4.0 out of 5 stars Well-built and beautiful
I received my jewelry cabinet quickly and in excellent shape. The product was well-packaged and had no damage during shipment.

I find this cabinet well-constructed and made of quality materials. I can hang necklaces of varying lengths, mount rings in the velvet bars, and hang earrings in the multiple slots.

I give this cabinet a "4" instead of a "5"...
Published on March 15, 2010 by The Pen

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, crap mounting hardware
Published on December 28, 2011 by Joe

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-built and beautiful, March 15, 2010
The Pen (Greenville, NC) - See all my reviews

I give this cabinet a "4" instead of a "5" for the following reasons: I'm a little hesitant to hang post earrings in the cabinet for fear they will drop out. I don't find it particularly convenient to hang bracelets with certain kinds of clasps. The cabinet takes two strong people to mount on the wall; of course, it is also a plus that the cabinet is heavy and well-constructed.

For ease of mounting, I recommend these steps:
1)Roll out a piece of wrapping paper larger than the cabinet and turn it to the back side. Place the cabinet on top of the paper.
2) Trace the outline of the cabinet on the paper with a pencil or pen.
3) Remove the cabinet from the paper and cut out the outline of the cabinet.
4) Turn the cabinet to the back side and lay flat down. Be careful not to put pressure on the mirror.
5) Place the wrapping paper on top of the cabinet, being careful to match the edges exactly.
6) Punch holes through the wrapping paper where the mounting screws go.
7) Tape the wrapping paper template to the wall where you want to hang your cabinet. You now know exactly where the cabinet will be on the wall, and you can put your screws where the holes are in your wrapping paper template. Draw on the wall exactly where your screws need to be, or make starter holes if walls are plaster. Don't forget to put a small piece of tape on the wall to keep plaster from shattering.
8) Check to see that your top screw holes are level.
9) Have a second person so that one can hold the cabinet up (35 lbs.) and the other can put the screws in the wall.
10) Enjoy your new cabinet!

4.0 out of 5 stars Piece nice, but hanging materials a joke, March 19, 2010
C. Muhr (Littleton, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This is a wonderful piece to store jewelry especially if you don't have a lot of space or want to keep things more out of sight. The mirror feature makes it functional all the time.

However that being said the mounting screws and anchors are a joke. I would have given it 5 stars except for this issue. There are 3 screws and anchors and the company says to mount into a stud. At best you would get one screw in a stud and the anchors do not hold the weight for the other two screws. We ended up getting some heavy duty anchors and using them and it hung just fine. The idea is great, but they should have thought of how much weight was going on the wall and found a better mounting system!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great organization for your jewelry without taking up space, February 15, 2011
First let me say that I've been wanting some type of jewelry armoire for years... the last time I had anything to organize my jewelry, it had a pirouetting ballerina music box in it (I was about three years old). So, part of my enthusiasm for this product is a reflection of how desperately in need I was for a jewelry storage solution.

That said, I am absolutely in love with this wall-mounted jewelry armoire. I have amassed a decent number of earrings, necklaces, and bracelets over the years, and this armoire (surprisingly) holds just about all of them. Before I bought this, I kept my jewelry in various drawers with dividers. No matter how careful I was to keep necklaces separate, they became tangled almost instantly. I've broken necklaces because of this. So, it was a joy to see all my necklaces, bracelets, and earrings so very neatly hanging in a way that they can't possibly become tangled, and I can instantly see and pull out the one I want. The double hook section is great for sets that belong together.

A surprising benefit: A lot of the stray earrings I had that I thought had lost their match years ago, I discovered I still had both! In the process of organizing my jewelry, I also found three necklaces I thought I had lost, including my wedding-day pearls. I feel like I've won new jewelry! Of course, as I said, this would happen no matter what kind of jewelry armoire you use, but still, that has made it worth every penny already.

The armoire has far more ring storage than I could possibly ever use (I only have four rings, and I'm usually wearing two or three of them), so I use the ring storage area for smaller earrings. It works perfectly, but you have to make sure you push them securely in so they won't fall out.

By far, the most wonderful thing about this armoire is that it basically takes up no space at all. I put mine in my master closet behind the door, which was wasted space anyway (and now I have the bonus of a full-length mirror in the master closet!). This is the ideal piece for anyone with limited space. I actually have a fairly large bedroom and closet, but I still like the compactness of it.

When I write reviews, even overwhelmingly positive ones, I like to list any drawbacks... but with this armoire, I honestly can't think of any. The one thing that put me off initially was that the oak finish has a bit of faux distressing, including some random dark marks. When I first opened the box, I thought, "UGH"... but now that it's on the wall, it looks a lot better than I thought it would. I would probably buy it in cherry if I were buying it again. The oak goes well with my closet shelving, though, so I'm happy with it.

If you have a huge jewelry collection (e.g. hundreds of necklaces), this probably won't be enough storage for you. But if you have a normal-sized collection, this is the perfect amount of storage.

One tip for installing if you don't have someone who can hold it up while you drill the screws into the wall: I installed this by myself using a couple of large boxes. I stacked the boxes on the floor where I planned to install it, and set the armoire on top. The boxes held it perfectly still while I drilled it into place.

As other reviewers noted, the wall anchors that come with it are flimsy. I keep a supply of heavy-duty metal anchors from Home Depot because I never use the flimsy plastic anchors that come with things like this. I don't consider that a drawback, but be aware that you'll want to spend a dollar or two on heavy-duty anchors.

Bottom line: This is a fantastic, perfectly-sized, well-crafted way to storage all your jewelry. I've had mine for about a week now, and I find myself going into the closet, opening it, and just *staring* at it (what can I say, it's fun to see things well organized! LOL). I wish I'd had this years ago!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, crap mounting hardware, December 28, 2011
The only reason this product does not get 5 stars is because of the wall mounting hardware and instructions. The unit weights about 30 lbs and it's mounted by 3 screws in a triangle pattern. 3 SCREWS! This irritated me initially but I thought that they've sold more than one so this must work... WRONG! It took me forever to mark the wall with the screw pattern since the diagram in the instructions is wrong and hard to follow. There are two screws in the top of the unit and one in the bottom. The two screws in the top are 9.7" apart and the one at the bottom is 44.2" down and in the middle of the top two. Who uses 9.7" and 44.2" as a measurement! Apparently the Chinese since this is where the unit was manufactured. Anyways, after measuring, re-measuring, drinking a beer, re-re-measuring and marking, I drilled the pilot holes for the drywall anchors that are not worth the ink I put on wall to mark their location. Also, the screws that come with the unit are about 2" long and have very fine thread. That gives you about 1-1/8" of grip in the one stud you can anchor to, which I also feel is inadequate. I held the unit on the wall and my wife put in the screws. As I began to let go of the unit, the two screws that were not in a stud (in the crappy wall anchors) immediately got pulled out of the wall. So I used the industrial drywall anchor kit at home that I used to securely mount the unit on the wall and I also replaced the stud anchored screw with a 3" drywall screw and it seems to be holding up so far. We did remove the door latch though because it does take some strength to pull the door open. The door is heavy enough, and if you mount it level, that the latch is not necessary.

All in all this is a great looking, sturdy and heavy wall mounted jewelry box. I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind spending a few extra bucks on an industrial drywall mounting kit. If you have enough forethought, I would definitely recommend adding some additional blocking inside the wall so you can use it as intended. Something I'll probably be doing very soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!, August 1, 2008
D. Caine (On the Maryland shores) - See all my reviews
This jewelry cabinet exceeded my expectations. It is well-constructed and quite a sturdy piece. It comes with two screws and those plastic wall anchors. It's heavy and will require 2 people to hang it, so if you're not mounting it in a wall stud, then I'd recommend using a sturdier wall anchor made of metal to ensure your purchase doesn't end up on the floor.

Even though I was aware that it was 48" tall, it was taller than I expected when I saw it in person. It's not too big, just bigger than I had imagined. The inside is lined with felt and is well-done. The cabinet locks if you desire to lock it. The mirror is nicely beveled. It holds many necklaces, rings, dangle earrings, and has a divided tray that sits in the bottom for small earrings and such. Overall, the jewelry cabinet is well-made and sturdy. I was definitely pleased with the purchase.

You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful addition to our bedroom!, April 16, 2012
We just got our SEI armoire, which was packaged very well as there was a 4 inch cut in one edge from being dropped, but the item was untouched! We installed it in about 5 minutes and my wife LOVES it. It is a beuatiful darker walnut color but is fits right in with our dark cherry bedrood set.

I am a woodworker and honestly, I could have made one just as good, but it would have cost me at least $200 in walnut, $50 in felt and other hardware, $50 for the beveled mirror and taken me a week to build. THIS IS A WELL MADE AND ATTRACTIVE ITEM FOR A GREAT PRICE!!

The mounting hardware, (screws and anchors), were lacking, so I used the screw-in sheet rock anchors that usually cost about $3. I really can't say how impressed I was for an item that is solid wood, not cheap particle board or veneer, and is so well made. Yes there are a few little 'character' marks in it, but it is really is nice. I just ordered two more for our daughters!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Built!, March 1, 2012
This review is from: SEI Wall-Mount Jewelry Mirror, Cherry (Kitchen)
The jewelry case is heavier and better made than I thought, even after reading the reviews. I love it.

Hanging
I agree with the other reviews that the anchors that come with it don't seem to be sufficient for the weight so I used some extra anchors I had in the tool box. It seems very secure even though I did not drill any additional holes in the case as some other reviewers have have done and I did not put the anchors into studs, just drywall. The case is heavy and definately takes 2 people to put up. We should have used a power tool to reduce the tired arms holding the case up while the other one put the screws in, but the battery way dead and I was too anxious to put the case up to wait for it to charge. :)

Storage
I picked this case because it has plenty of space for long and/or bulky necklaces and hook earings. The case did not disappoint. This is not a good case if you are looking to store a lot of post earrings. Another review had said somthing about putting their post earings in the earig slots. Out of curiosity I tried that but it made really nervous. It is really easy to knock them out of the little slot, but hook earings seem secure. I think the only decent choice would be to toss them in the removable tray at the bottom of the case, but I find that kinda low. I keep all my post earings in my old small jewlry box on my dresser, which I find to be a better height.

Smell
The case interior had a very strong, very industrial smell when it arrived. I put a couple shot glasses in teh bottom with baking soda in them in the bottom of the case and the smell was mostly gone after a couple days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!, October 24, 2008
I was very hesitant to order something without physically seeing it. When it got to my house, I was so pleased. It was bigger than I had imagined and I had to make a new place for it, but once I got it mounted and started filling it, I was extremely pleased. It fits just about everyting. There is not a lot of room for bracelets and the screw post earrings I inherited do not fit on the earring bar. I would still recommend this item very much.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Piece with Terrible Quality, January 25, 2011
Jen (Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SEI Wall-Mount Jewelry Mirror, Cherry (Kitchen)
This review pains me to write because I love this piece...unfortunately it's just that the quality is absolutely terrible. When I opened the box the first time, all around the lock mechanism there was excess glue globbed on. I contacted the SEI customer service group (phone number on directions) and was told to "use some type of glue remover to see if it comes off." Really? So I did as instructed and had little success. I called the customer service again and was told they would send me a new outer frame. When I received the frame I spent upwards of an hour swapping out the old frame, only to find out the new frame was not square to the mirror. There was about a 1/4" difference from side to side and since this is a beveled mirror it was painfully obvious. On this call to customer service I was told to "measure the new frame so we can cut a mirror to it." Whaaat?!? I said I would rather just receive a frame with the mirror already installed and fortunately they were open to that. So when I got the part I was pleased to see the mirror looking good but there were a host of new (and already witnessed) quality issues: glue around lock (less so I was able to remove it), crooked lock (break the glue seal and turn it with a socket), cracked earring holder, excess glue in ring holder, warped door frame, and generally dirty. Unfortunately all of this is hardly an exaggeration!

All said, I love the appearance but don't expect a flawless piece with superior craftsmanship. The quality was terrible and for it to take almost a month before I could hang it on my wall is embarrassing. If you purchase one, hopefully your luck is much better!

3.0 out of 5 stars Like it but it needs improvements, October 6, 2010
I like this item overall, but there are a few things that I find problematic. First, I needed to replace the hinges because the door doesn't swing open all the way (it opens 90 degrees and I replaced it with hinges that open 170 degrees). Without it opening wide, it was hard to see my jewelry and it felt sort of dark. Now that it swings wide, it's much improved. When you're spending this much money, it seems like you shouldn't have to spend more on hinges, but so be it. My other issue is that there are no deeper hooks for chunkier bracelets so I can't keep all my jewelry in here which, again, is sort of a bummer given how expensive this item is.

SEI Wall-Mount Jewelry Mirror, Cherry