Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

on August 4, 2008
Awesome set here. I bought them for a sculpture class and I think they will do pretty fine. Also a real good use for weapons cleaning with the sharper ones. Check out my photos for the close ups of the ends and the case it they store in. I hate when I try to buy things like this and only get one photo and no reviews, so I made did one myself. Your paying a bit over a buck for each tool, which is a awesome deal I think. Plus you get a case for them. Shipping was quick and nice too.
review image review image review image review image
88 comments326 of 334 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 14, 2010
This 12 piece tool set has 24 different heads. I purchased it for carving wax and plaster in jewelry making. A couple of the pieces were rough when they arrived, having sharp little bits of jagged metal along the edges. I simply smoothed them with sandpaper. They came in a plastic snap-closure divided envelope. They have worked well for me so far. They cut, gauge, and pierce the wax smoothly. I am happy with this purchase.
0Comment57 of 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2011
- 12 picks as shown in the photo? CHECK
- Flawless Stainless steel as advertised? CHECK

Others have said their sets arrived pitted or dull; mine are pristine and even still have the protective plastic covers over the sharpest [4] picks. (stainless steel polishes like a mirror with 0000 steel wool though)

Others have also noted that the case they come in is thin vinyl and while it is true that the case probably cost all of a nickel, I did not order these for the case. Go to the dollar store and get a pencil box, "problem" solved.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
0Comment47 of 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2014
If it's stainless steel then why are they covered in rust? I use dental picks, wax carvers, and cuticle cleaners to clean fossils. I do it with some water. This set is holding up okay. Not great (most hold up well). The problem I've encountered is that after just the first use they are rusted. To be fair, I didn't bother drying them after use, but they are supposed to be stainless steel. All other sets I use that ACTUALLY are stainless steel don't rust.

Rust is a big issue in terms of long term durability and the ability to be pinpoint accurate with them. I DO NOT recommend purchasing this set unfortunately.
11 comment28 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2010
Good instruments, but doesn't include the picks pictured. Includes the spade and spatula types, but no picks. So, apparently I need to order yet another set.
11 comment71 of 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2009
These aren't dental quality - but for $10 bucks or so they're very handy to have at the work bench - great for use in refinishing furniture.
on September 10, 2010
I bought the set to work clay. Many of the tools have poorly finished and misshapen edges and pitting. Using a whetstone and some 400 grit paper, I managed to salvage most of the tools I "needed."
0Comment32 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 4, 2009
I ordered these to sculpt polymer clay and they arrived today. I was not expecting much from them, considering the price, and I was right to be skeptical. At least 7 of the tools in my set have small black pock marks or other visible signs of wear.

They most definitely are not shiny and new. Almost every single tool has scuff marks on the tips like they've been rubbed with steel wool (see the product photos I added). The tips are supposed to be mirrored and shiny. They are not.

I am a little hesitant to even touch them because I do not know where they've been. I hope they have not been recycled from a dentist office and re-labeled for sale to the hobbyist market. The thin plastic roll-up bag say India on the outside and smells like a latex glove. I am going to throw away the bag and disinfect the tools in rubbing alcohol as a precaution.

I recommend against this set strongly.
review image review image
66 comments44 of 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2011
I'm using this pick set for working on computers (Laptops mostly) The Pick Set is like advertised. Plenty of choices for picking, carving, and so forth. I hope that you were NOT planning on keeping the case that the set comes with. It (the case) is "almost" constructed out of the thinnest, cheapest, vinyl I've ever seen! It was 40F outside and when I opened the case it split open! (Permanently) Not to mention that the case had numerous holes in it from being punctured by the tools. Case is already on the way to the dump! The tools are indeed stainless and if you have a dremel tool handy, you can finish the tools (Like they should have done in India, where they were made) Got this for $10.98... hmm... you kinda get what you pay for. The picks will work for what I'm doing but don't expect a PRO quality set at this price. Shipping was great as always through amazon!
0Comment32 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2012
I bought this 12 carving tool set in 2012 end of march and immediately started carving the heck out of my clay sculptures, using them for smoothing out small spaces, and adding slip to connect two parts. This tool set did exactly what I wanted. I carved through dry clay nice and slow with no problems, edges are slightly ruff so I used that to gently grind away residue to create an evenly matched edge or lines. I used almost all the tools doing my work. I used it for very intriquette details. Students from other ceramic classes said that my work was admired for the details from the carving tools, my teacher asked me to order a set for him after examining them himself.