Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: DIGITAL SECURITY CONTROLS DSC KIT495-1GCP01 ALEXOR DISTRIBUTED WIRELESS PANEL (3-1-1 PLUS GSM)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on May 1, 2012
The Alexor system is a UL Listed home security system, and like most (all?) other such systems, it's designed to be installed by professionals. This is not to suggest that a DIY-er can't install it, but you'll need to be prepared to learn a fair bit of alarm industry jargon to be successful. The kit includes everything you need to install the system except for wire from the transformer to the control panel--if you buy the wire by the foot at your local home improvement store, it will likely cost you a dollar or so. Everything else is included--batteries, mounting hardware, etc.

This is a fairly minimal kit, and that's by design--it includes three window/door sensors and one motion detector. You're expected to determine what else you'll need for your home and purchase additional sensors as appropriate. There's a wide range of door/window sensors, smoke/CO alarms, sensors for other conditions (temperature, flooding, and others), and other accessories (additional keypads, indoor and outdoor sirens, keyfobs, etc.) available to meet your needs--of course, the cost will add up as you add options.

This system is also designed to be professionally monitored by a monitoring service, and it includes a GSM module for cellular monitoring. Cellular monitoring can be had for around $20/month if you look around a bit. Don't expect this system to call your cell phone and inform you of alarms--it's not designed for that. You might be able to make it do this, but that's not the point of the system, and you'll be fighting its design.

Just as a data point, I'm fairly tech-savvy and familiar with home improvement, but little alarm experience. I've helped on the installation of one alarm system before (didn't do much with the hardware, but did most of the programming), but that's it. I installed this system yesterday afternoon in my apartment in about two hours, including mounting the panel, keypad, and 8 sensors (those included in the kit, three more window/door sensors, and one smoke alarm), and doing basic programming. This evening, I took another 20 minutes or so to set up zone labels (so the keypad will say "Front Door" instead of "Zone 01", for example). It isn't set up yet with my monitoring company--they'll call and walk me through that over the phone; it should take about 20 minutes on the phone with them to do that.
on September 12, 2010
I rarely write reviews but I thought that I should for this product. It arrived without parts needed for the installation and all the massive and confusing instruction booklets seem to gloss over how to wire it, etc. as if you were trained to do it. I have a technical degree so I would hope that it should be somewhat self explanatory to me... I even tried to find youtube videos but these also skip critical steps. I should never have bought this unit and now will have to deal with a return. I called the technical service number but the time when I am available is not when they provide support. Just one users experience.
44 comments|4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse