5.0 out of 5 stars Great little sub
Published on August 26, 2012 by Chupathingy

1.0 out of 5 stars Very very very very disappointed. Junk
Played this thing for around 1 hr in my car and this thing started smoking and made farting noise. Very dissapointed got many good saying about alpine but not anymore. If you like blow your money like how you blow a subwoofer go buy it but I don't reccomemd it!
Published on August 16, 2012 by Alton N

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little sub, August 26, 2012
This review is from: SBR-S83V - Alpine 8" Single Ported Enclosure Loaded with a Type-R Subwoofer (Electronics)
I have 2 of these in the spare tire well of a 2013 Mazda CX-5 hidden under the rear floor. It's like these were made to fit there, I get great sound and keep all my trunk space. In case of flats I have a small compressor and tire plugs with me. Back to the sub, I have 2 of them running paralell on a Polk PA D5000.5 subwoofer channel at 1ohm the amp puts out 500w so I'm running 250w each with the subsonic filter around 28hz. They sound great down to about 28hz but will bottom out at higher volumes below that. Before these I had a MB Quart 12" in a sealed box and these are just as loud but have better SQ. If you want people to hear you 2 blocks away go with something bigger but if you want a small stealthy subwoofer that doesn't take up your entire trunk this one is awesome. Build quality is great and I have had zero problems from them so far. They sound great with all types of music, especially fast rock music (Yes they keep up with double kick drums). Source is from the OEM radio running through an Audiocontrol LC6i then to the amp and it sounds clean with focal components in the front and coaxes in the rear.

5.0 out of 5 stars alpine 8 inch type r with enclosure, August 6, 2012
Holy Sh&t balls! For such a small package this thing really fills in the low end and brings some serious punch! I have one hooked up in the back of a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. It takes up virtually no space (I have it wrapped up in a black pillow case as I am paranoid of people seeing it). I was hesitant that I would not hear much of a difference due to it being so small. But seriously, this thing has really impressed! Blends perfectly with my polk mm6501 components and brings the low end i had been missing. excellent purchase for those looking for a compact solution. For what I was looking for, I think two would be over-kill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bass for the size, August 16, 2012
Dont expect having the same sound as 2 12s in a 4 cu ft enclosure with this little sub, but it does sound great. I used to have a Kicker CVT 12 and this alpine takes up less space and sounds 10X better. Hits mids really well and lows sound good as long as you dont have it turned up way too loud. Definitely will complement any system really well if you are looking for 3-4X more bass than a good factory system.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for what it is, April 3, 2014
Please remember an 8 is an 8 so don't think your going to put one of these in your ride and get the same sound you used to get from your 12's. With that said if you want to add good sq with low spl this is a great purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, March 16, 2014
For an 8' sub, it sure does have some kick to it. Installed it on a 13' wrx sti and it does its job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice surprise, July 19, 2013
Don (Penacola, Fl) - See all my reviews
I bought this sub to replace my beloved JL Microsub that I've used since 2000. I bought locally for about $250. I have this powered by an Alpine 5 channel amp producing a stated 150w to the sub. All in my 06 Mini Cooper. The rest of the system consists of MB Quartz components up front and Polks in the rear. I am running the stock HU through a line out converter.
This subs kicks butt! I have to say I didn't expect much, so I was pleasantly surprised. For rock and metal it accurately produces tight, clean bass drum with no muddling. Pop and rap sound good and the bass hits hard enough to vibrate the mirrors and your chest. More than deep enough for anything you can throw at it. Size wise, it's small enough that it doesn't take up much space in the boot. Construction is solid and feels of good quality as you would expect from Alpine, and it is substantial enough that it won't slide around even if its not secured.
I've seen reviews around the net bashing this sub as too small or it's just an 8, but I think those people haven't heard this sub properly set up or were expecting it to be like 2 12's. It's not. So if that's what you want, look elsewhere. But if you want good quality bass from a quality built unit for not a lot of money, this should definitely be on your list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Size + Sound, March 31, 2013
My goal for my audio system was to retain my trunk space as much as possible. The 8' enclosed subwoofer was the perfect solution. It only takes up the corner of my trunk and does not stick out that much. I can easily take it out and in as I please as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars I say YES. Great price very nice speaker!, December 27, 2012
Great review with a 500 watt amp in a small car great little sub! :D This is worth the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, October 20, 2012
This product is very nice looking and very great sounding. You are not going to loosen all the bolts in your car but you will still feel the bass. Very clean crisp sound. Very good product would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars smooth as butter, November 22, 2013
The seller was awesome the product exceeds my expectations and thos solve everything for me. I go for high quality sound and well this sub does the job takes little to no space and well I only have 250rms watts going to it and I still have it turned down just down right amazing power and bass. If You are looking for a space saver and beats that massage the back this is it smooth as butter.