Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon July 18, 2011
I really love electronic/dance music, but it's rare that I hear something in that genre that really blows me away. Sbtrkt is the first artist in a while to really turn me on.

People keep calling this "dubstep". I have no idea what that means, so maybe I'm getting old and out of touch. If anything, this album reminds me of vintage Massive Attack ... where hypnotic, minimalist production is paired with soulful vocalists (as well as the occasional track with no vocals at all). Equal parts sexy and trippy, it's the kind of album that could be just as useful in the bedroom as it is in the club.
on August 5, 2013
Unique beats and rhythms. I'm not sure what genre I could place them in. They are sort of in a class by themselves, like Bjork or Morrissey. Some of their tracks feature Little Dragon & Sampha - which are amazing. The flavors range from trip-hip-hop newavo jazz to sultry sexy dance club beats.

Very very good album.
on October 31, 2013
SBTRKT (pronounced Subtract) is an incredible band. They make incredible music and this CD is just amazing. I have the Vinyl LP and a free digital copy that Amazon provided for me using their Auto-Rip program.

The songs are an eclectic mix yet they go so well together as a while album. I wish I could see SBTRKT live because I hear they put on an amazing show. This album has a few different Vocalist such as the lead singer from Little Dragon and Sampha. Each adding something specials to each song.

I listen to this on my way to work and while working out. I couldn't recommend this more!
on January 11, 2012
I used to have a difficult time getting my head around what SBTRKT or other artists like him do to put together a track. I can imagine a band sitting around a studio playing their instruments, but I couldn't generate the same picture of SBTRKT's creative process. At least that was the case until I heard SBTRKT's remix of Radiohead's Lotus Flower on Tkol Rmx 1234567. Here was a song that I love being remade into something similar but distinctly unique. SBTRKT reworked and manipulated Radiohead's recording to create something that reflected the original song but also stands as a distinct creative work.

Listening to Radiohead's version of Lotus Flower and then listening to SBTRKT's remix shattered my conception of a song. We know the words, we know the music, we know our favorite songs like we know our best friends. We are accustomed to thinking about a song as a something that exists as a fixed entity, but songs are malleable constructions that are subject to manipulation, evolution, and change.

With the idea of music's transitory nature in mind, Sbtrkt becomes more than a series of songs to judge. It's more like listening to a snapshot, a sonic moment captured in time. The album is what these songs were at the moment they were recorded. This recorded version is one of a nearly infinite series of solutions to the puzzle of how to combine a collection of sounds into a harmonious whole. Sound, music, our perception of how things sound, is in constant flux. This album is island of order and regularity amid the ambient cacophony of life.

Rather than jamming with his bandmates to come up with the next hit, SBTRKT mixes, cuts, manipulates, distorts, and blends sound to create beauty. He paints with sound.
on December 24, 2013
I'm not here to rant about the music, it's fabulous. I'm here to rant about how poorly pressed this LP is- the second song on side a, titled side "hold on" isn't right- the needle skips over large portions of the song. From the first play it sounded awful. upon further examining the vinyl it looks as if there are slanted grooves. Hoping I can get a refund and a better record.
on April 1, 2014
I am an avid YouTube surfer but I hadn't crossed any music by SBTRKT until a trip to Australia, as a matter of fact I mistakenly had thought I was listening to MSTRKRFT for awhile. I would definitely compare this artist to James Blake who is one of my favorite singers by far, unique voices for their music type, SBTRKT being a bit more in the electro-dance genre. Two heavy hitting songs on this album for me were "Hold On" and "Wildfire", I would definitely give those a listen before purchasing the entire copy. While I have heard this CD countless times I have never actually owned a copy of it. So in my process of figuring out whether to buy the digital copy from Amazon or iTunes I found for $9.99 the iTunes version offers an additional 2 bonus tracks (13 Tracks altogether). I am not the type of person who buys albums often unless they make a huge impression on me so it's very rare I purchase the complete work of most artists I like, this is one of those rare occasions.
on April 24, 2012
Sbtrkt made my favorite non rap album of the last year. The inclusion of vocalist Sampha on multiple tracks led to the high star rating. Digging the airy production. This is on in my kitchen daily while I knock out tedious prep. Makes me smile
on May 26, 2012
A great soundtrack to a daily walk or background music when hanging out with friends. Not so crazy to be distracting, but enough to get you moving....and thinking. If you want to check out a cool mix look for this album check out the mix with Iggy Azalea, more lyrics for a party.
on August 24, 2011
one of those that you get a vibe about that, in my case anyway, led to wanting MORE and MORE!!! I subsequently ordered CDs by Magnetic Man, Skream, Zomby, Katy B and Ninja Tune XX Vol. 1

I'd say more, but it's almost 3:30 in the morning and I can't (elucidate?) why this one's so special to me. maybe it's the artwork, maybe the deep bass bumps, maybe it's Yukimi Nagano and the other vocalists that make this pop to me...but if you get a vibe about this as well, trust your gut and get it already - the best albums, to me anyway, are best described as overall feelings and I might come back to edit this and better (yep! elucidate!) the overall feeling, but for now, having innocently clicked the link in my email asking me to review it, I'm doing what I can.
on May 27, 2014
The entire album is full of tracks to fall in love with even those without vocals. The beats make you time travel with energy to uplift the soul. I say you buy one. Gracias SBTRKT for such amazing musica. "Lovebird Express" sends you all the prosperity you deserve.