5.0 out of 5 stars Very good tool for the money
Published on March 8, 2010 by E. Cojocaru

1.0 out of 5 stars for small watches
Published on May 21, 2011 by BBK

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good tool for the money, March 8, 2010
Very sturdy and well finished. Adjusting knobs are turning smoothly. The tool comes with 5 sets of different shapes with 3 pins each. The pins are screwed into the holders and therefore very stable. The max. opening between the 2 horizontal pins is 33 mm (1 and 1/4 in.) and the max. distance between a pin from the horizontal part and the one from the vertical part of the tool is 36 mm (1 and 7/16 in.) which makes it suitable for large diameter cases. The tool comes in a cardboard box, not very attractive, but who cares about the box?

1.0 out of 5 stars for small watches, May 21, 2011
I just got this wrench and it looks OK, BUT , it is too small and it can open only small watches !!!! the dimensions it can work on were not mentioned anywhere ! I have watch 46mm in size and this wrench is only half the size! So, now I must go through returning process and waste time and money ! Annoying! Simply stating the operating range would do the trick , but that was too much to ask !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product and pricing, June 25, 2010
al paciello (SYOSSET, NY, US) - See all my reviews
After going in some stores here on Long Island and finding out how much they wanted to change a battery, I had enough! My Dad was a jeweler and I had watched him remove the backside of these cases for years. As simple as taking a cap off a water bottle. So I made my purchase, here on Amazon at bought the JAXA watch case back opener.Right out of the box, with with no exchange of pin heads, I changed both batteries on 2 of my Tag Heuer watches in less than 5 minutes.
For the price of the tool and both batteries, I saved $[...] bucks ! Now, going forward, I will only need to buy batteries(which I also purchase on Amazon)I do have several other watches...Why did I get this tool before?.. By the way, did I mention, this is a sturdy tool..

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked Great on my Invicta Men's Dive Watch, June 30, 2010
Based on the pictures, these watch openers all looked very similar. This one seemed priced right compared to very similar looking openers. Mine did not arrive covered in oil. The four small screws and nuts holding the body together were a bit loose, but were easy to tighten with just my fingers. The additional tips are very secure in the box as the molded tray is a nice reasonably thick plastic. I was a bit concerned with other reviewers saying these openers may not be big enough for large men's watches, but the measurements given in other reviews indicated that the opener was easily big enough for my 40mm case since the opening notches on the case back are closer together than the outside diameter of the case. It took me more time to switch out the tips to the appropriate set than it did for me to loosen the case back. Worked like a charm. I'm very pleased with how this tool worked.

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfactory, November 30, 2009
It worked on my Seiko watch, which is always hard to open. I had to by a clamp to hold the watch, however.

2.0 out of 5 stars WatchCase Opener Review, September 1, 2011
I spent some time reviewing other products to find a good watch wrench case opener like I used as teenager in the jewelry department at KMart. I simply don't see how a jewelry store gets $20-$25 for changing a battery when I used to do it FREE at KMart. The construction of this tool is a bit loose. It does work but for one watch I needed to change the battery I had to go to the purchasing jeweler to get it changed out with a jewelry vice as the backplate was on super tight. The product will work best on watches that have good multiple spacing areas for the three studs to apply. Each stud type is cut well. It is actually the best feature for the product. Tighten the wrench assembly itself a bit more with a slightly longer handle and this would be much easier and better to remove even the tightest of watch backplates.

2.0 out of 5 stars incomplete, February 19, 2011
ROBERT CAPONIGRI (Homer Glen, IL USA) - See all my reviews
The wrench arrived with 11 inserts with various shapes(3 sets of 3 alternate shapes and 2 of 3 squared ones). The box stated it should have 15 (5 sets of 3). Of course the ones with the squared off shape which I needed for my watches there were only two of those. I was able to make it work with the two. Decent quality on the wrench but I was disappointed that I didn't get the full set. If one of the two squared ones breaks this will be useless to me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for the price, but tough to use, May 14, 2010
For the price it is fine, and will get the job done for the occasional need to open a caseback. It can be a bit difficult getting all three pins in symmetry when using. Also, be prepared as this comes excessively covered in a light oil that keeps it from rusting.

If you are planning on using this regularly or as a watch-smith, you can do better.

Good enough for the one-off / hobbyist.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, December 15, 2011
Pros: Wrench opened a Luminox watch.
Cons: Three of the bits for the wrench were missing. In addition the wrench appeared to be hastily assembled with all of the nuts holding the wrench together loose. In addition one wrench screw and nut were sitting in the box. Screw threads for the bits were also not well machined and were difficult to twist in the receptacles in the wrench.
I'm debating whether returning this item is worth the effort. This tool saved me about the same cost as a jeweler would charge to open the watch.

1.0 out of 5 stars It does not work., February 26, 2011
Don't waste your money. This does not work. It is too loose to take a case lid off a Seiko watch. Had to take to a jeweler to replace batteries. Real bummer!

Rate and Discover Movies