Top positive review
160 people found this helpful
This is a great buy
on July 23, 2011
UPDATE ON Aug 11, 2013: I have had these working for two years. I ended up buying four of them. I posted a picture of one working. One of them had an issue because it was too close to the dryer and would go off unexpectantly when I was drying clothes. For some reason moisture does affect a few, but not all, of these cameras. I ended up swapping it for one of the other detectors and had no issues with either when I did that. Other than that, they are working great with no issues. I have caught two contractors and a "friend" looking through drawers in my house. The "friend" actually took money out of my wallet while I was in another room. He isn't invited back any more but I never told him about the camera.
The picture is great. The sound is so clear that my cat heard his own voice recording and went to the PC speakers to investigate. No one ever thinks that the smoke detectors are recording. Even the installers just thought it was a new type of central alarm system; you have to run the lines through the attic to a central location and I wasn't going to crawl up there in 100 degree weather. Well worth it.
Remember that this is just a surveillance camera and you have to buy the DVR and connecting wires separately. Some people rated this bad because they thought it was a complete system, which it never claims to be.
To answer some of the questions I have seen on here:
1. This is a surveillance camera. It does not record. It does not have memory. It doesn't come with instructions because it is to be used with a surveillance system. It does not have an independent removeable battery. It needs a power source and needs to be connected to a system that is typically used for surveillance, like a 4-channel DVR. Power is usually supplied with those systems. This is basically an add-on.
2. If it doesn't look like the picture shown on this page, return it. You got the wrong product.
3. This gives a real crisp and clear picture when it gets plenty of light. It works in diim light but not in the dark. The less light, the less clarity.
4. Finally, this does work as a smoke detector and no one looks at the smoke detectors. I have no idea why people think it is obvious as I bet you cannot describe your smoke detector. It has a hole (of course) but shows no sign of a camera. Only if you absolutely have seen one of these before would you know it is a surveillance camera.
5. It takes some electronic know-how to hook up a security system so if you know nothing about electronics, seek professional help.
ORIGINAL POST: I had bought another brand that was cheaper and I was unhappy. The other one was priced under $50 but did not have audio, was black and white, and was not a functioning smoke detector. If you looked at it, you can even spot the camera as it is not totally concealed.
So, I decided to purchase this one because of the pic (yes I know that can be dangerous). Well, it looks exactly like the pic. The actually picture quality is really good and in color. The audio works perfectly. And it is a functioning fire alarm. There is no way anyone can tell it is a camera device.
The only problem I had was that I gave it a little power to test the video, which activated it. So, when I take the power away, it beeps like it has a low battery. Very annoying when you are setting it up.
I am buying a second one.