5.0 out of 5 stars SCD Probiotics Works as it Should
I'm new to bokashi and have just filled my first 5-gallon bucket. The trash smells great (if trash can smell great), and I'm getting a regular supply of bokashi tea. I dilute the tea and water my plants with it.

Published on April 11, 2012 by F. Williams

2.0 out of 5 stars Perplexed, moldly bokashi
This bokashi was totally unlike the original batch I bought with the starter kit. That bokashi had a nice fragrance and dark color.

Published 23 months ago by Lynda Caine-Barrett

5.0 out of 5 stars SCD Probiotics Works as it Should, April 11, 2012
This review is from: SCD Probiotics C100 All Seasons Bokashi Compost Starter and Soil Innoculant (Lawn & Patio)

My intent is to make my own bokashi mix, but in the meanwhile I'm very satisfied with my purchase from SCD Probiotics. It was shipped in a timely fashion and it performs as it should.

Until I make my own batch, which has to sit for 2 weeks before it's usable, I'm ordering another bag from SCD Probiotics. For the reviewer that gave them 1 star, I believe it was because the product wasn't used as it should. Bokashi mix is for bokashi fermenting, not for traditional composting.

I haven't buried my fermented organic matter yet, and hope I remember to come back and post an update. In the meanwhile, I'm thrilled with bokashi fermenting and this bokashi mix does what it is supposed to do.

May 9, 2012 - An update:

My bokashi works as it should so I ordered another bag from SCD. I don't have a complaint about the bokashi bran, but I do have a complaint about the weight.

According to their label I purchased 1kg or 2.2 pounds of bokashi bran. However, when I put the bag on the scale (properly calibrated postal scale), the actual weight is 857 grams or 1.88 pounds. I didn't expect it to weigh exactly 1 kg, but I think 857 grams is a bit far from 1 kg.

The bag is unopened and in the same condition as when I ordered it. I still had bokashi mix left from my earlier purchase so there was no need to open it.

I'm curious to understand how SCD measures and weighs its bran.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Smelling Rot, April 26, 2012
I have to admit, I was skeptical of all the praise heaped on this bokashi business. However, I took a chance and ordered this product. Although many containers for this process are sold, I opted to use a 5 gallon plastic bucket already on hand. In a two week period 5 gallons of kitchen scraps such as tea bags, coffee grounds, banana peels and pizza crust were added, sprinkled and stirred. When it was sufficiently decomposed the whole contents were added to the outdoor compost bin. There were no foul odors at any stage of decomposition. Easy, peasy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goes farther than you'd think, April 3, 2013
This is the second bag of this mix I'm purchasing. I've been using a much smaller amount of what is specified on the package and I'm really happy with the results. I'm about 3/4 of the way through my first bag and I've treated a little over 10 gallons of waste. I add fruit/veg scraps and peels, meat/fish/eggs/bones/skin, oil/grease, grain/bread/pasta, milk/cheese/yogurt, spiced mix ingredient entrees, receipts, kleenex/toilet paper/dryer lint, houseplant trimmings. I put in a good 2-6 inch layer of waste and then lightly sprinkle the bran on top. I will say that some of my scraps are anaerobically fermented products (yogurt, kefir cheese, sour kraut, etc) and that my be boosting the ability of this product to work in such small amounts. I find that as long as I have some coverage over the surface that I don't get mold. Every few days I'll use a potato masher to push everything down and at that point I'll drain some liquid from the spout. I'm pretty hit and miss on whether or not I chop things or throw them in whole.

When my smaller counter top receptacle (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DYJ9ZO/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) is full I dump it into a 5 gallon bucket with screw top lid and sprinkle the top with the bran. When the 5 gallon bucket is full I let it sit for 2 weeks. I added 2.5 gallons from the first bucket to my indoor worm bin and mixed it through. I waited 3 weeks and I'd say its finished. Almost all of it was completely consumed and unrecognizable as anything. I also add old potting soil to my worm bin so the vermicompost automatically gets incorporated. There were a couple of clumps that it looks like the worms did not eat. They were somewhat powdery and grainy looking and broke apart to be flaky and dry. It incorporated into the newly conditioned soil really well. I was terrified that this would kill my worms by the way, but they all seem fine.

I'd really recommend this product and method of waste control. We make about 5 gallons of kitchen waste per month and this $10 has lasted us a few months. Its a great way to make use of all those things you normally can't give worms and I was absolutely shocked to see how quickly they handled the scraps processed in this way.

If you use the container I linked above, you can store some of the bokashi bran and a scoop in the section intended for ice. If you put a berry cage or mesh box in front of the spout area, it will prevent solids from coming near the spout and clogging it.

5.0 out of 5 stars works for me!, October 14, 2010
about to buy my 3rd bag, this is the only brand ive ever bought. i built my own buckets and have filled/buried a few over the course of this year. i only use 3.5 gallon buckets but a bag fills far more then one bucket as reference. seems potent enough for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars First time using bokashi, July 6, 2012
So far so good, my bucket rigth now is 40% full, white mold is forming now.
Hope to complete the cycle as supossed to.
I made the bucket for less than $5 USD, including spout for draining the liquids.
If this works out well, I'm planning on doing my own bokashi, shipping to Mexico makes it a lot expensive.
I recommend you to start now and save some money making the bucket by yourself ;)
Make the plannet a favor !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product works really well, June 22, 2012
When I wanted to start bokashi, I bought this probiotic mix from amazon. Since then I have bought this product two more times. Its a great product and works exactly as it is supposed to be. However the bokashi smell is not at all sweet rather is smells like shit (especially the tea). But the end product is great for plants and while the composting is going on and the lid is snug you will not smell anything. But be prepared for the smell when you are going to take out the compost to bury it under ground.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Deal, Good Product, September 8, 2010
The All Seasons Bokashi mix is a pretty good deal for the premade stuff. Honestly, the cheapest way to get it is to make it yourself, but it's kind of a pain. I haven't finished with my first batch of this stuff yet, but filled a 5 gallon bucket and still have half of the bag left. When it's been in the ground a few weeks, I'll update my review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Perplexed, moldly bokashi, December 17, 2012

I purchased three bags of this SCD bokashi--the color was dull, not rich, and the odor--not as pleasing as the previous. I used the first two bags and found that the mixture molded quite quickly. The third bag, unfortunately, was found to have mold already inside it upon opening.

I like using bokashi for composting but don't feel so confident about this product. Wish I could remember what the original brand was!!

I'm not likely to order this again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, controls odors, February 14, 2012
K F (Baltimore, MD) - See all my reviews
No complaints here, aside from the fact that it's a little pricey. We've used this in our kitchen composter for months now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I ordered!, May 18, 2011
The product that I ordered came on time and was exactly what I ordered, nothing more nothing less. If you like this product, I would reccommend purchasing from this supplier.