Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc blink-182 Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Style Name: Sentry 2 Touch Screen Fan Controller|Change

on March 21, 2012
Bought this because my 5 120mm case fans running at 100% was too loud and unnecessary for normal computer use. It is perfect!

Pros:
- Unlike most 5.25" bay manual fan controllers out there, it actually has 4 places you can screw it down into the bay so that it is nice and stable.
- One 4-pin Molex plugs into the cable from your power supply and there are five 3-pin female fan connectors to plug into. Very logical.
- Wires are long enough to make it around my mid-tower case wherever I want them to go. Might not be long enough for large cases though.
- Has a nice look and feel to it. The sliders move slowly and firmly, which is good. The black mesh matches my Cooler Master Elite 430 case.
- At the minimum 40% setting, my fans spin slowly and quietly. At the max setting, the fans are 100%. I like that I can control each individual fan.

Cons:
- The 4-pin Molex only has one of the grounds connected to an actual wire. NZXT cheaped out and neglected to provide a fourth wire to connect the second ground pinout so they could simply run three wires. Lame.
- Also the white LED doesn't tell you anything but is so bright that it bleeds through to the two sliders on the right closest to it. If you're picky about that sort of stuff, you'd have to block it off somehow.

Overall an excellent buy!
on December 21, 2009
This is probably one of the better fan controllers on the market, considering 90% of the fan controllers on the market are terrible. For 28 bucks, this is a pretty good deal. Ill break down the good and bad below:
Pro's:
-good price
-works fine
-lcd is cool to look at
-controls all my fans perfectly
-temp is more or less accurate
-Easy to install/use
Con's:
-Creates a huge mess of wires
-Wires are superglued to controller, so when taking it out, u have to take out all the temp sensors as well.
-Bad instruction manual, luckily it was fairly straightfoward anyways.
-BEWARE! THE COOLERMASTER FAN AMAZON SAYS IS FREQUENTLY BOUGHT WITH THIS PRODUCT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THIS FAN CONTROLLER!
It didn't work for me, or anyone else I have talked to. im pretty disappointed that amazon did not recognize that.
-Hasn't happened to me, but ive read lots of reports of screen breaking, and cust. serv. is a huge run around.

Like I said, for 28 bucks, this is a great deal. If it were $40, I would get something else, probably not w/ lcd. This controller is pretty much hit or miss, so good luck if you choose to buy it. If you get one that functions, then it ends up being a very useful and quality product. If not, then you're screwed.
-Nick
77 comments|115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2010
As far as the 3 pin connector issue presented by other reviewers.

I have bought 8 of these in the last 6 months and EVERY fan connector comes with a 3 to 4 pin adapter so its no problem there.

Another review complained that there are "too many wires".

Some people should not be building computers if they cannot take the time to route and secure wires.

As far as operation goes, all of my builds have been hassle free, everything working fine.

I never hook the cpu fan to this, always to the motherboard, that way if something happens to this controller, the mobo will continue to operate the cpu fan.

Leave plenty of the wire tucked in behind the controller, that way when you need to pull it to change the battery, you will not have to unhook anything, just change the battery and put the controller back in place. Its much easier if you have a second pair of hands available when changing the battery.
33 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2012
I've been using this fan controller for well over a year and have had no trouble with it at all. It's part of a high-end custom build.

The computer has 5 fans controlled by motherboard headers and 5 fans controlled by this device. The motherboard is an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX with "thermal radar" fan controls built in, CPU is an AMD FX8150 "Bulldozer" octocore. Everything is mounted in a Cooler Master 932 HAF case which has 3x240mm fans factory installed. CPU cooling is provided by a Corsair H70 water cooler with Delta fans in a push/pull configuration on the radiator.

Those Delta fans can get VERY loud at full power (3500 RPM @ 100+ CFM) and that is one of the main reasons I wanted a fan controller like this. @ 2000-2200 RPM they are nearly silent. This controller is very easy to adjust to get the performance you need without noise you don't need but still ramp up the fan RPMs when you really need the cooling power. The computer has a fairly serious overclock @ 4.0 GHz with a 4.6 GHz turbo. This works great BUT the VRMs tend to overheat (not the CPU) so I had to custom mod some smaller fans. I put a fan on the VRM heatsink, the RAM, and the North Bridge heatsink. The pump for the water cooling is on the motherboard CPU header, being a pump it needs to be at max. RPM constantly, CPU temp is controlled by the radiator fans.

I have the temp sensors strategically installed to run the fans. Here's my configuration-

TEMPS (Left side of controller) Fans (Right side of controller)

North Bridge Heatsink (110 F.) North Bridge Heatsink (2700 RPM)
RAM (105 F.) RAM (2000 RPM)
VRMs (Voltage Regulator Modules) (105 F.) VRMs (2000 RPM)
South Bridge Heatsink (125 F.) Radiator PUSH (2200 RPM Delta fan)
Radiator (105 F.) Radiator PULL (2000 RPM Delta fan)

At normal 24/7 operation the temps are set so that the fans are all cooling but quiet. When the temps approach the settings noted above they begin to ramp up the fan RPMs until the temps come back down below the set temperature. For a boost of cooling I switch the controller from manual to auto which at these settings boosts fan RPMs immediately to 25% and up MORE RPMs and then continues to ramp up the RPMS as things get hotter until all the fans are at 100% and max cooling is attained. Max cooling/RPMs NEVER happens with this configuration. The CPU idles at 100 F (38 C) and will climb to no higher than 122 F (50 C) under max load stress testing with AOD and Prime95.

This fan controller is perfect for my purposes and has worked flawlessly since it was installed over a year ago on a different motherboard/cpu which was recently upgraded to the Sabertooth 990FX/FX8150 current configuration. This system is on 24/7/365 and the controller is on when the system is on. I have had no problems with mine at all functionality-wise.

The controller board that goes in the case wants to occupy a card slot but all my slots have actual cards in them so I mounted it elsewhere in the case and ran the cable out under a mounted card with a rubber grommet to keep it from chafing. Though it is meant to mount in a card slot in the back of the case it doesn't actually require a PCI slot on the motherboard, that's just how it's designed to mount and it doesn't use the motherboard at all so you can mod it to mount where ever you want to put it as long as you can run the cable to the outside of the case.

The cable is plenty long enough to reach the top of my desk with plenty of slack to spare, rolling the computer in and out from under the desk is no problem, plenty of slack.

Having the fan controller on my desk instead of mounted in the case is why I bought this particular model. ALL my external drive bays are full with card reader, 3.0 USB, external SATA drive bays and DVD burners so I didn't want to take up real estate in my case with a fan controller mounted in the 5.25 drive bays. Sitting on my desk makes it a lot easier to read than a case mounted controller, the viewing angle on a case mounted controller can require some contortions to get down where it can be read, this obviates that problem. A glance at the controller sitting in front of my keyboard is all that's needed to monitor fans and temps. And it looks VERY high tech and cool also :)

I cannot speak for the other very negative reviews of this item but for my experience this is a very good compliment to a high-end expensive computer and a great way to keep track of what those high-end expensive parts are doing temperature-wise. If I need one I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one of these based on my personal experience.
on May 30, 2015
Purchased this unit as the integrated controller on my cabinet started acting up.

Had a very spesific need for a 5 1/4 bay unit, it had to be small enough since I already had 3.5" HDDs in 2 of my bays, and 2x SSDs (in one 3.5" to 2x 2.5" tray with 5 1/4 adapter (did you get all that? ;) ))

Looked at several units, and they were either too big, or looked too cheap.

This one looked to fit my need perfectly, and it did. Screwholes matched up perfectly on both this unit and the HDD tray behind it, securing everything in Place. Cables routed to the side of the drive and through one of the grommets to the cable management area.

Only issue I had with the device, is that the molex cable would not connect with my molex cable from PSU. Seemed like the pins were bent or too big or something. But that was a quick fix by cutting the cables and attaching a new molex which I had lying around.

Powered up like it was supposed to, and all fans work without a hitch.

If I was going to nitpick, it would be that some light escapes from the gap in the bay front..
review image
on February 6, 2011
I've been a big fan of NZXT products since 2004, and have always felt their products are well made. This controller got great reviews in the beginning, but the complaints started to roll in around mid-2010. This was concern and hoped NZXT would have resolved their manufacturing issues, but that wasn't my experience. When the product arrived, the appearance was absolutely beautiful. This was the best looking bay fan controller on the market. Further analysis of the construction showed very cheap manufacturing processes and no quality control. The two most obvious flaws were the transistors (not just one, but several of them) we not properly soldered to the board and the hot glue mess to secure the fan controller/thermal leads to their sockets. I took a chance and spent a good hour or so running the leads and probes. Maybe this product could still impress me.

