5.0 out of 5 stars love it!
Published on September 30, 2012 by cincilover

1.0 out of 5 stars Cooks hot
Published 14 months ago by Gardenia

5.0 out of 5 stars love it!, September 30, 2012
This review is from: Crock Pot SCR450-PT 4-1/2-Quart Slow Cooker, Black Demask Pattern (Kitchen)
I bought this at a local store because I fell in love with the pattern. I needed a slow cooker because I am way too busy to cook everyday when I get home every night and so is the boyfriend! We both love this appliance. I feel it getting warm as soon as I turn it on in the morning and everything that I have made has turned out perfectly. I usually use the low setting to cook my food for 8-9 hours and then leave it at warm until we clean up. So far we have made potato soup multiple times, whole turkey breast, chicken and dumplings, and chicken and rice. Love the results and it makes my life so much easier! I would recommend it to anyone who wants a beautiful and convenient appliance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice looking., January 1, 2013
This is my 1st crock pot & I love it. I can cook large (4lbs) roast with all the trimmings quite easily and since I bought it, we've had 6 meals that have been wonderful. I will surely put this to much use.

4.0 out of 5 stars My first and I love it, September 15, 2012
The design is great. It's easy to use and clean. The first time it did smell like burning plastic for some reason but that went away after the first wash. So wash it really wellbefore using! I've used this 5 days in a row and it works great. I agree that maybe it doesn't get SO hot and not so quickly but whatever, you're going to cook it for hours anyway. It's definitely a bargain!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this crock pot, June 25, 2012
Liz (Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews
I needed a new crock pot since my dogs pulled my other one off the counter and it broke. This one magically came up with a deal I couldn't refuse. I had been looking at a similar one that was red and it would have worked, but this one caught my eye. I love love love the damask design and this model has a warm setting, which my old one didn't. I really can't say anything bad about this crock pot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cooks hot, August 27, 2013
While some bad reviews have said it doesn't cook very hot or takes a very long time to reach a hot temperature, we've had the opposite experience. It cooks extremely hot, and the low setting makes soups boil. The outside of the crock pot gets so hot you can't touch it or risk really burning yourself (I say this because I saw a question & answer up above about it not getting too hot on the outside). It's a safety hazard for how hot it cooks!

1/9/2014: On the off chance that it was simply operator error ruining our dinners (like accidentally putting it on high where low should have been used instead), I gave it one last chance to pay extra attention. I had a 3-pound roast ready to go and put it on for four hours on LOW while I finished my day at work (which, theoretically, should take 8-9 to cook; 7 hours at the least). It was overcooked so badly by the time we got home that it's hard as a rock. You have to cut it harder than you do any overcooked steak. It must run so hot that it probably cooked the roast in an hour or hour and a half, tops. What's the point? I might as well cook my meat in the oven instead of trying to be efficient while at work. I'm getting rid of this piece of garbage. I've had enough of costly ruined dinners thanks to this thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well, pretty design!, October 30, 2013
I love this Crock Pot. I'm able to turn it on low and leave it like that for hours, and it cooks lentils and beans perfectly. It's not too heavy, and it's very easy to wash at the same time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for my needs and best price available ($19.99-$5 promotion). Perfect size and simple manual controls., January 2, 2014
Keith in NYC (New York, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Guys: I had the exact same original one for years (with the old "daisy" pattern) my mom gave me and it last 20 years. It finally died so I decided to buy a new one. I was so surprised to come across this old workhorse manual model, the same one I've been using for YEARS. Although I'm not crazy about the design (which doesn't bother me since I don't leave it out when I'm not using it), here's what I like about it:

Pros:
1. It's really simple to operate with the only three settings I'll ever need in a crock pot: low and high (and keep warm). That's it. All my hundreds of crock pot recipes only call for these three settings, no exact temperature needed. It's a crock pot....you turn it on for a few hours and leave it.
2. I like the idea that it's one manual knob to turn on and off...like my grandfather always said, less electronics and circuit boards to break (and he was right).
3. The stoneware inner pot lasts forever and is very easy to clean. Nothing ever sticks to it. And I've never, ever burned anything in this.
4. Inexpensive, and after I put it in my cart, a $5.00 promotion was automatically applied. Woo hoo! I had no idea, but I'm not complaining.

Cons:
1. Minor issue, but one side of the metal part of the crock pot gets much hotter than the other, specifically the back of the crock pot (opposite where the dial is). You actually cannot leave your fingers on that back portion of the hotpot because it gets very hot when it's on high, though at the same time you can leave your fingers on the front portion for longer period (not as hot). My guess is that it's just the way the inner heating elements are lined throughout the pot. So although a little bit of the stew was sticking/cooked onto the stoneware where the hotspot was, but I end up stirring my stews a few times during the process, so it's not a deal breaker for me, since generally speaking the entire inner stoneware container gets very hot seems to spread the heat fairly well. So one star off for that.
2.As noted in 1. above, the container itself gets pretty hot when it's on high, so I wouldn't leave it totally unattended around children (my cat seems to know to stay away from hot stuff, but I probably wouldn't leave it on with me out of the house for any period of time with him sniffing around, either)

1.0 out of 5 stars I WANTED to love this Crock Pot..., September 11, 2012
I love the design of this crock pot and was pleased that it is just the size I need. However, I must have recd a lemon? I've been using crock pots since the 70s so I'm comfortable with their function. My first dish (a soup requiring an hour of low simmering if prepared on the stovetop) never approached hot in the four hours it sat on high. I had added nothing frozen -- ingredients were from fridge, broth was room temp. Pot filled between 1/2 and 3/4 full as recommended. I tried a second recipe with similar results.

I checked the Rival website and it states that the contents should reach 209 degrees F and then hold that temp [takes 4-5 hrs on high, something like 8 on low]. I tested my new crock pot by adding tap water to recommended amount and turning it on HIGH. I started checking water temp with thermometer after 4 hrs, and quit after 6.5 hrs -- never getting above 195F. It's as if we were using the "WARM" function rather than HIGH, but both my husband & I checked that during my test to be certain that wasn't the case.

I so loved the look of this and really didn't want to return it -- but this has gone back. Thanks Amazon for making it a reasonable process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, October 29, 2012
I love cooking, but have never owned a crock pot. I was extremely pleased with this one. It is so easy to throw a few ingredients in and forget about it. I found the size to be perfect for 2-4 people and have had no problems at all. Super cute design and easy to clean as well. Over all excellent!

1.0 out of 5 stars 4 quarts instead of 4.5..., April 28, 2014
I read the reviews about the wobbly lid and I sadly must confirm they are true. I have another slow cooker by another maker that isn't as shaky but has died. My biggest issue? This is advertised as a 4.5 quart cooker, but when you measure the liner volume using an 8 cup measuring cup (Pyrex), it holds EXACTLY 4 quarts! I returned this item, because I need the extra space. Somewhere in the description it should mention the liner holds 4 quarts - maybe the cooker without the liner is 4.5 quarts? :(