Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Color: Green|Change
Price:$7.74+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on April 27, 2010
Not a premium firesteel, but for the price it works well. The included striker is a bonus: You don't have to mess up a good knife blade. I haven't used it much, but it makes adequate sparks with sufficient pressure. Durability is unknown, but I'll carry this as a backup firestarter.

At first use, it will take some scraping to clear the black oxidation. Once you're through the oxide layer, firm pressure and a quick wrist will generate lots of very bright sparks.

Dryer lint is an excellent firestarter, and takes a spark well. For emergency fire kit, knead some vaseline (petroleum jelly) into some cotton balls. Penny sized pieces of this gooey mess burns quite well and for a while.

The instructions say to scrape a pile of metal off the firesteel. With dryer lint, cotton balls or other good tinder, this is a waste of time.

UPDATE: June 2013: Since the review was posted, I have used it occasionally and have lit many fires with it. Bottom line: it's light, it throws good sparks, and lights fires. Now the rod is getting a little thin from use, but it lights fires just as well as an expensive one that has a much larger diameter rod, at 1/4th the weight. Bumped my review to 5 stars.
Oh: the description is way off: this is not a magnesium bar, it's a standard ferro-rod, just like the other thousand or so products that are just like it.

The only improvement I made was to take the loop of line holding it together, and get rid of the loop... a longer lanyard on the striker makes this easier to operate... Just untie the knot, and use a double overhand knot on each end to keep the firesteel and striker from being separated.
66 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2010
When I received my fire starter, I noticed the INCORRECT instructions on the package call this a "magnesium rod" and tell you to:
1)Gently shave a small quantity of magnesium with metal striker into a small pile of leaves or grass, paper, or leaves to start a campfire.
2) Strike the magnesium rod with striker.
3) The sparks will start the fire with shaved magnesium.

THIS IS NOT A MAGNESIUM ROD. It is a ferrocerium rod. This rod(#FS373) is only designed to make sparks. Do not shave off pieces of this rod into a pile of leaves. You will waste it and it will not work as it should.

That being said, this rod (actual rod length is only 1-5/8 inches, NOT 2" as stated in ad) works exactly as it should. I would not buy this for every day use, but I have tried it, trust it, and will keep it with me for emergencies.
55 comments| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2011
This is a great deal. I use the Swedish Firesteel Army model regularly. Not only while camping, but also to light my propane and charcoal grills. I feel they are actually easier and more reliable than a lighter for lighting the grills.

While this is a small generic version of a normal firesteel, it works in the same way. The diameter is slightly smaller than the `scout' versions of the various ferro rod firesteels, but they are very close in appearance and quality. While it is not as simple to use as the larger models, it is just as good as the smaller ones on the market and costs 1/3 the price of many of them.

My intent for this was to have one I could keep comfortably on my keychain. This works perfect for that. The knob handle is a bit large, but I trimmed it down so it's now the size of a key and does not feel obtrusive on my keys in my pocket.

Yes, the instructions are incorrect as other reviewers have stated. You do NOT shave material off of this and then spark it, which is how the magnesium firestarters work, not these. It took 5-6 scrapes before this unit started making good sparks, once the finish was worn away it worked great. Since it is smaller than many other models (which is why I bought it), it is a bit harder to use, but with a bit of practice it is just as functional.

The included scraper functioned acceptably, but I found I got significantly better sparks by using the squared back of my knife. Maybe if the thick paint wore off the scaper it would work better though.
on May 11, 2011
The rod on this firesteel is not real thick, but if you don't strike the whole rod length you can make this last a long time. Striking the whole rod length will cause extra material removal near the middle of the rod, and it might break there. Start at the very tip and as it wears out work your way up the rod.

Creates really bright sparks that will catch dryer lint on fire no problem. Nice in a survival situation and/or Search and Rescue.
on October 17, 2011
It is very cheap. It broke the first time I tried it out. Snapped at the base where it connects to the grip.
on July 24, 2015
What's great about this product it that you pay a nice low price for a fire starter. So far, I have had no problem using this product. It works fines and does the job. It does make sparks and works fine. I would recommend this product.
on December 30, 2011
The actual item I received looked a little different: the tip of the striker was angled, which is a good thing. Once you get through a couple of strikes and get through the black covering, this thing puts off sparks like nobody's business. Bear Grylls would be happy to be stranded in the woods with this!
on December 26, 2013
I was surprised at how well this product worked. I already have a "Light My Fire" brand ferro rod and love it. For less than $4 I thought I would give this one a try. It is every bit as good a fire starter as my name brand one. The striker works, but not as well as it could. I use the back on my knife, or another striker with this cheap rod. The "Light My Fire" seems to strike easier and seems to have slightly hotter sparks. That said, this cheap fire striker has worked flawlessly for me and started a fire every time. I use it as a back up, and also let my younger sons use it. I would easily recommend this to anyone wanting a fire striker.
on May 11, 2013
From all the reviews I read many complained about how small and fragile this ferro rod was, I received mine today and expected a matchstick thin rod that I'd be able to use once or twice before it snapped in two. What I got was a 3 inch long ferro rod that's approximately 1/4 inch in diameter! it's sturdy and already sparked some pretty impressive fireworks with it. So, my conclusion is, either I received the wrong product or way too many people are chronic whiners...
Anyway I'm very pleased with this product and I'm always game for a pleasant surprise.
on May 22, 2011
We bought these because our local sheriff said he would not be without his. He has a huge area to patrol and says that this is an item that could save his life if he is ever stranded or injured. We took his advice and bought two.