4.0 out of 5 stars Good product for the money
This is probably one of the better fan controllers on the market, considering 90% of the fan controllers on the market are terrible. For 28 bucks, this is a pretty good deal. Ill break down the good and bad below:
Pro's:
Published on December 21, 2009 by Nick K

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Manufacturing and Quality Control
Published on February 6, 2011 by K. Pacheco

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product for the money, December 21, 2009
This review is from: NZXT SENTRY 2 Accessories 5.25-Inch Touch Screen Fan Controller (Black) (Personal Computers)
Pro's:
-good price
-works fine
-lcd is cool to look at
-controls all my fans perfectly
-temp is more or less accurate
-Easy to install/use
Con's:
-Creates a huge mess of wires
-Wires are superglued to controller, so when taking it out, u have to take out all the temp sensors as well.
-Bad instruction manual, luckily it was fairly straightfoward anyways.
-BEWARE! THE COOLERMASTER FAN AMAZON SAYS IS FREQUENTLY BOUGHT WITH THIS PRODUCT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THIS FAN CONTROLLER!
It didn't work for me, or anyone else I have talked to. im pretty disappointed that amazon did not recognize that.
-Hasn't happened to me, but ive read lots of reports of screen breaking, and cust. serv. is a huge run around.

Like I said, for 28 bucks, this is a great deal. If it were $40, I would get something else, probably not w/ lcd. This controller is pretty much hit or miss, so good luck if you choose to buy it. If you get one that functions, then it ends up being a very useful and quality product. If not, then you're screwed.
-Nick

5.0 out of 5 stars Really slows fans down and reduces fan noise. Good quality., March 21, 2012
M. Lam (California, USA) - See all my reviews
Bought this because my 5 120mm case fans running at 100% was too loud and unnecessary for normal computer use. It is perfect!

Pros:
- Unlike most 5.25" bay manual fan controllers out there, it actually has 4 places you can screw it down into the bay so that it is nice and stable.
- One 4-pin Molex plugs into the cable from your power supply and there are five 3-pin female fan connectors to plug into. Very logical.
- Wires are long enough to make it around my mid-tower case wherever I want them to go. Might not be long enough for large cases though.
- Has a nice look and feel to it. The sliders move slowly and firmly, which is good. The black mesh matches my Cooler Master Elite 430 case.
- At the minimum 40% setting, my fans spin slowly and quietly. At the max setting, the fans are 100%. I like that I can control each individual fan.

Cons:
- The 4-pin Molex only has one of the grounds connected to an actual wire. NZXT cheaped out and neglected to provide a fourth wire to connect the second ground pinout so they could simply run three wires. Lame.
- Also the white LED doesn't tell you anything but is so bright that it bleeds through to the two sliders on the right closest to it. If you're picky about that sort of stuff, you'd have to block it off somehow.

Overall an excellent buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all the way with NO problems., March 8, 2010
Pricepal "pricepal" (my own little world) - See all my reviews
As far as the 3 pin connector issue presented by other reviewers.

I have bought 8 of these in the last 6 months and EVERY fan connector comes with a 3 to 4 pin adapter so its no problem there.

Another review complained that there are "too many wires".

Some people should not be building computers if they cannot take the time to route and secure wires.

As far as operation goes, all of my builds have been hassle free, everything working fine.

I never hook the cpu fan to this, always to the motherboard, that way if something happens to this controller, the mobo will continue to operate the cpu fan.

Leave plenty of the wire tucked in behind the controller, that way when you need to pull it to change the battery, you will not have to unhook anything, just change the battery and put the controller back in place. Its much easier if you have a second pair of hands available when changing the battery.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Manufacturing and Quality Control, February 6, 2011
I've been a big fan of NZXT products since 2004, and have always felt their products are well made. This controller got great reviews in the beginning, but the complaints started to roll in around mid-2010. This was concern and hoped NZXT would have resolved their manufacturing issues, but that wasn't my experience. When the product arrived, the appearance was absolutely beautiful. This was the best looking bay fan controller on the market. Further analysis of the construction showed very cheap manufacturing processes and no quality control. The two most obvious flaws were the transistors (not just one, but several of them) we not properly soldered to the board and the hot glue mess to secure the fan controller/thermal leads to their sockets. I took a chance and spent a good hour or so running the leads and probes. Maybe this product could still impress me.

Upon powering up, I noticed the screen had dead pixels, and visibility hard to make out any of the readings. If you were to look at the screen straight on everything comes in focus. If there's any interference from light or you look at this from even a slight angle many elements become visibly hard to make out. Moving past this, the controller functionality was faulty as well. All 5 3 pin fans are running and visible on screen, but 2 of them failed to register the RPM's. Some things I can deal with, but it was clear that this product was poorly made. Maybe not when first released and reviewed by many, but sometime down the road, NZXT went to a cheaper vendor or cheaper manufacturing processes.

