toshiba L745 using a Toshiba Samsung TS-L633 optical drive with a thicker and angled bezel, I had to remove the flat faceplate that came with this. Now I broke that getting it off but the caddy was fine. I spent a minute checking my bezel on the old drive but am afraid it will break so I decided to just use it with the bezel missing, as that is fine, until I can find a computer repair place with a used unbroken replacement bezel. The replacement bezel if not broken will snap right in but likely not come back off. I don't need to use the DVD drive again as I have an external DVD burner that was for my Netbook, which I still have. But when I sell this one I will likely want to use the caddy/SSD/8GB of SODIMM RAM on my next one and do not want to damage the optical drive and bezel so it looks and performs as new. At that point I put the 500GB mechanical back in place and restore it with the factory restore disks I created when new a few months ago.

Anyway I am off to find a used OK looking bezel that even if broken I can glue in to make it look factory. If I can't find it that is OK too.

I can't recommend this enough. It is so simple that the screws to go under the tabs and the pilot holes to accommodate the bracket screws can confuse a tech who has been doing this for decades but never engineered a caddy for this.

I hope this helps folks who did not figure out the mounting screws and claim their hard drive is rattling inside as they keep it snug without binding. Also to remind folks that their optical drive bezel has to not be broken for use on the optical drive. Any bezel that is close can be glued to the front of the caddy. The bezel on the caddy is nonfunctional anyway and will slide out with the caddy.

Well done.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 26, 2013
Verified Purchase
this is a very well made unit. My HDD fits snugly inside. My laptop recognized the HDD immediately. I used the faceplate from my laptop since it is rounded on the bottom not a universal flat one (plus I had no choice since the caddy does not come with a faceplate..luckily the external enclosure I purchased did have a flat universal face plate). The caddy fits very snug inside my laptop, a Lenovo G780, with no play whatsoever. I reused the securing tab from the DVD and attached it to this caddy in order to secure it to my laptop. There are no instructions at all.

The only cons is that the unit does NOT come with screws (contrary to the picture in the item listing). I happen to have a screw with a flat head (rounded head screws did not work for me since the slot opening of my laptop is just big enough to hold the caddy. The unit does come with one screw "built into" the unit on one side, but it is not enough to hold the HDD securely in place. Also, there are only 2 holes for screws not 4. But this seems to be enough to hold it securely in place.

Overall I am very satisfied with this purchase. Only 4 stars because of a lack of screws. Keep in mind this unit fits only inside 12.7mm height slots and holds no bigger than 9.5mm height HDD's.
on March 1, 2013
Verified Purchase
Perfect fit for my HP dv5. Drive face from my optical drive attached without issue. Looks stock but added 750GB HDD in place of my optical drive. Good little investment.
review image review image review image
on November 15, 2012
Verified Purchase
Works perfect with a SSD on the Apple iMac "Core 2 Duo" 3.06 24-Inch (Early 2009)
Apple Model No: A1225 (EMC 2267) Model ID: iMac9,1

Very recommended!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 12, 2012
Verified Purchase
It is quoted as "universal" caddy, though with some laptops (especially of ASUS and HP brand) it requires a bit of tinkering to make it work fine in the existing drive bay and fit into the bay door plastic element. The metal used in the drive is very flimsy and a light touch deforms it.
To remove the front plastic panel you need to unscrew the metal plate on the caddy. Not sure why the screw would be hidden under the sticker.
There were no screws attached in my unit.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 6, 2011
Verified Purchase
I just received my "NEW SATA 2nd HDD caddy for 12.7mm Universal CD/DVD-ROM" from Amazon (the seller was "accessoryon"). Ordered June 18 arrived (a week or two early) July 6 from China to USA. I wanted to replace my spinning disk it with an 80 Gb SSD.

Installing the HD into the adapter is pretty straight forward. You have to use a bracket that must be removed from the CD/DVD Drive. The holes in the adapter need to be threaded with the bracket screws (Push real hard while screwing them in).

Instructions for installing the HD into the bracket are printed on the adapter.

4 mounting screws are provided, they are to be screwed into the sides of the HD. A clip must be (carefully) pried out of the adapter. Adjust the screws to align the HD in the adapter. Slide it onto the connector and snap the clip back in place.

The front plastic bezel is a little too long for my Asus, I trimmed it to fit using a side cutters.

I put everything back together and fired up the laptop, It found the HD and all is good.

This is a great price (with free shipping) the adapter works as advertised and it got here earlier than I expected.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 20, 2012
Verified Purchase
This thing works great! Well worth it to use as a backup and then put in a nice SSD as your primary
Verified Purchase
Completely satisfied. I have a lot of time using laptops as desktop CPU, connecting them all peripherals. And if I need to move, I have the intrinsic mobility of a laptop. I needed to replace my current CPU a Dell Inspiron 6400. I chose a ASUS N56VJ-WH71 15.6" Laptop looking for a good processor, and the ability to increase the ram memory, up to 16 gb ... I placed this adapter in place of the optical drive to place the hard drive that originally brings. While I installed an SSD and the result is amazing. Using Acronis Home to clone the hard drive, Windows 8 really does fly with this configuration ... This device brings its screws and allowed me putting on the front piece original optical drive in the laptop. For the price I receive more than I expected. Yes .. I recommend it!
on July 24, 2014
Verified Purchase
My laptop came with a DVD rewritable drive that I wanted to convert into a hard drive slot. This allows me to do that, but has no feature that will allow the caddy to lock in to my laptop. The screws that came with the caddy were a bit too short to use with the locking loop from my DVD drive, so I'm not using the caddy until I can get a longer screw. Also note that if you want this thing to look like it came with your laptop from the factory, you'll need to remove the face plate from the DVD drive and install it on the caddy.
on December 27, 2012
Verified Purchase
This was a very affordable HDD caddy that fit nicely in to my ASUS N56V laptop. The materials used seem fragile (easily bent) but I believe they help reduce the weight and besides, the laptop will provide ample structural support for the caddy once it is installed. The product worked exactly like I had hoped and I was even able to re-attach the original optical drive cover so it looks identical from the outside. All said, I couldn't be happier with this purchase.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations