Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on January 1, 2012
After reading the 2010 book I decided to get the 2011 version as the 2010 taught me a lot that I did not know about SEO. The 2011 version was the same book as the 2010 including the cover. Thinking of giving Mr. Odom one more chance for this year I decided to go ahead and purchase the 2012 version hoping for the best since it had a new cover to it. I am up to chapter six already and I am very disappointed with what I have read thus far. Another person name Jacob Matthew wrote a review that the book keeps getting better year after year and this new one for 2012 offers so much new stuff in it??? WTF? Are you reading the same book??

Let me give you some examples so users do not think I am some type of competitor trying to bash their company. Chapter 1 is practically word for word the same as the prior book. Chapter 2, the only new information I can find in it is on page 30 which throws in 2 extra bullet points about wordpress and pagespeed.googlelabs.com. The rest of chapter 2 is word for word as the prior book (i put them side by side (2011 and 2012)) it even uses the same example about Sacramento Excavating Contractors for meta tags in this chapter. The least the author could have done was use another real or virtual company for an example to make me feel that I am getting some type of my money's worth. Moving on, chapter 3 is the same steps as the 2011 version of the book to submitting your site to search engines. What the author failed to do unfortunately was check the links he was providing since they were not working in the 2011 book. Here is an example, Step 12 page 75, submitting to NationalDirectory.com. National directory's link that he provides is broken and the site does not even look like the screen shot he provided, it also didn't look this way in 2011, a little common sense would be to either take this step out or update this page with something relevant since national directory is a mortgage site now. The other step I am happy to see that he did take out was the step for submitting your site to lii.org. Page 94 the start of chapter 5, Sean talks about his client which is the same client as the 2011 book word for word with the same picture. Another thing that got me pretty pissed off is the fact that he did not even update the Google base section (which is not called Google Base anymore), just skimming through that section, the least he could have done was change it to the proper name since Google Base's name was changed in 2009 to Google Merchant Center.

I am just baffled by all of this and I am going to write Mr. Odom an email and would appreciate my money back for this book that my girlfriend bought for me for Christmas that I was so excited to get, but halfway through the book so far, I am very disappointed. How are authors allowed to come out with the same book that is practically word for word? It is a scam and these people need to get sued. I am hoping to change this review as I complete the rest of book, and if I find anything different or beneficial information that is different from the 2011 version I will make another review. Mr. Odom if you are reading this, you are a sneak, and scam, and if you plan to write a book that is about 2012, then do not just reprint your 2010 and 2011 version and expect people not to notice. People like me who are heavily into SEO will pick it up after reading the first few pages. Shame, shame, shame... Shame on you! By the way, I also reviewed your 2011 SEO book and gave it 2 stars for the same reason I am writing this review about the 2012 version. If you need to get in contact with me please do so by leaving a comment and I will be happy to respond.
on January 31, 2012
Very low quality book. The purpose of the book is to get you to hire him. He has taught nothing new about SEO here.

Also, notice that he has massive fake reviews on all his books. If you go look at his SEO 2011 book, you can see he was called out on it.
on April 12, 2012
Seriously, this shouldn't even be available in Amazon. I was looking for a quality source for updated information about SEO which it certainly looked like this book was... WRONG. This book is an overly basic and poorly written pile. Don't buy it. If you want to learn about SEO pick up Search Engine Optimization (SEO): An Hour a Day or just start reading SEOmoz.org.

One example, on page 49 while talking about meta robots, he says "Noodp: Prevents the search from using the page's description." Now anyone who's done any SEO knows that is not what the noodp meta robots tag accomplishes. That's just plain wrong. In fact, the reason for using Noodp is so that the search engine will pull the meta description from your site and NOT from the Open Directory Project.

Not to mention he's still suggesting that his readers use the meta keywords tag, which has been obsolete since at least 2009 [...]. Sure, maybe some obscure search engine that sends you 1 visitor a year may factor in meta keywords, but seriously?

