Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her May The Best Garden Be Yours Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Shop Now DOTD

on June 18, 2010
Brent Butler hits the nail on the head in his review. If your knowledge of SEO is very limited or zero then this book is worth the price. If not, there are much better buys out there.

Firstly, as Mr Butler mentions, the amount of repetition and page filling is poor. It is obvious, blatant and unnecessary.

Secondly, you should note how a large section of the book is dedicated to PPC advertising and again uses page filling pictures to show completely unnecessary walk-throughs. Whilst PPC is part of any overall consideration in web exposure, it is not something I anticipated being used in way it is in this book. Furthermore, the extent to which the author covers PPC is matched only by the scant coverage given to the use of social media strategy. The latter is covered as if it doesn't matter and is of low value when countless other SEO experts will tell you of it's increasingly high worth.

The book also fails to mention any major directory outside of the USA, of which there are many of note. A major flaw in my opinion and an indication of a surprising one-nation viewpoint in such a global subject matter.

Personally, I found the book also failed to address the importance of valued content. It mentions it, but nothing like in the volume I thought it would. There are a number of typographical errors in the eBook too, not something I found reassuring.

In summary, buy it if you are a novice or relatively new to SEO. It is also worth the money if you just want a quick refresher of some of the points that can perhaps be forgotten too easily. However, if you work in any way connected to the web industry, site design or seek to make a living out of something else. The book has too many major flaws to be recommended as an authoritative guide or anything even approaching it.
on March 23, 2010
I was looking for fresh SEO content and SEO 2010 has a lot of great information. The style of writing makes it easy to plow through the information and as my 3 stars indicate I did like it. It could have gotten an additional star if it wasn't for the shameless plugs for the seo services of the author.

He mentions several times through out the book how expensive his services cost and if you have enough money he will help you to. The capper for me is when he recommended a submission service [...]. This is one spamming looking site with no PR that through up spam warnings from my Norton insight.

Also they offer to take your money but there was no security lock? And yes this website also offers the books authors SEO services. The book is supposed to be a Do it yourself guide not a pre-sell for SEO services. Depending on your skill level this book can be helpful. I wish he would have not thrown in all the plugs!
on April 4, 2010
I have never taken the time to write a review about anything, but I wanted to give credit where credit was due. I have been in the Internet Marketing industry for 12 years and looking to enhance my career with SEO knowledge. I have read 2 other SEO books and countless SEO articles online. The SEO for 2010 book is the most detailed, "how-to" guide I have found to date. I love how it specifically recommends what tools to use, where to go for more information, and all the "white-hat" advice. With so many companies offering SEO services, it's hard to decipher which advice to take. The recommendations in this book match some of the industry articles I have read, which lead me to believe I can trust what the authors are teaching. Even though there are some typos in the kindle version, I honestly don't mind since the content is otherwise well written. Can't wait to get the 2011 version which I am sure will speak about the Yahoo and Microsoft Search Alliance (I hope).
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 10, 2010
I ordered SEO for 2010 about a month ago for my wife's new wealth management and investment management website, [...] This was a great purchase as the author did a fantastic job laying out the steps for intermediate website optimization. The site has already moved up in rankings just within a matter of weeks and is already number 2 on google for several key words.
on March 9, 2010
This book has been instrumental in helping me quickly understand the most accessible ways to optimize my site for search engines. There are no shorts cuts in this book. There are no promises. There are no guarantees. There is just straight "anecdotal" fact (as close as it can come to fact) with free helpful ways (links to tools) to scientifically test what the author suggests and recommends.

To be forthright, the authors do run or own SEO consulting companies, and there is every so gently a sales pitch slanted in that direction in this book, but rest assured that is only 1% of the books text, and it is of the nature "yes, this can get complicated, I'm still going to explain it to you, but I also understand if you are ready to hand this over to professionals, which we at <my company> will gladly help you with."

However, seriously, don't let that concern you or let it get in the way of taking a gander at this book. If you are a neophyte in SEO and haven't been keeping up for a few years, I highly recommend this book to get you back up to speed with the current state of the art. The information is comprehensive, and if you ever think the author is talking through his hat and making stuff up...just go to google or bing with what he suggests and check it out for yourself. Most of the techniques are trivial to implement and silly not to in the same realm of "what can it hurt to try it".

This book specifically advises against what you deep down know and suspect to be wrong. Link spamming, keyword stuffing, and many other exotic but disingenuous SEO techniques. His best advice is to make content that is worthwhile for someone to check you out and the search engines to link people to you deserve traffic? Along with that, how to make that content "optimized" for search engine consumption. It's startling in it's simplicity, but it's good to know that there are some well understood techniques that may only take slight modification of what you are already doing naturally.

I read this book in a week and that was a busy week for me no less. I made notes of what I needed to do, what applied for me and my site, and have implemented 75% of my plan in the same week. I now look forward to the perpetual carrying out of the remaining 25% as a light and interesting burden.
VINE VOICEon September 19, 2010
I am in the process of reading the Kindle version of this book. Although I am only two-thirds of the way through it, I found the content quite useful but a major drawback in my overall reading experience was the fact that there were multiple instances of what appear to have been editorial comments left in the text as well as incomplete sentences. For example the following are word-for-word examples found within Chapter 8:

"This chapter will focus on the top two Pay-Per-Click companies. Why? Because there were three - Google AdWords, Yahoo! Search Marketing, and Microsoft adCenter. Now however, Bing which is owned by Microsoft and is now doing advertising for Yahoo! (Jen's note: are Google Adwords and Bing the top two companies? You need to clearly specify.)"

"He went on to state why he still had to keep an ad but basically it was because he has a senior demographic which is about the only demographic besides the telephone ad sales people that crack open a telephone book. (Jen's note: I'd take this last sentence out - I don't think it is very helpful to the essence of this chapter - and in fact, detracts from it. If you decide to keep it, let me know - the sentence structure needs to be reworked)."

Obviously this is only one of a large and growing number of books available on the subject of SEO. I admittedly chose it over several others due to the fact that it had 2010 in its title and I assumed that this meant that it would have the latest and greatest information about the subject matter. I suspect that in their rush to make the book available, someone neglected to perform the sort of elementary proof-reading and/or editorial work that any reader would expect to have been done for any book prior to it being published.

The authors continually trumpeted their own expertise and experience in the field of SEO throughout the book and I found this a bit annoying. Even though I purchased the book in an effort to learn how to improve the SEO of my own website on my own, the authors constantly hinted and even stated outright at times that this is not something that should be left to amateurs. I would offer the same advice to them when it comes to publishing a book.
on October 13, 2010
I have a decent grasp of SEO, and purchased this book for my Kindle in the hope of picking up a few new, helpful tips. Unfortunately, this book is so poorly edited that it is virtually unreadable. Beyond the abundant typos, it is actually chock-full of notes from the proofreader! (For example, "Jen's note: expand on this point more.") This was annoying and distracting.

Also distracting was the author's habit of frequently mentioning his own SEO company and how they supposedly have so many clients amazed by their services. He would usually follow this up with a remark about how SEO is best left to the "professionals." If that's how he feels, why publish a book under the pretense of offering guidance to newbies?

I think the author knows the subject well, but poor editing and his desire to shamelessly promote his own company get in the way. Virtually everything contained herein can be found for free on the web anyway.

Only check this one out if you're willing to suffer through endless typos and the author's self-promotion.
on April 8, 2010
I stayed up until 2 in the morning reading and implementing about 90% of chapters 1-4. There were certain things I couldn't implement like ensuring my domain name included my keywords (already established). When I woke up this morning, I went from the bottom of page 3 to the bottom of page 2 from just changing my page titles, image optimazation, researching the BEST (not common or most competitive) "trophy" keywords, etc.

This book is
-step by step
-recommends/explains great tools to use
-easy to follow
-an interesting read with great topics

With 10 more chapters to go who knows... Like the book says, good page rank doesn't happen over night.
on July 13, 2010
I have no time to read about the history of the Internet, so this book focuses on how to get to the point without going over the history and that is what I was looking for. I needed to understand about SEO before I pick a vendor to help us with our SEO, so guess what I hired Sean Odom team to help us to get our site optimized on the internet. I highly recommended.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse