Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Price:$6.58+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on December 5, 2011
I bought this for use with some hobby electronics soldering. After reading the reviews I figured I knew what to expect and for a little over $6 shipped (gotta love Amazon Prime) I took the leap. Some people complained that it was not assembled and came without instructions. Mine was ready to go and completely assembled out of the box. Others complained that the magnifying glass rattled around with the parts and was scratched. Mine was wrapped in plastic and cardboard and as I said earlier, it was completely assembled. Others complained that it is "tippy", and I fully intended to mount it to a board and make a little portable soldering station. I don't find it "tippy" or uneven at all. For what I will use it for it is perfect. It totally exceeded my expectations given the reviews. I hope everyone else who orders this has the same experience I had. Maybe I'm lucky, and I'm sure there is some validity to the other reviewers complaints, but this is exactly what I had hoped for.
66 comments229 of 233 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2011
I love this little helping hand -- can't believe how handy it is. As a jewelry designer, it's a must have for holding bracelets while I add parts to it. The adjustable arms work perfectly so that I can customize to the size of the item I'm working on. I have found it just as helpful with necklaces, because of how wide I can adjust the clips. Also, the clips are quite strong, so no chance of anything falling off.

When it came in the mail, it was totally assembled, however, the nuts were so tight, I had to ask my other half to loosen them so I can move everything as I need. He fussed at me for spending so much money on another tool. He thought it cost between $30 and $50. He quit fussing when I told him how affordable it was. It is definitely worth the price.

In order to keep it from tipping over, I keep the magnifier toward the back to give it balance (that's all I use the magnifier for). That gives it enough weight to counter the weight of the jewelry I'm working on. I have a magnifying lamp that I use for better vision, so the magnifier serves no other purpose than for balance -- but it works perfectly. This tool has ended a lot of frustration, making my work much more enjoyable.

I'm planning to buy a second one so I can have two pieces in progress at the same time.
0Comment159 of 167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2012
My boyfriend and I have many crafty hobbies, he paints figures for Warhammer and Dungeons and dragons and I sew knit crochet and make jewelry and we both find this tool SUPER useful! It clasps onto things so that your fingers don't get as tired as they would if you had to hold a bead or a small miniature piece. and the magnifying glass makes it so that he can get into greater detail with his figures. The base is sturdy so it doesn't fall over easy and you know that your project is secure. I love this product. A must have for any Crafter!
66 comments89 of 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2012
Helping hands tend to get some flak in the eletronics community but they can be quite invaluable if you know how to use them. It helps to use two of them to hold the board. If you only use one then it tends to tip over. A second word of advice is to put a little heat shrink over the tips of the alligator clips. I find this helps them hold onto the board better while preventing the sharp edges of the clips from digging into the board.
44 comments137 of 148 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2013
Some reviewers of the SE MZ101B Helping Hands with Magnifying Glass have stated that the item was not assembled, and parts were rattling around the box, with the possibility of the magnifier getting scratched. Although the magnifier was not connected (everything else was assembled) I was happy to see it had a protective piece of cardboard wrapped around it. Assembly was simple, and the product worked better than I had expected. If you have a third grade education, ever used lincoln logs, or your brother had an Erector Set, you should be able to assemble this product. These were the best solders and wiring I've ever done, hands down, thanks to this product.

Not to mention, it looks really cool sitting around, like a cross between Edward Scissor hands and something Ichabod Crane would use in Sleepy Hollow. lol

Yes, I'd recommend this product to everyone I know.
review image review image review image
0Comment49 of 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2013
Great product for the price. The reviews were right about the base being small but it is heavy enough however to compensate for this people we need to think out of the box. To help resolve this I drilled two 1/4 holes at the bottom of each leg of the base. I then attached my new helping hand magnifier to a 9" by 9" board about 1/2'" thick and that did the trick. The larger wood base didn't allow for it to tip over. Allowed for me to spin/turn the base around if I wanted to and I just simply store it away with the base. Bam !!! problem fixed. I am trying to attach pictures so you can see it.

BTW this product is small it is not made to work on large proto boards but worth it.

review image review image review image
on May 1, 2009
Some assembly is required, but there are no directions. You have to figure it out from the pictures and looking at the pieces you have. But it's mostly assembled. Also, it was a bit "tippy" until I figued out to put the second to last "arm" on the glass forward and the last arm heading to the back. (This puts more weight to the front.)
22 comments68 of 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2012
I ordered this item even though it had some negative reviews because the picture looked like what I needed and I thought I would be able to figure out the assembly. As it turns out, the item I received didn't rattle as one reviewer had stated or need assembly as stated by another.

The unit I received was fully assembled and the magnifier was covered by two thin cardboard sheets and wrapped in plastic film. All in all, I am very pleased with the purchase. I hope others have as good an experience as I did.
0Comment39 of 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2009
This product has been extrememely helpful for my needs. I make jewelry at home. It holds the small pieces that I am working on and I can see the extrememly small pieces easily.

The glass is moveable and the helping hands are readily adjustable to fit the project. I can manuever the item as I need for it to be.
I love it, would reccommend it readily. Would not be with out mine.

Thanks So Much
0Comment46 of 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2015
My actual rating of this product is 5 stars, but I took away a star because the ad does not state up-front the most pertinent information about it that you can see at-a-glance, yet it is stated as the only literature that comes with it. My charge to the vendor, for the following secretarial work I do for fellow shoppers, is one star.

The included and only literature for this product, on the packaging, reads:

"-Glass lens diameter 2 1/2"
"-Magnification: 4x
"-The Magnifier, Clips and Joints Rotate 360 degrees
"-Nickel Plated"
"-Heavey Duty Base*
"-Unlimited uses...[etc., etc.]"

*[It's actually sturdy cast-iron, and easily a solid-enough platform so no clamp is necessary]

I ditto all the 5-star reviews about it seen here, hardly being able to believe something as nifty and adequately-built as this sets back me under a sawbuck -- and several ducats less than the proverbial "$9.99," at that.

It may not have the look and feel exactly like the expensive "fine Swiss craftsmanship," but a fine Swiss craftsman probably could build a watch with this if his other one were out at the cleaners.

Products like this being so cheap is why we should put no blame on ourselves, for being cheapskates, when we are ripped off by the occasional vendor, because we didn't read the reviews. Many times prices on Amazon really are true even when they are "too good to be true," and we do not "get what we paid for" -- we get more.
review image