5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful resource for the price. Missing two essentials.
This is a review of the Kindle edition.

Published on September 4, 2011 by B. Marold

1.0 out of 5 stars Not A Useful Edition
Notes on the text and line numbering would have been helpful. But the biggest problem here is all the typographical errors, sometimes in crucial passages. This edition cannot be used for study purposes, and without the notes it's not that conducive to leisurely reading either.
Published on February 12, 2012 by Murph

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful resource for the price. Missing two essentials., September 4, 2011
This review is from: THE COMPLETE PLAYS OF SHAKESPEARE (Illustrated and Commented Edition) All of William Shakespeare's Unabridged Plays AND Yale Critical Analysis) THE COMPLETE ... (The Complete Works of Shakespeare Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is a review of the Kindle edition.

To get the complete works of Shakespeare for such a pittance is certainly a steal, especially given the poor reviews posted for the much more expensive Oxford edition of Shakespeare. But, there are two drawbacks. First, there are virtually no notes. Shakespeare's English was different from ours, and he used words in special ways. Notes explaining these things are not essential, but they keep you from making a mistake if you quote something which you misinterpret due to an archaic word usage. Were it not for the rediculously inexpensive price, I would have dropped my rating down to four stars. The second omission is the line numbering which is common in all good editions of Shakespeare's plays. Of course, for these few coins, you get an active table of contents to the plays, plus an active table of contents for the acts and scenes in each play, plus good commentaries. If all you want is to read the plays, you can't go wrong. The one thing which makes up for all omissions is the ability to search the complete works of Shakespeare for a particular word or phrase. This is so much more powerful than even a good word index. If I took my three books to a desert island, Shakespeare, Plato, and the Bible, they would all have to be searchable, with the Bible searchable in Greek and Hebrew, and Plato searchable in Greek.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not A Useful Edition, February 12, 2012

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the Yale, September 11, 2011
A number of years ago, Yale had a complete Shakespeare come out that was wonderful. This is not that edition. The problem is this is not annotated and referenced. You want the plays, that is exactly what you are going to get. Nothing more. Buy the cheaper edition if that is what you want, the Yale critical analysis is nice, but it is not going to be a big help to the casual reader who wants something as simple as a definition of an obscure word.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Price, Convenient, severly lacking in most areas, August 29, 2012
I am currently taking a class on Shakespeare at a local university where it is a requirement for the English education program. As such, I went ahead and purchased the two volume The Norton Shakespeare: Based on the Oxford Edition (Second Edition) (Vol. 1: Early Plays and Poems) from the University book store. I did this because I love Norton Anthologies, and so that in the future when I teach Shakespeare I can distribute copies from the Norton as it has great glosses, footnotes, and introductions to each work.

Now, I intentionally bought this edition for the Yale critical analyses. I also knew it would not have footnotes, glosses, line numbers, etc. All of which I was willing to accept for the convenience of being able to have access to the plays during class without the necessity of a large several thousand page Norton collection.
However, contrary to what some other reviewers have stated, the formatting is horridly inconvenient. For example,
" Sampson
Gregory, o' my word, we'll not carry coals.
Gregory
No, for then we should be colliers.
Sampson
I mean, an we be in choler, we'll draw.
Gregory
Ay..."
and so on. Of course, the names are italicized in this kindle edition, but this type of formatting is just simply ridiculous and makes the text more confusing than it might already be. Just simply stick to the standard format "name:text". Why they would always, and I do mean ALWAYS, put the character names on a separate line is completely beyond me.

With that being said, there is something about having a more pure version of the plays that aren't so laden down with textual notes, numbering, and the like. Once you have a good grasp on the material, it can be easier to read through it uninterrupted without all the notes.

Ultimately, however, I always read the plays from my Norton version and use this kindle version exclusively for the convenience of having access to it in class. Aside from people who already own the text in a another form, this version is sub par. The only thing that makes it worth the purchase is the introduction to the book, though what I have read of it is, as of yet, unimpressive.

The moral of this caustic tale?
Useful as a supplement, horrible for reading.
buy a different version.

1.0 out of 5 stars The scenes in Henry V are out of order., June 9, 2013
Lots of typos, no line numbers and the scenes in Henry V are out of order. Act III, sc 4 is entered as Act II, sc. 4. Very bad

1.0 out of 5 stars Table of contents unreadable, April 9, 2013
The table of contents appears as blue lines--no text. I can click on a blue line, and then a play pops up, but I cannot choose where I go. Have to thumb through the whole thing to get to Hamlet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for School, February 25, 2011
A Kid's Review
I was assigned to read Hamlet at school and I decided to buy this. I really liked the fact that this one comes with a lot of additional stuff and essays that other people have written about Shakespeare because they helped me understand the play a lot better. I would recommend this for anyone in school wh has to study one or more of Shakespeare's plays.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the complete works, January 13, 2013
I am new to Kindle so am having difficulty finding passages, but it has seems to contain only a few of Shakespeare's plays.
Therefore the product is seriously mislabeled.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very complete, July 8, 2013
Kathleen L. Ferguson (Des Moines, IA United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this because I wanted the text of "Much Ado About Nothing." Although some of the plays are accessible, this one does not work at all, I just get a message that the Kindle is not responding. Very disappointing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shakespeare on Kindle Fire, May 31, 2013
I ordered this because my 10 year old wanted to read Shakespeare (yes, really!). I was delighted to find this for a mere $0.99.

Unfortunately, it never loads properly on my Kindle. Attempting to read "The Tempest", which is 95% of the way through, invariably leads to an error message "Amazon Kindle is not responding. Would you like to close it?"

Very annoying.

I wish I could actually make use of this, I really do. Maybe if I use the Kindle app for my computer I'll have better luck.

Rate and Discover Movies