5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful rotary tool attachment
Published on July 9, 2009 by J. G. Ricks

3.0 out of 5 stars Note low RPM listing
Published on September 15, 2010 by Ray

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful rotary tool attachment, July 9, 2009
This review is from: SE DW13 Diamond Wheel 6 Piece1/8-Inch Shank (Tools & Home Improvement)
This item exceeded my expectations. I accepted the task of engraving the name of my dog into a fairly large stone to use as a tombstone. I had tried using other tools but was having trouble removing a significant amount of the stone. I tried the diamond cutting disc on the stone and was amazed. It cut through the stone like butter (I kept the stone and wheel wet to help). The wheel eventually lost most of the diamond coating, but I was already finished with the tombstone. And it took only one wheel. I am very pleased with the potential applications of this attachment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Note low RPM listing, September 15, 2010
While these are offered as being compatible with all rotary tools, the package states they must be used at low RPM. This is contradictory since rotary tools run in the 5000-30000 RPM range. Another reviewer stated they were listed at 1500 RPM. I did not see that in the ad or on the package. But the low RPM warning is on the cardboard package back along with a requirement to always use water lubricant. By comparison, the comparable Dremel 545 is listed as 15000 to 20000 RPM.

On another subject, other reviewers have said they don't hold up well cutting screws or metal. They are not intended for metal. They are suitable for concrete, brick, porcelain, ceramics and tile.

Update on usage. Someone commented on this review asking how well they actually worked in comparison to the Dremel 545. They work very well. I installed subway tile as a kitchen backsplash. The tile surface ends as the backsplash reaches a window frame. I did not installed the window trim until AFTER the tiles were already solid on the wall. And to place the trim properly, I had to trim off 1/8" of the tile the full height of the backsplash.

I applied a piece of painters tape to maintain a straight line and cut straight up all the tiles. But since this cut requires the Dremel tool to lay flat against the wall while cutting, the larger diameter of the Dremel 545 is essential to get a cut that was perpendicular to the wall.

As I just explained, a key comparison involves the diameter of the disc. The Dremel disc is roughly twice the diameter. If you picture the small disc installed on your Dremel rotary motor tool, you can imagine that the larger Dremel disc would give you a greater depth of cut. Cutting flush to the wall surface with the small disc would be nearly impossible. You would have to lean your Dremel motor into the wall and you would get a cut that was not perpendicular to the wall. (Dremel 545 disc is 1.5" diameter while this disc is 7/8" diameter.)

On the other hand, if you are cutting tiles BEFORE they are installed on the wall, these small discs work perfectly well.

There is no question the Dremel 545 is superior quality and functionality. BUT this product does work adequately and is a bargain at the price offered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Work Great., December 24, 2008
I bought these to cut Pyrex/glass test tubes. They work great and last a long time. I have cut many tubes and am still on the first wheel. Save your money and buy these cheap import blades they are just as good as the Dremel brand in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars same product - fraction of the price, February 13, 2008
Just one of these tools with Dremel brand name is $15 at the store. This product works just as well at a fraction of the price. I received them in just a couple of days and free shipping.....you can't beat that!!

4.0 out of 5 stars cutting well, September 12, 2009
Jesus Bastardo (West Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
indeed this cutting disk are the best option instead of the dremel 409, i have being cutting a lot of stuff a piece of glass, aluminum shells, wood, and acrylic plastic with just ONE disk and it stills have long life to keep cutting, you wont regret this ones. can't say the same for the 409

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for cutting glass block, February 1, 2009
I purchased these to cut an opening in a glass block (the kind used to make decorative walls). Glass was almost 3/8" thick so I was not expecting the cuts to be easy. These cutting wheels made the job easy. It is essential to keep the cut lubricated and cooled (I used water). In total I made almost 2 linear feet of cut and wore out one of the five wheels. A good product at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rotary tool cutting wheel, September 23, 2008
This product is a good deal and durable for cutting into plaster walls. It enabled me to make precise cuts, limiting the extent of replastering. I recommend it for similar applications.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Mandrel, December 28, 2010
I am somewhat torn about how to rate this set. The wheels seem to be of decent quality. I was able to cut two 8X10 mirrors from a large panel with one wheel. The problem and the reason I gave this product a poor rating is because the mandrel stripped completely just as I finished cutting the second mirror. This was not operator error as I know the mandrel was tight before beginning to cut. As I said above though, the wheels are good quality, the mandrel, not so much. It may be possible to use these wheels with a standard Dremel sanding disc mandrel. I haven't tried that yet but at least I would still be able to use the wheels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Remember: NOT FOR METAL. Good for stone/ceramic, September 11, 2011
You might think that because ceramic is harder than metals, this would be great for metal. I don't know why some reviews repeat that idea. But I would like to confirm that these are *not* good for metal. Simply, they grip too much, and catch and don't work on metal. I was working with 1/4-1/2 mm steel when I tested that out.

That said, this is a great price for a ceramic cutter. And they do work for stone and ceramics. Since they are diamond, the diamond will never wear down (note: these will definitively not last forever, I'm not trying to say that), but the glue can rip off and the gaps between diamond dust can become clogged. For that reason, a very clogging material is bad to use, and you should let the wheel do the cutting, and not apply too much pressure.

Also, the face of the wheel is indeed very grippy. This can make it difficult to cut inside grooves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little set, April 9, 2009
Comes with a mandrell and 5 wheels. This set has a very fine grit.

Stated max RPM is 1500, and formally require lubrication with water or oil (otherwise it can overheat, warp, crack, and otherwise send spinning pain death nastiness at your face).

These make a nice, smooth groove or cut. Definitely a bargain price.

SE DW13 Diamond Wheel 6 Piece1/8-Inch Shank