Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: SE DW13 6-Piece Diamond Wheel Set with Breathing Holes & Mandrel, Shank Size: 1/8"
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 15, 2010
While these are offered as being compatible with all rotary tools, the package states they must be used at low RPM. This is contradictory since rotary tools run in the 5000-30000 RPM range. Another reviewer stated they were listed at 1500 RPM. I did not see that in the ad or on the package. But the low RPM warning is on the cardboard package back along with a requirement to always use water lubricant. By comparison, the comparable Dremel 545 is listed as 15000 to 20000 RPM.

On another subject, other reviewers have said they don't hold up well cutting screws or metal. They are not intended for metal. They are suitable for concrete, brick, porcelain, ceramics and tile.

Update on usage. Someone commented on this review asking how well they actually worked in comparison to the Dremel 545. They work very well. I installed subway tile as a kitchen backsplash. The tile surface ends as the backsplash reaches a window frame. I did not installed the window trim until AFTER the tiles were already solid on the wall. And to place the trim properly, I had to trim off 1/8" of the tile the full height of the backsplash.

I applied a piece of painters tape to maintain a straight line and cut straight up all the tiles. But since this cut requires the Dremel tool to lay flat against the wall while cutting, the larger diameter of the Dremel 545 is essential to get a cut that was perpendicular to the wall.

As I just explained, a key comparison involves the diameter of the disc. The Dremel disc is roughly twice the diameter. If you picture the small disc installed on your Dremel rotary motor tool, you can imagine that the larger Dremel disc would give you a greater depth of cut. Cutting flush to the wall surface with the small disc would be nearly impossible. You would have to lean your Dremel motor into the wall and you would get a cut that was not perpendicular to the wall. (Dremel 545 disc is 1.5" diameter while this disc is 7/8" diameter.)

On the other hand, if you are cutting tiles BEFORE they are installed on the wall, these small discs work perfectly well.

There is no question the Dremel 545 is superior quality and functionality. BUT this product does work adequately and is a bargain at the price offered.
22 comments|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2009
This item exceeded my expectations. I accepted the task of engraving the name of my dog into a fairly large stone to use as a tombstone. I had tried using other tools but was having trouble removing a significant amount of the stone. I tried the diamond cutting disc on the stone and was amazed. It cut through the stone like butter (I kept the stone and wheel wet to help). The wheel eventually lost most of the diamond coating, but I was already finished with the tombstone. And it took only one wheel. I am very pleased with the potential applications of this attachment.
11 comment|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 24, 2008
I bought these to cut Pyrex/glass test tubes. They work great and last a long time. I have cut many tubes and am still on the first wheel. Save your money and buy these cheap import blades they are just as good as the Dremel brand in my opinion.
on February 13, 2008
Just one of these tools with Dremel brand name is $15 at the store. This product works just as well at a fraction of the price. I received them in just a couple of days and free shipping.....you can't beat that!!
on September 12, 2009
indeed this cutting disk are the best option instead of the dremel 409, i have being cutting a lot of stuff a piece of glass, aluminum shells, wood, and acrylic plastic with just ONE disk and it stills have long life to keep cutting, you wont regret this ones. can't say the same for the 409
on February 1, 2009
I purchased these to cut an opening in a glass block (the kind used to make decorative walls). Glass was almost 3/8" thick so I was not expecting the cuts to be easy. These cutting wheels made the job easy. It is essential to keep the cut lubricated and cooled (I used water). In total I made almost 2 linear feet of cut and wore out one of the five wheels. A good product at a great price.
on September 23, 2008
This product is a good deal and durable for cutting into plaster walls. It enabled me to make precise cuts, limiting the extent of replastering. I recommend it for similar applications.
on December 28, 2010
I am somewhat torn about how to rate this set. The wheels seem to be of decent quality. I was able to cut two 8X10 mirrors from a large panel with one wheel. The problem and the reason I gave this product a poor rating is because the mandrel stripped completely just as I finished cutting the second mirror. This was not operator error as I know the mandrel was tight before beginning to cut. As I said above though, the wheels are good quality, the mandrel, not so much. It may be possible to use these wheels with a standard Dremel sanding disc mandrel. I haven't tried that yet but at least I would still be able to use the wheels.
on September 11, 2011
You might think that because ceramic is harder than metals, this would be great for metal. I don't know why some reviews repeat that idea. But I would like to confirm that these are *not* good for metal. Simply, they grip too much, and catch and don't work on metal. I was working with 1/4-1/2 mm steel when I tested that out.

That said, this is a great price for a ceramic cutter. And they do work for stone and ceramics. Since they are diamond, the diamond will never wear down (note: these will definitively not last forever, I'm not trying to say that), but the glue can rip off and the gaps between diamond dust can become clogged. For that reason, a very clogging material is bad to use, and you should let the wheel do the cutting, and not apply too much pressure.

Also, the face of the wheel is indeed very grippy. This can make it difficult to cut inside grooves.
on September 24, 2014
(review by NJCELT Pixiegirl19's husband)
I'm a DIY type who enjoys working with his hands. I purchased this item, to see if these diamond wheels, worked "So much better. " than the regular grinding wheels(as stated by other craftsmen l know) sold for the(Dremel is my brand) rotory tool.

The 5 diamond wheels come in a handy little plastic case, and are placed with care inside, on top of a white padding swatch cut to fit inside. The discs are taped across the top and outside the case. This prevented any movement of the product, and a nice touch buy the seller from my perspective.
The discs themselves are made of excellent quality. The diamond bits(being the hardest substance in earth) are on both the top and bottom, plus the outside edge. They reduced cut, and grinding times by more then 50%. I found the mandrel included in the kit to be subpar compared to most other mandrels included in other "piece kits" like buffers, grinders and sanders, that didn't have the brand name on them. It shouldn't matter anyway, I was planning on using the diamond discs with one of the mandrels included in the 100pc Dremel kit anyway.
[FYI-That Dremel 100pc kit costs $19.99(approx.) here so beware of a seller trying to charge you $35.99! It's way overpriced IMO) I'm not saying the included 1/8" mandrel for the diamond discs doesn't work, it does, I tried it.(see included pics, for the review I felt I must use it) No it's not built, as solid as the brand name mandrel. It is however a solid piece that turns smooth(no off-center spin, or disc wobble) and locks the discs on right (and tight) There are the expected 2 red rubber washer-type stops that help hold the diamond disc head onto the mandrel.

My problem was the screw head. It was that hard for me to get started. I have thick long fingers, and with this one, I had to use my mini needle nose to hold it into place and get it started(I can normally use my fingers to change heads on mandrels all day) It was loose at first, but after a few more turns it settled in and did it's thing. I used it for a solid 1 hour session and the diamond disc head never came loose.

So don't be put off buying this, by my comments on the mandrel! Even if you don't have any other mandrels laying around, and you must use the included one, you will get the job at hand done at a much greater speed, and precision(at reducing metals anyway) Besides cutting several old screws (steel but not rusty) I was able to reduce extra metal off of poured molded aluminum, and the disc looks and feels slightly worn! I can't say how long each disc head will last. I know the diamond bits on the edge had worm off buy the end of the hour, but it wasn't stopping the cutting ability.

Pros:
- quality diamond bit discs
-price per disc
-solid construction

Cons: mandrel screw doesn't fit perfectly(does get the job done hence no loss of star)
review image review image review image review image review image