Upon powering up, I noticed the screen had dead pixels, and visibility hard to make out any of the readings. If you were to look at the screen straight on everything comes in focus. If there's any interference from light or you look at this from even a slight angle many elements become visibly hard to make out. Moving past this, the controller functionality was faulty as well. All 5 3 pin fans are running and visible on screen, but 2 of them failed to register the RPM's. Some things I can deal with, but it was clear that this product was poorly made. Maybe not when first released and reviewed by many, but sometime down the road, NZXT went to a cheaper vendor or cheaper manufacturing processes.

Needless to say, I would not be recommending this product. I expect better workmanship from high dollar product such as this.
44 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2015
To start things this off this is the only fan controller I have bought/used. After building my PC my case fans were way too loud (three pin so connecting to the motherboard wouldn't do anything). So loud that I didn't even want to use my PC and regret my case (CM922 - which is a nice case otherwise). I bought the Sentry which can connect up to 5 fans and connected my three case fans to it. Installation was easy - I just screwed it into the slot and the wires were long enough to reach my rear case fan without any problem. I linked my fans together, set them to 40%, and my noise problem was gone. I don't think I'll ever have a PC without one of these again. The LCD turns off if you find it annoying and I haven't had any real problems with it. If your case fans are bothering you I highly recommend getting this.

I only used three pin fans but this supports 4 pin as well. Also it included zip ties.
review image review image
on November 29, 2011
There's not much more to be said other than that it works just fine, especially for the price. I bought this because the fan headers on my Gigabyte Z68 motherboard were awkwardly placed and too few in number for the fan set-up I planned to use. This controller is easy to install and has cables that are plenty long enough, which allowed me to connect the fans and then tuck the wiring neatly out of sight. The cables are also sleeved in black, if that matters to you. The build quality is good enough - it seats just fine in the drive bay and the sliders themselves do not seem to be flimsy at all. The mesh is a close but not perfect match to the mesh on the front of my Thermaltake case - not that you can tell more than a few feet away.
on April 18, 2012
This fan controller is the perfect addition to any desktop comp. I purchased this to control 2 front panel case fans in my Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case and it works like a charm. Initially, I was going to connect the fans directly to my power supply but after I heard how loud the fans were connected that way I decided to go with the NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller and I'm glad I did. Setup was fast and easy and the unit is solid, once in your computer case. The front on the controller is made of metal and the surrounding parts are made of plastic. All the fan wires are numbered 1-5 so there's no need trace cables to figure out what's connected to what. The controller DOES NOT turn your fans off, only has a "low" output (slider all the way down). So you will always have cool air circulating. On the low setting I really can't hear an increase in sound and on "high" (slider all the way up) there's an increase in sound but it's not roaring. NOTE: Fans connect to the controller by 3 pin and power is supplied by a molex connector. There is a single white light (always on) on the right side of the fan controller but imo it's not bright enough to be a distraction. Now you can go with a touch screen controller if you like but, when the screen goes out...you'll wish you bought this one, I'm just saying!
review image
on December 2, 2015
I installed the NZXT Sentry 3 fan controller in my Corsair 750d.

+ The first thing I noticed was that the cables weren't actually too messy. I thought it would leave cables all over the place but it wasn't that bad. I simply unraveled about 3 inches of the bundle of cables and re-wrapped the bundle with the twist tie it came with. I left it mostly bundled as it came from the factory. The cables coming from the fan were long enough to reach, so there wasn't too much additional wire mess from the fan controller.

~ The second thing I noticed was that the mounting holes seem to be uneven. I'm not sure if that's because of my case or the fan controller, so I didn't take off a star for that. (See attached pictures)

- However, and here is where I took off a star: the viewing angles are absolutely atrocious! My case is on the floor, and obviously I'm not, so I have to stoop down to the floor from my chair to see it. My case is also to the side of my desk, which makes the viewing angle even worse. Unless I look at it 100% straight on, it is difficult to see all the details of the screen. Very poor quality LCD screen and I didn't even think that could be a factor when purchasing.

Overall though, it does work well. It senses the RPM from my case fans perfectly and controlling them is a breeze. Running at 100% for maximum airflow when gaming, or the minimum of 40% for near perfect silence. Or the various auto-sensing modes based on readings from the temperature sensor which I hung between my CPU heatsink and exhaust fan (I didn't have time to to affix the sensor to the base of my heatsink's heatpipes yet). I "linked" the case fans together for changing all of them quickly and conveniently. Aside from the poor viewing angles, the Sentry 3 is a great value, it works well, and does what you would expect it to with an easy to use touchscreen UI.