Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on April 24, 2012
If you know what a trichome is, you'll want to get this scope. I have both this and the Carson MM-100 MicroMax. Here's how they stack up against each other:

The MicroMax is half the size of the SE MW10085. This makes it harder to hold and focus unless it is on a table.
The MM has a puny LED which doesn't provide enough light to see much.
The SE MW10085 has a great zoom slider and focus wheel which are easy to operate while looking through the lens. The MMax is much harder to focus in situ without moving it all over and losing the object to be viewed.
In fact, the only thing I liked about the MMax is the rubber eyepiece (no biggie).
11 comment| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2011
Ignore any negative reviews, this product is fantastic for the price you pay. Excellent clarity when focused and easily stored. Plus you dont have to worry about breaking your 70$+ microscope!
on February 24, 2013
I love this product-I rarely give 5 stars but this one deserves the credit and I want others to know that you don't need to spend alot of money just to be able to see the finest details. I had another unit that I went to get batteries for and they were more expensive than the original unit, which came with batteries. This one takes very common batteries that are cheap. It also seems to be lesslikely to be left on by mistake. Not sure why but I just don't leaveit on by mistake. It is a great size for my hand. And is easily adjustable even while looking throught the lens. Comes with a stand but you can use it w/ out the stand if you want. I have nothing bad to say about this item.
on October 1, 2012
It's true that this cheap scope has its problems: the "optics" are not refined and the fit-and-finish is below par (the metallic stickers are not flat and not parallel to the sides). But at eight bucks, and for the purpose and to the degree that it serves, this scope is pretty... awesome. It's for my 6 y/o son, who loves to investigate things. Win.

The scope is labeled "60x-100x", and it certainly appears to have that level of magnification. I have looked at flour bugs on our counter (!), and these little dots of insects can be seen in detail under this scope. You can even see the compound structure of the eyes. This scope can see the dots of a print magazine with no problem. As I said, the optics are not refined and the image will appear as slightly hazy and unevenly focused. I'm happy to report that the focus mechanism is easy to operate, as is the magnification-changer, which is a slider.

I was hoping to get the scope in the first picture, but instead I got the one in the following pictures. But it works great, considering the price.

Seriously, if you find a better scope near this price, let me know in the comments.
on November 19, 2012
Cheapest of this variety of pocket scope out there, & combines the best features (high power, AA batteries, LED light, stable stand with slide holder). Works amazingly well for something so small and cheap. Could be a great first real microscope for an older child, as it teaches the patience and precise focus manipulation necessary to using larger laboratory microscopes.

Removed one star because the batteries are quite hard to get out.
on November 19, 2013
The price to quality ratio is pretty good. But these are not crisp optics. I would go with a loupe instead because these cheap plastic microscopes are difficult to focus and offer a poor field of view. Also, it uses a standard bulb rather than an LED which is a battery drain.
on November 7, 2011
this is great for maginifying anything you may need it for. the item is a bit bulky and i doubt it would fit in many pockets, especially with the base. otherwise worth the money
on January 21, 2014
Got it for some quick looks at broken electronics; stood a 5mm screw on end and was able to move the focus point from the base to the tip - yes, that means the depth of field is short, but you're not limited to purely flat surfaces. (If you've ever noticed that Lego bricks have the word LEGO on top of the studs? at 60x, the "GO" fills the field of view.) Fun for exploring things.

Flaws: the battery case barely fits the amazon AA rechargables I put in, not sure if I'll get them out without dismantling it; also, the tip (+ end) needs to go in first, that isn't labelled on the box or the device, and the LED flickers a bit when you first turn it on (but is steady once you're not touching the switch.) Other than that, it's OK.
on April 15, 2009
Got the item in 3 days from ordering with free shipping. Perfect for checking plant trichomes and close up examination of everything.
No complaints. Fits in your shirt pocket without getting lost, backpacks too.
on February 7, 2014
I wanted to keep this review brief lol

Pro: good for microscopic slides viewing(for medical doctors/pathologists) ON THE GO!!
I mean if you have to view something it will work but don't expect too much.

Cons: very cheaply built, the metal panels were detached in the box when I got it with adhesives all over the place. I put the plates back in but the quality was just so poor that I returned it.

Also unless you have something on a slide its not as easy to view as the product. As it is light weight the small particles that you try to view usually move here and there making it hard for you to observe them peacefully with detail.

I think look for another option, if you can.