Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

VINE VOICEon May 28, 2001
Monopoly is fun, but it takes FOREVER to play, those trivia games are too hard for the kids, Dad can't even draw a stick figure, let alone play Pictionary, and you don't want to spend an hour just setting up an elaborate game and reading the instructions.
So what's the solution? Play QUIDDLER!! Our family loves this game - you can complete a whole game in an hour or less (or you could stop half-way through and finish the game the next evening). In Quiddler, you create words, but unlike Scrabble, it's not always the one with the best vocabulary who gets the most points. You try to make words out of all your letters - there might be a long word which gets lots of points, but it might be little brother over there who is able to make several short words who gets the "most words" bonus and jumps ahead of everyone else!
We played this game last night and were surprised how fast things change - someone who is way ahead after the 3rd round can be behind after the 4th. Just one round can dramatically change things!
Pick a dictionary and let that be your judge on whether or not something is a word. Be sure to find the dictionary BEFORE you start playing because you'll need it!
We've played this game with 4, 5, and 6 people. Anywhere from 1 to 8 people can play - now that's a versatile game!
This is one game where a child isn't necessarily at a disadvantage when playing with adults.
The cards are beautiful - be sure to take time during your fun family evening to notice them!
After loving this game, I bought Set for Christmas and we're going to play this one tonight! ... .
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 26, 2000
this game is very easy to pick up and play right out of the box. A total of eight hands are dealt which makes the game short and sweet. We play without a dictionary which is more fun. The players vote on whether we think a word is valid and majority rules. The game really bogs down with players constantly looking up words. The first person to be able to play their whole hand, with one card as a discard, goes out and the rest of the players have one turn to put down as many words as possible. Points are scored based on letter value and some cards have more than one letter such as "qu" or "cl". You lose points for letters that can't be played. You cant play your cards on another players word. Highest score after 8 hands is the winner. Spelling and game usually don't go well together but this is a fun game for any age. I personally like Five crowns better.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 25, 1999
Everyone at our house is looking for the dictionary to help find the best word to use the cards we have been dealt or have drawn. Because it is always challenging (and to avoid disputes) we would recommend the Scrabble Dictionary or a good pocket dictionary as a traveling companion to Quiddler.
The progressive play of the cards (from 3 to 10 cards) changes the dynamics as you begin each round of play and creates new challenges each turn. Perhaps our family is not as competitive as some but we enjoy helping each player optimize the letters (cards) s/he is caught with after the first player goes down. We can all join in finding the best combinaton of words from each players hand to give him/her the best score with the available cards. It is interesting how many options can be found with the same set of letters... very educational and a lot of fun.
I like the solitaire version also... if I have no-one else to play with.
on October 5, 1999
"Quiddler," not exactly a household word, but guaranteed, five years from now it will roll off tongues as easily as "Scrabble." Like Scrabble, Quiddler is a word game where points are scored by letters used in spelling words; unlike Scrabble, it's played with cards in a sequence of eight hands, which makes it a quicker game. The deck is portable, great to throw in the suitcase for a trip. Playing in the car or on a plane is no problem. A couple of hands of Quiddler while your child waits to see a doctor or dentist provide a distraction as well as entertain. Quiddler challenges every age group from age 8 and can be played by just adults, just kids, or a mixture without losing its appeal. I could go on about Quiddler's educational value, vocabulary building, but the bottom line in playing games is the question, "Will I have Fun?" For Quiddler, the answer a simple "Indeed."
on July 19, 1999
I have been playing Quiddler for several months. This is a fast-paced game. It's a lot of fun and challenging too. The more you play the game, the more aware you become of words since the difficult letters, such as J, Z, Q, and V and W, have higher point values. I am admittedly very competitive when playing games. I find that as I am reading books or the newspaper, I focus on words that contain letters with the higher point values, then I try to use these new words when I am playing the game. What a wonderful way to increase your vocabulary and spelling capabilities. I recommend this game for kids as young as 4 or 5 but as a perennial kid ten times that age, I have a lot of fun playing Quiddler! This game should be in all of the classrooms too--let's get kids hooked on Quiddler--a great way to improve their English skills. Marie Wilson, Fountain Hills AZ
on October 29, 1999
My family started out playing Five Crowns (by the same company) but now Quiddler is our favorite game. Making words is much more challenging than compiling runs or sequences of numbers, and sometimes you come up with some hilarious combinations of words in a single hand. Fast paced and challenging, without being too complicated, Quiddler is one of the best games I have ever played (and I'm not much of a game player!)
on June 30, 2000
Word games can be intimidating if you don't have a great vocabulary, but don't let that scare you away from this GREAT game. Instead of kicking yourself for not having a great word, concentrate on strategy. Be the first one to put your word(s) down. Or hold off until someone else does and then see if you can steal a bonus away from them. Put on your poker face and keep the others guessing.
You earn bonus points for having the longest word or the most words. That makes simple words work for you. Just pray you don't get stuck with a fistful of consonants without vowels!
This is a favorite family game. It's fast paced and don't take a whole lot of time to play a round. There's nothing complicated about it so it's easy to bring along when you travel. A word to the wise: pick a dictionary before you start and agree that if a word's not in there, it doesn't count.
on July 19, 2001
Reading all the positive reviews, I'm wondering if we all played the same game. In a nutshell, this game is far too easy, far too short, and not very interesting. The winner is more determined by who goes first than anything else, and frankly, the letter distribution is such that it is near impossible not to make a word immediately. My wife and I played this game two or three times before we were utterly bored. This is contrast to "Word Thief", also a Scrabble like word card game. That game, however, is far more challenging, much more involved, and will last more than 5 minutes, and can be played with as little as two players. Buy "Word Thief", and forget "Quiddler".
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 20, 2002
I bought this game as a gift for my parents- age 82 and 83- and they have played it non stop. My Dad was becoming very discouraged with his ability to remember things. He now has a new lease on life since he finally beat my mother, the excellent wordsmith. I've enjoyed playing it with them - it's a challenge.
on January 10, 2000
Santa gave Quiddler to my 10-yr. old; my 10-yr. old gave Quiddler to me for Christmas . . . and then there were two! We have had so much fun playing this game. It is quick enough that nobody gets bored. Vocabulary has grown; we frequently (silently) think of possible Quiddler words while going about our normal busy days. The best thing? My 10-year old finally has a game at which she can win . . . and I'm a professional wordmeister! And as a side note, this game really solidifies double (and triple) digit addition. This would be a great game for classroom freetime (Grades 3-12).