Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

Style Name: Sentry 2 Touch Screen Fan Controller|Change

on March 21, 2012
Bought this because my 5 120mm case fans running at 100% was too loud and unnecessary for normal computer use. It is perfect!

Pros:
- Unlike most 5.25" bay manual fan controllers out there, it actually has 4 places you can screw it down into the bay so that it is nice and stable.
- One 4-pin Molex plugs into the cable from your power supply and there are five 3-pin female fan connectors to plug into. Very logical.
- Wires are long enough to make it around my mid-tower case wherever I want them to go. Might not be long enough for large cases though.
- Has a nice look and feel to it. The sliders move slowly and firmly, which is good. The black mesh matches my Cooler Master Elite 430 case.
- At the minimum 40% setting, my fans spin slowly and quietly. At the max setting, the fans are 100%. I like that I can control each individual fan.

Cons:
- The 4-pin Molex only has one of the grounds connected to an actual wire. NZXT cheaped out and neglected to provide a fourth wire to connect the second ground pinout so they could simply run three wires. Lame.
- Also the white LED doesn't tell you anything but is so bright that it bleeds through to the two sliders on the right closest to it. If you're picky about that sort of stuff, you'd have to block it off somehow.

Overall an excellent buy!
on December 21, 2009
This is probably one of the better fan controllers on the market, considering 90% of the fan controllers on the market are terrible. For 28 bucks, this is a pretty good deal. Ill break down the good and bad below:
Pro's:
-good price
-works fine
-lcd is cool to look at
-controls all my fans perfectly
-temp is more or less accurate
-Easy to install/use
Con's:
-Creates a huge mess of wires
-Wires are superglued to controller, so when taking it out, u have to take out all the temp sensors as well.
-Bad instruction manual, luckily it was fairly straightfoward anyways.
-BEWARE! THE COOLERMASTER FAN AMAZON SAYS IS FREQUENTLY BOUGHT WITH THIS PRODUCT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THIS FAN CONTROLLER!
It didn't work for me, or anyone else I have talked to. im pretty disappointed that amazon did not recognize that.
-Hasn't happened to me, but ive read lots of reports of screen breaking, and cust. serv. is a huge run around.

Like I said, for 28 bucks, this is a great deal. If it were $40, I would get something else, probably not w/ lcd. This controller is pretty much hit or miss, so good luck if you choose to buy it. If you get one that functions, then it ends up being a very useful and quality product. If not, then you're screwed.
-Nick
77 comments|113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2010
As far as the 3 pin connector issue presented by other reviewers.

I have bought 8 of these in the last 6 months and EVERY fan connector comes with a 3 to 4 pin adapter so its no problem there.

Another review complained that there are "too many wires".

Some people should not be building computers if they cannot take the time to route and secure wires.

As far as operation goes, all of my builds have been hassle free, everything working fine.

I never hook the cpu fan to this, always to the motherboard, that way if something happens to this controller, the mobo will continue to operate the cpu fan.

Leave plenty of the wire tucked in behind the controller, that way when you need to pull it to change the battery, you will not have to unhook anything, just change the battery and put the controller back in place. Its much easier if you have a second pair of hands available when changing the battery.
33 comments|34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2012
I've been using this fan controller for well over a year and have had no trouble with it at all. It's part of a high-end custom build.

The computer has 5 fans controlled by motherboard headers and 5 fans controlled by this device. The motherboard is an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX with "thermal radar" fan controls built in, CPU is an AMD FX8150 "Bulldozer" octocore. Everything is mounted in a Cooler Master 932 HAF case which has 3x240mm fans factory installed. CPU cooling is provided by a Corsair H70 water cooler with Delta fans in a push/pull configuration on the radiator.

Those Delta fans can get VERY loud at full power (3500 RPM @ 100+ CFM) and that is one of the main reasons I wanted a fan controller like this. @ 2000-2200 RPM they are nearly silent. This controller is very easy to adjust to get the performance you need without noise you don't need but still ramp up the fan RPMs when you really need the cooling power. The computer has a fairly serious overclock @ 4.0 GHz with a 4.6 GHz turbo. This works great BUT the VRMs tend to overheat (not the CPU) so I had to custom mod some smaller fans. I put a fan on the VRM heatsink, the RAM, and the North Bridge heatsink. The pump for the water cooling is on the motherboard CPU header, being a pump it needs to be at max. RPM constantly, CPU temp is controlled by the radiator fans.

I have the temp sensors strategically installed to run the fans. Here's my configuration-

TEMPS (Left side of controller) Fans (Right side of controller)

North Bridge Heatsink (110 F.) North Bridge Heatsink (2700 RPM)
RAM (105 F.) RAM (2000 RPM)
VRMs (Voltage Regulator Modules) (105 F.) VRMs (2000 RPM)
South Bridge Heatsink (125 F.) Radiator PUSH (2200 RPM Delta fan)
Radiator (105 F.) Radiator PULL (2000 RPM Delta fan)

At normal 24/7 operation the temps are set so that the fans are all cooling but quiet. When the temps approach the settings noted above they begin to ramp up the fan RPMs until the temps come back down below the set temperature. For a boost of cooling I switch the controller from manual to auto which at these settings boosts fan RPMs immediately to 25% and up MORE RPMs and then continues to ramp up the RPMS as things get hotter until all the fans are at 100% and max cooling is attained. Max cooling/RPMs NEVER happens with this configuration. The CPU idles at 100 F (38 C) and will climb to no higher than 122 F (50 C) under max load stress testing with AOD and Prime95.

This fan controller is perfect for my purposes and has worked flawlessly since it was installed over a year ago on a different motherboard/cpu which was recently upgraded to the Sabertooth 990FX/FX8150 current configuration. This system is on 24/7/365 and the controller is on when the system is on. I have had no problems with mine at all functionality-wise.

The controller board that goes in the case wants to occupy a card slot but all my slots have actual cards in them so I mounted it elsewhere in the case and ran the cable out under a mounted card with a rubber grommet to keep it from chafing. Though it is meant to mount in a card slot in the back of the case it doesn't actually require a PCI slot on the motherboard, that's just how it's designed to mount and it doesn't use the motherboard at all so you can mod it to mount where ever you want to put it as long as you can run the cable to the outside of the case.

The cable is plenty long enough to reach the top of my desk with plenty of slack to spare, rolling the computer in and out from under the desk is no problem, plenty of slack.

Having the fan controller on my desk instead of mounted in the case is why I bought this particular model. ALL my external drive bays are full with card reader, 3.0 USB, external SATA drive bays and DVD burners so I didn't want to take up real estate in my case with a fan controller mounted in the 5.25 drive bays. Sitting on my desk makes it a lot easier to read than a case mounted controller, the viewing angle on a case mounted controller can require some contortions to get down where it can be read, this obviates that problem. A glance at the controller sitting in front of my keyboard is all that's needed to monitor fans and temps. And it looks VERY high tech and cool also :)

I cannot speak for the other very negative reviews of this item but for my experience this is a very good compliment to a high-end expensive computer and a great way to keep track of what those high-end expensive parts are doing temperature-wise. If I need one I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one of these based on my personal experience.
on December 28, 2014
I just finished putting together a new system based around a core of NZXT products (case, cooler, fan control, etc) because the components had impressive features, the reviews were good and, coming from the same company, I expected the pieces to work well together. To my surprise and disappointment, every single product that I used from NZXT had moderate to significant flaws in design or execution. Either the product wasn't well thought out - features that looked good on paper didn't work as you'd expect - or the product was poorly made - software worked badly, pieces were flimsy or components were of low quality. While on paper their products may hit all the check marks when it comes to features, I can't say I could recommend any of the pieces that I had experience with and I have my doubts about NZXT's portrayal as a top-tier company focused on innovation and quality.

In this case, the design behind the fan controller is pretty good - the layout is clear and intuitive, the functions are flexible and the form factor is perfect for most cases. The touch screen isn't the best (don't expect mobile phone responsiveness to the touch here) but it's fine for the intended use; how often to you plan on adjusting your fan speeds up and down? Some of the touch spots are far away from where you'd expect; having to press a half-inch to the right of the speed profile icons doesn't make sense and for the longest time I thought that feature was broken (especially since the other touch spots seem pretty accurate)

There's a lot of flexibility in the design - you can see fan speed as RPM or as a percentage, there are two ways to adjust fan speed (up/down arrows or by the slider bar) and you can use different profiles (silence, performance and custom). Unfortunately, as seems to be a common theme with NZXT, documentation is somewhere between poor and nonexistent. There's a cursory walkthrough but they don't do a good job of explaining the various functions and you're left on your own to figure things out - fortunately it's not that complicated.

But the Achilles heel, the thing that makes this a useless piece of junk, is the LCD display. Viewed dead-on from the front the segments are all hazy and half-lit. Look at it from 45 degrees to the side and it looks as if the unit isn't turned on. (The photo for this product must have been Photoshopped because from that angle, below and to the left, the screen is terrible) The only good viewing angle I found was dead on and either 20 degrees above or below face of the display. From that angle it's sharp, clear and colorful but from any other the display is difficult to read and completely unacceptable.
on May 30, 2015
Purchased this unit as the integrated controller on my cabinet started acting up.

Had a very spesific need for a 5 1/4 bay unit, it had to be small enough since I already had 3.5" HDDs in 2 of my bays, and 2x SSDs (in one 3.5" to 2x 2.5" tray with 5 1/4 adapter (did you get all that? ;) ))

Looked at several units, and they were either too big, or looked too cheap.

This one looked to fit my need perfectly, and it did. Screwholes matched up perfectly on both this unit and the HDD tray behind it, securing everything in Place. Cables routed to the side of the drive and through one of the grommets to the cable management area.

Only issue I had with the device, is that the molex cable would not connect with my molex cable from PSU. Seemed like the pins were bent or too big or something. But that was a quick fix by cutting the cables and attaching a new molex which I had lying around.

Powered up like it was supposed to, and all fans work without a hitch.

If I was going to nitpick, it would be that some light escapes from the gap in the bay front..
review image
on February 6, 2011
I've been a big fan of NZXT products since 2004, and have always felt their products are well made. This controller got great reviews in the beginning, but the complaints started to roll in around mid-2010. This was concern and hoped NZXT would have resolved their manufacturing issues, but that wasn't my experience. When the product arrived, the appearance was absolutely beautiful. This was the best looking bay fan controller on the market. Further analysis of the construction showed very cheap manufacturing processes and no quality control. The two most obvious flaws were the transistors (not just one, but several of them) we not properly soldered to the board and the hot glue mess to secure the fan controller/thermal leads to their sockets. I took a chance and spent a good hour or so running the leads and probes. Maybe this product could still impress me.

Upon powering up, I noticed the screen had dead pixels, and visibility hard to make out any of the readings. If you were to look at the screen straight on everything comes in focus. If there's any interference from light or you look at this from even a slight angle many elements become visibly hard to make out. Moving past this, the controller functionality was faulty as well. All 5 3 pin fans are running and visible on screen, but 2 of them failed to register the RPM's. Some things I can deal with, but it was clear that this product was poorly made. Maybe not when first released and reviewed by many, but sometime down the road, NZXT went to a cheaper vendor or cheaper manufacturing processes.

Needless to say, I would not be recommending this product. I expect better workmanship from high dollar product such as this.
44 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2011
There's not much more to be said other than that it works just fine, especially for the price. I bought this because the fan headers on my Gigabyte Z68 motherboard were awkwardly placed and too few in number for the fan set-up I planned to use. This controller is easy to install and has cables that are plenty long enough, which allowed me to connect the fans and then tuck the wiring neatly out of sight. The cables are also sleeved in black, if that matters to you. The build quality is good enough - it seats just fine in the drive bay and the sliders themselves do not seem to be flimsy at all. The mesh is a close but not perfect match to the mesh on the front of my Thermaltake case - not that you can tell more than a few feet away.
on April 18, 2012
This fan controller is the perfect addition to any desktop comp. I purchased this to control 2 front panel case fans in my Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case and it works like a charm. Initially, I was going to connect the fans directly to my power supply but after I heard how loud the fans were connected that way I decided to go with the NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller and I'm glad I did. Setup was fast and easy and the unit is solid, once in your computer case. The front on the controller is made of metal and the surrounding parts are made of plastic. All the fan wires are numbered 1-5 so there's no need trace cables to figure out what's connected to what. The controller DOES NOT turn your fans off, only has a "low" output (slider all the way down). So you will always have cool air circulating. On the low setting I really can't hear an increase in sound and on "high" (slider all the way up) there's an increase in sound but it's not roaring. NOTE: Fans connect to the controller by 3 pin and power is supplied by a molex connector. There is a single white light (always on) on the right side of the fan controller but imo it's not bright enough to be a distraction. Now you can go with a touch screen controller if you like but, when the screen goes out...you'll wish you bought this one, I'm just saying!
review image
on September 28, 2010
Just installed controller yesterday and needless to say this works with all 5 of my case fans. I have a Radimax Smilodon tooless case. Only problem was that I was able to use one of the screws to secure right side of controller but left side I had to put a piece of small plastic behind the controller(in a slot in the bay)then use some thick tape to secure the controller in order for it not to move when I tap the controller screen. Those that have a tooless case may have to improvise to make controller secure!

All my fans(Antec 4 80mm and 1 120 mm)work flawless with the controller from 40 to 100 speeds. So, if you use Antec fans you should not have a problem with buzzing or other noises from your fans. I have no need to go high performance fans(then you probaly will encounter fan noise. Some fans are not compatible with this controller as it has been stated). Also, instructions are lacking to set up controller in detail! Used sensors for HDD, GPU, Heatsink( placed sensor on HS). Again, no problems with the fans that are in my rig!

Downside is that their are so many wires and that can be a hassle for case management. Took me about one hour to route wires to fans and hide them etc. Just need to have a free drive bay to hide as much as one can! Otherwise, this controller has made my rig quiet for small task as surfing the Net or using MS Word etc. When I game, then I can kick up the fans 100% etc. Great product that works for ME "so far"!!! Good luck!!!!
review image review image