Needless to say, I would not be recommending this product. I expect better workmanship from high dollar product such as this.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a great product!, November 24, 2010
The NZXT SENTRY 2 Accessories 5.25-Inch Touch Screen Fan Controller was the simplest of solutions to my fan problems. I have the Cooler Master Centurion Case which has 6 fans and my motherboard only allows me to control the speed of two of these fans. The rest of the fans were just going at 100% rpm. You could literally hear my pc from downstairs. I now have 4 Thermaltake "Tt" 120mm fans from RadioShack wired to this fan controller and it works great. Dropping the fans to the lowest setting limit of 40% has virtually eliminated fan noise(as much as you can with 6 fans).The fan at the rear of my case and the fan at the front of my case are both controlled via my motherboard so I did not have any need to hook them up to the controller. You might also want to not that in this situation I had no need for the thermal probes. I left them wrapped in tape in the bay. My EVGA GTX 460 came with software to monitor its temp and so did my motherboard for the processor. I was no worried about fans kicking on or off at certain temps. I simply wanted a way to turn the fans off when not gaming or in the very least lower the rpm's significantly, I would say 60% is significant. This fan controller was the perfect solution. You might also note that the controller does not have a setting between 0% and 40% which could be a problem in certain situations. Fortunately for me, my fans at 40% are still relatively quiet. Once gaming I can't hear my system over my speakers anyways. When I'm not gaming the fans are obviously set to 0% because the extra air movement is not required. With that being said, this product met my expectations quite nicely. As far as those of you who have not yet purchased it, you might notice these points of interest:
PROS
-Packaged Nicely for safe transport.
-Package Contained all necessary contents (cables + zip tie + mounting hardware + instruction set)
*** All though I read before purchasing that the instructions were not great, I found at no point the need to even look at them ***
-The Navigation of the fan controller is very straight forward.
-Adds a sharp look to any case
-Worked out of the box with no need to return. Always a plus!
-Shipped via Amazon Prime and it was here in 2 days! Thank You again Amazon!

CONS
-I did notice just for fun I hooked up all my fans, that some fans are not supported.(could be a problem for some, I found that for these fans, using my motherboard and bios settings I can keep those fans nicely monitored)

I would not hesitate to buy such a nice looking, functional and affordable fan controller. I am convinced you would find a better deal for a controller of up to 5 fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive and Works Just Fine, November 29, 2011
There's not much more to be said other than that it works just fine, especially for the price. I bought this because the fan headers on my Gigabyte Z68 motherboard were awkwardly placed and too few in number for the fan set-up I planned to use. This controller is easy to install and has cables that are plenty long enough, which allowed me to connect the fans and then tuck the wiring neatly out of sight. The cables are also sleeved in black, if that matters to you. The build quality is good enough - it seats just fine in the drive bay and the sliders themselves do not seem to be flimsy at all. The mesh is a close but not perfect match to the mesh on the front of my Thermaltake case - not that you can tell more than a few feet away.

5.0 out of 5 stars NZXT Sentry 2 - Very nice unit!, August 21, 2010
The Sentry 2 is easy on the eyes, but (was - see UPDATE below) hard on the ears. Speculation is they've skimped on parts, inadequate filtering. It appears they control voltage by a simple PWM scheme, voltage on/off rapidly. This creates an audible and extremely annoying buzz on most fans you connect it to. As a result, the fans are noisier than if you just connect them to a standard fan connector and let them run full speed. Google "sentry 2 nzxt fan noise" or "sentry 2 nzxt fan buzz" if you want to read the threads. NZXT claims to be working on it - I bought mine in July, still has the problem. Unfortunately I didn't pursue this right away, and my return period has now expired :( I'll contact NZXT to see if I can get it replaced, but the threads seem to indicate they aren't very cooperative.

UPDATE: NZXT was quite cooperative with me. It took them some months for them to fix the problem and get units into production, but once they did I got a replacement from NZXT at no cost. They've added capacitors, and now my fans are "noiseless" as expected. Unit works very nicely now - excellent fan controller. I'm assuming they've permanently worked out this bug so I've upped this to a 5-star rating. I should have updated this review a while ago - forgot, sorry...

4.0 out of 5 stars NXT Sentry LX, February 18, 2010
Installed easily, no battery problems @ 1 month. 3-wire fans are a must. Am running 4 fans on Auto, usually 700 to 1000 rpm. Switch to Maual when doing heavy stuff...fans set @ 1,400 rpm. Works great, alarm sounds very rarely. Contrary to most reviews, quite happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works good for me ..., June 8, 2012
S.L. (Sic Semper Tyrannis) - See all my reviews
I've been using this fan controller for well over a year and have had no trouble with it at all. It's part of a high-end custom build.

The computer has 5 fans controlled by motherboard headers and 5 fans controlled by this device. The motherboard is an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX with "thermal radar" fan controls built in, CPU is an AMD FX8150 "Bulldozer" octocore. Everything is mounted in a Cooler Master 932 HAF case which has 3x240mm fans factory installed. CPU cooling is provided by a Corsair H70 water cooler with Delta fans in a push/pull configuration on the radiator.

Those Delta fans can get VERY loud at full power (3500 RPM @ 100+ CFM) and that is one of the main reasons I wanted a fan controller like this. @ 2000-2200 RPM they are nearly silent. This controller is very easy to adjust to get the performance you need without noise you don't need but still ramp up the fan RPMs when you really need the cooling power. The computer has a fairly serious overclock @ 4.0 GHz with a 4.6 GHz turbo. This works great BUT the VRMs tend to overheat (not the CPU) so I had to custom mod some smaller fans. I put a fan on the VRM heatsink, the RAM, and the North Bridge heatsink. The pump for the water cooling is on the motherboard CPU header, being a pump it needs to be at max. RPM constantly, CPU temp is controlled by the radiator fans.

I have the temp sensors strategically installed to run the fans. Here's my configuration-

TEMPS (Left side of controller) Fans (Right side of controller)

North Bridge Heatsink (110 F.) North Bridge Heatsink (2700 RPM)
RAM (105 F.) RAM (2000 RPM)
VRMs (Voltage Regulator Modules) (105 F.) VRMs (2000 RPM)
South Bridge Heatsink (125 F.) Radiator PUSH (2200 RPM Delta fan)
Radiator (105 F.) Radiator PULL (2000 RPM Delta fan)

At normal 24/7 operation the temps are set so that the fans are all cooling but quiet. When the temps approach the settings noted above they begin to ramp up the fan RPMs until the temps come back down below the set temperature. For a boost of cooling I switch the controller from manual to auto which at these settings boosts fan RPMs immediately to 25% and up MORE RPMs and then continues to ramp up the RPMS as things get hotter until all the fans are at 100% and max cooling is attained. Max cooling/RPMs NEVER happens with this configuration. The CPU idles at 100 F (38 C) and will climb to no higher than 122 F (50 C) under max load stress testing with AOD and Prime95.

This fan controller is perfect for my purposes and has worked flawlessly since it was installed over a year ago on a different motherboard/cpu which was recently upgraded to the Sabertooth 990FX/FX8150 current configuration. This system is on 24/7/365 and the controller is on when the system is on. I have had no problems with mine at all functionality-wise.

The controller board that goes in the case wants to occupy a card slot but all my slots have actual cards in them so I mounted it elsewhere in the case and ran the cable out under a mounted card with a rubber grommet to keep it from chafing. Though it is meant to mount in a card slot in the back of the case it doesn't actually require a PCI slot on the motherboard, that's just how it's designed to mount and it doesn't use the motherboard at all so you can mod it to mount where ever you want to put it as long as you can run the cable to the outside of the case.

The cable is plenty long enough to reach the top of my desk with plenty of slack to spare, rolling the computer in and out from under the desk is no problem, plenty of slack.

Having the fan controller on my desk instead of mounted in the case is why I bought this particular model. ALL my external drive bays are full with card reader, 3.0 USB, external SATA drive bays and DVD burners so I didn't want to take up real estate in my case with a fan controller mounted in the 5.25 drive bays. Sitting on my desk makes it a lot easier to read than a case mounted controller, the viewing angle on a case mounted controller can require some contortions to get down where it can be read, this obviates that problem. A glance at the controller sitting in front of my keyboard is all that's needed to monitor fans and temps. And it looks VERY high tech and cool also :)

I cannot speak for the other very negative reviews of this item but for my experience this is a very good compliment to a high-end expensive computer and a great way to keep track of what those high-end expensive parts are doing temperature-wise. If I need one I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one of these based on my personal experience.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does Not Work with Cool Master., September 8, 2009
T. Johnston (Lafayette, Indiana United States) - See all my reviews
I installed this in my antec 300 to slow down 2 case fans that I added to the front of the case. It turns on the leds in the fans, but they do not move. The fans are 120mm cool master blue led fans. It does control the 2 antec tri cool case fans.
Also, the display does not turn off when you turn off the computer. You have to manually turn off the display.
Installation was easy, display looks great, the touch screen responds good. If it worked with all my fans, I would be happy with it. Since it doesn't, I have returned it.