4.0 out of 5 stars Needs improvement
Downloads & runs fine on HTC Incredible running 2.3.4. Gameplay is smooth. It it a fun game. I deducted 1 star because there is no way to exit the game save hitting the home button. You would figure that hitting the back button would suffice, but sadly it doesn't. Other than that, I find nothing wrong with this app.
Published on December 16, 2011 by Justin J. James

3.0 out of 5 stars Some shortcomings
Published on December 16, 2011 by Josh

3.0 out of 5 stars Some shortcomings, December 16, 2011
This review is from: Bird's the Word (App)
No way to close the app other than to force close it and required Facebook integration. Sorry but no thank you. I don't have a Facebook account and I don't like the idea of a game running in the background using resources if I'm not playing it. And that's a bit of a bummer because it was fun to play. The game is solid and fun, but from a development point of view it seems unfinished at best. If these kinds of things don't bother you then give it a go, I bet you'll like it.

3 stars for the game itself being fun, but needs further development IMO.

3.0 out of 5 stars No way to exit the game cleanly., December 16, 2011
This review is from: Bird's the Word (App)
For a word game, it's not bad. It installs and runs smoothly (no crashes). There are three modes of play for variety (and a challenge mode, if you have a facebook account).

The one thing that really bugs me about this app, however, is the lack of a way to quit the game. The funniest thing is that the back-key quit comes free--it's already part of the UI thread (the part of the program that puts stuff on the screen). They had to add programming to deactivate it. In the onPause() method, they could have simply checked isFinishing(), then do any cleanup needed before closing the app. But no. Adding a menu button would have been almost as simple. All apps should have a way to quit, other than having the user manually force closing it themselves.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me until some issues are resolved, December 16, 2011
This review is from: Bird's the Word (App)
"Bird's the Word" installed fine on my Kindle Fire. The game itself is another variant of the classic "Bookworm," which I've played many times on my PC and iPad. It also reminds me of another Android word game, "Dabble."

I tried each play mode - Classic, Timed, and Word Worm. What I disliked most was that each mode is timed with a countdown clock (the game ends when the clock reaches zero). You can pause the timer, but the dropdown box that opens covers almost the whole screen, so it doesn't help you to come up with words. If you enjoy the pressure of timed games, you may like "Bird's the Word," but I prefer word games where I can take my time and come up with the best word I can make, without a clock running down. I did not play the Challenge mode, where you connect with Facebook friends.

Two other issues:
1. The Kindle Fire's back arrow has been disabled by the app. The only way to close the app is to press the Home icon.
2. It appears that the app continues running, or at least stays loaded, even after turning the Kindle Fire off.

If the developer will address these issues and will offer an untimed version, I would give the app 3 or 4 stars, but as it is, I'm just deleting it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did the developers even TEST this app???, December 16, 2011
This review is from: Bird's the Word (App)
I was SO fully prepared to give this a decent rating. I played SEVERAL rounds, actually, not just a few. I initially had no problems playing the Classic, Timed, AND Word Worm levels. Be aware that BEFORE I even played this game, I used TASK KILLER to close almost everything unecessary to have the most memory available to play this game and give it a fighting chance, as well as used a fresh, full battery. All was good.... Then I said to myself, "hmmm... I've only been playing this for about 20 minutes, let's give it more time..." and I'm glad I did. First, I tried to EXIT. Backspace did NOTHING....just continued to stay at the home screen and spout out the music. Then I went back to the games, played some more, then used the right-hand button to go back to the home screen to try to exit.... NOTHING. I clicked my PHONE'S Home button, got there, and used TASK KILLER AGAIN to close this app. THIS IS WHAT THE DEVELOPER HAD IN MIND FOR USERS TO CLOSE THE APP? If you are currently having no problems after just a short amount of gameplay, do yourself a favor and trying playing this app for an hour or so to make sure it doesn't fizzle out after semi-extended gameplay.

Ok... I reboot, and try again. THIS TIME I played 2 or 3 short games, and in the middle of selecting a word, it FREEZES UP COMPLETELY just like everyone else here is reporting. This time, NOTHING would get me back to my phone's HOME SCREEN. So I do a battery pull, and reboot. NOW I notice my phone is completely dim, so I check the battery level.... ALMOST ZERO PERCENT. This app, in less than an hour, SUCKED THE ENTIRE FRESH, NEWLY CHARGED BATTERY in record time, more than I have ever seen any app do ever before.

VERDICT: This app had such GOOD POTENTIAL and was semi-fun to play, but the actual game play was COMPLETELY RUINED by a developer who pushed this app out so prematurely without any refinements at all that it's just...well... unplayable. And if you can't even play it without it assaulting your phone, it has no worth. And no worth equals one star, sorry. This developer is going to have to make a LOT OF CHANGES before this app is usable by the majority of the population and post these changes on the app description before it has a chance of resurrecting itself from the smoldering ashes of one-star reviews. As for ME, I'll keep it WAY on the back burner and perhaps dust it off and replay it if I see the developer is sincere in trying to improve playability of this app. If not, it's HISTORY.

1.0 out of 5 stars lame, December 16, 2011
This review is from: Bird's the Word (App)
This game force closes. This game freezes. The only good thing about it is that you can uninstall it easy.

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like it, December 16, 2011
This review is from: Bird's the Word (App)
I love word games so I tried this one. Cute game, somewhat original idea. The game is somewhat sluggish which isn't good for a timed game. But the real problem is on about the third level the screen stops responding so you can't play, but the timer keeps running. Had to force close.
It has a classic and a timed mode, but even classic has a timer, so I don't get that.
Installed. Droid 2.

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs improvement, December 16, 2011

1.0 out of 5 stars Crash. Crash. acrash, December 16, 2011
This review is from: Bird's the Word (App)
As others have said. Will not run on OG Droid. Never gets past the first screen. Dev really needs to test app or at least provide a usable device list.

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't close., December 16, 2011
This review is from: Bird's the Word (App)
Runs fine for me, but no way to close it? "Back" button on the phone is disabled? Doesn't make sense.

3.0 out of 5 stars Massive Battery Use, December 16, 2011
This review is from: Bird's the Word (App)
Pretty fun, but I got through two levels and it had sucked down 30% of my battery life. Needs an update to fix whatever destroys the battery.

Bird's the Word