He also suggests still submitting sites to Alexa as a quality way to improve rankings, talks about Google Instant like it just launched (it launched in 2010), and covers basic PPC which isn't SEO at all.

There is no mention of Google +, the Panda update last year, or any useful information about social media implications for 2012.

Somehow this book has received some good reviews, but trust me. Don't waste your money on this crap. I'm sending this back today (if I can).
on June 17, 2014
There is a wealth of information in this book about search engine optimization. I have been a novice web developer for years and found a lot of useful information within. Just make sure you check the year because this type of book gets dated real fast!
on April 5, 2012
I'd give it a zero if I could! I don't know who gave this book a 5star rating but beware. The grammar is horrible, spelling errors abound, and his site--which he references in the first chapter--is a PR 0 and looks really spotty. BUYERS BEWARE! The book has super special secrets like trying to tell you about bots and spiders. Really?! Anyone that has been in SEO for more than an hour knows that. Next day return/refund for quality issues. I'll be looking elsewhere for my SEO reading.
on April 5, 2012
After purchasing this book and expecting helpful information as portrayed in the previous reviews, I was completely disappointed when I began reading it. The first chapter was not only full of grammatical errors, but it was lacking in relevant content as well. Needless to say I returned the book without reading the entire thing, but I have a good feeling that it was not going to give me what I was looking for, real SEO information. Plus, the book's website boasts a Page Rank of zero and it is difficult to find via search engine. I don't know about you, but I do not want to get SEO advice from someone who does not use it for his own website.
on February 8, 2012
I have been blogging for about 3 years and make an OK amount of money doing so, but I would always like to improve and make more. I was hoping this book would help me (higher pr and serps equal more visitors, therefore more money, right?). It did not.

It appears that the 2 authors wrote 2 separate books and then mashed them together. There are many grammatical and spelling errors. The oddest thing is that they mention that on-page optimization accounts for something like 30%, while off-page counts for the other 70% (I'm not sure on the exact percentage that they gave, but something like that), but they only discuss off-page for something like 20% of the book!

Also, for a book that calls itself "SEO for 2012" and it is only a little over 1 month into that year, the information should be extremely up-to-date; it is not. Half of the websites they mention are gone or the information they discuss has changed. And I know one of the sites they suggest paying for is owned by at least one of the authors, with no disclosure.

If you are a beginner, you may find some helpful information, otherwise save your 10 bucks.
on February 4, 2013
I bought this book a few months ago and I really like it a lot. In fact, it is one of the few online marketing books that i have bought over the years that i keep right by my desk (the others are collecting dust on my bookshelf). If you are a small business owner (which i am), then this book will be very useful for you to learn about SEO, to get started with it and to improve your results. I find the chapters to be very easy to follow and overall this is just a solid book.
on October 21, 2012
I have bought the SEO for 2010, 2011 and 2012. Every year Sean Odom and Lynell Allison guide us through the important algorithm changes. Being in the search engine optimization business myself for over 12 years has given me a vast knowledge on the subject. However, I still look forward to reading Search Engine Optimization Made Easy every year as it's filled with tips that everyone can use. I'm hoping 2013 includes a large section on mobile as it seems that is the direction we are heading!
on June 2, 2012
Very happy with this book. I hired a romanian to do some starter SEO stuff for my site while I read up on how to do it myself. This book has let me catch some of the corner cutting and half assed work he has tried to pass off with the robot.txt and site map. This book is a very inexpensive way to get yourself upto speed with the basics learning where to submit your site to search sites, and the basic stuff you need to do on your own site to score better on the SEO. While this book has a lot of info on on site optimization, it lacks info on off site stuff. If there was a 2nd book for off site stuff I would buy it as this book was an easy to understand book that was a very quick read and has helped me out quite a bit, mostly in not paying someone for the crappy work they have done so far.