Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Item Package Quantity: 1|Change
Price:$5.13+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on December 8, 2009
This looks just like the real thing. The sensor that triggers the red light is very good & picks things up from quite a distance.

I made it look even more real, by taking the wires out of an old broken (battery operated) toy that my Son had and glueing them under the batteries in the dummy camera where there was a little hole going into the device. I used rubber cement (like E6000 that you can find in any sewing department). I then made a little notch in the battery door and strung the wires out of the camera through there. I drilled my pilot holes for the screws that the bracket attaches to. I then drilled another small hole in the ceiling next to the pilot holes and under where the bracket for the camera would go. I put glue on the end of the wires and threaded them into that hole. I then installed the camera and bracket over that hole I drilled.

This way if someone ever pulls the camera out of the ceiling to see if it's real, they will be pretty sure their photo was taken when they realize they just ripped a bunch of wires out of the ceiling - that were attached to the camera.
1212 comments|128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2009
I bought 4 of these, they install easily, and look realistic enough. The exception is that the motion sensor has a range of 1-2 feet. Not one of the four I bought had a range of more than that. Which means, it's almost impossible to mount so that people walking by will trip the sensor and cause the led to blink. I mounted one over a door, and I'm 5'10" tall. Even when I stand right in front of it and wave my hands, the sensor won't catch it.

It's hard to complain for the price, and coupled with fully functioning video cameras and security system, it serves its purpose. But I think it may be better to take the batteries out and leave it completely passive.
55 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2009
Great product & looks real. Do not install the batteries for the light - that will make it look fake.
on December 6, 2010
very cheap , looks ok , probably for a short while ,, suggest spend a little more and get a better one ,, almost impossible to mount with the cheezy mount bracket and screws supplied , I just used a long screw right thru the edge of the unit , 2 of 5 came with inside broken and none of them had the "camera eye " aiming out the intended slot
on June 18, 2014
I read the reviews--some people said this thing looks fake with the flashing light so I just never put the battery in it. I had trouble mounting it on a brick wall because the spacing of the mounting screws had to be pretty exact so I made a template on paper to show the distance of the mounting screws, then calculated the angle to make it look as though the camera is facing the correct direction (in case of the unlikely event that anyone actually examines the device closely enough to see which direction the slightly visible "camera" is facing), then I mounted the mounting screws on pressure treated wood. Then it was easy to mount the pressure treated wood high enough on the brick wall to discourage casual interference (about nine or ten feet I guess). I used 3 inch screws through the pressure treated wood and into holes in the brick mortar filled with liquid nails. Before putting the presure treated wood I drilled a hole and put a one foot ethernet cable into the wall so that during installation it looked vaguely as if I was mounting a real camera. The problem is that I was unable to remove the ethernet cable before mounting the board--so the pressure treated wood is not completely flush. I don't believe all that matters though.

I hope this will keep my place looking pretty secure. Looks real enough to me hope it looks real enough to discourage the bad guys.
on May 8, 2010
Right out of the box this item was a piece of junk. Of the four different items I ordered, only this one did not meet expectations and was immediately thrown away. The back plastic plate was cracked. The "camera" and light assembly was floating around in the clear bubble because it was no longer seated in it's correct position. The light would not engage when batteries were installed so before I threw it away, I took it apart to see why. The wires the gauge size of a hair had either broken away from their solder or had never been soldered in the first place.

Although I only bought this to be one more thing that someone had to look at and decide whether is was real or fake and I realize that this was merely a decoy that might add a few seconds to someone's car theft decision making process, I do expect something to be in working order as advertised when I buy the product...no matter what the item is.
on June 16, 2010
Received four Dummy Security domes. All four needed to be taken apart to attach the interior part, which were floating. They must have Dummy's putting these things together. Don't be fooled (like me) the cheaper ones don't have a motion detector, the light blinks until turned off or the batteries go dead. This is a real cheap P.O.C. Better then nothing.
on July 10, 2010
I was looking to place a dummy dome camera in the ceiling of our shop where we do not have one hooked up yet. The pictures on Amazon (of this dummy dome camera) looked pretty good... but wait. The actual thing wouldn't fool a blind man. It might as well have a "flashing red LED" that says "FAKE".

I feel pretty stupid about this, I should have known that if the price was "cheap", the end product WOULD BE CHEAP. When it comes to security, there is no substitute for the real thing.
on October 22, 2013
Others have written about how some of the fake cameras look fake, well this one looks just like the real one even when examined up close. Most of the dome can not be seen thru but just like the real ones, there is a clear opening where you can see what looks like a camera lens inside the dome. VERY realisitic! The only reason it did not rate 5 stars is that a paper template is needed so you can install the mounting screws in the right place. The screws have to be installed first then you fit the dome with the slots on the bottom over the screws and twist to tighten. Getting the screws perfectly aligned is difficult without a template, Suggest you make one prior to drilling any holes
on October 23, 2010
I read all the reviews of this type of item before purchasing and decided to try it anyway. Some said the motion sensor did not work, and that was my initial experience, but then found it does work in dim light or the dark, but not in bright light. Otherwise, it looks good and hope it will do its job. I purchased two, very inexpensively, but the shipping charge seemed high and turned out to be 3 times what the seller actually spent on shipping. Oh well.